Beginning low carb

lindiloo62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am keen to try low carb but don't want to complicate it. Would it be classed low carb if I cut out obvious carbs i.e. bread, potatoes,rice and pasta?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am keen to try low carb but don't want to complicate it. Would it be classed low carb if I cut out obvious carbs i.e. bread, potatoes,rice and pasta?

low carb is cosidered low carb by most when you get under 50 or even 30 grams of carbs a day..

I myself am only doing lower carb when I am around 100 grams of carbs a day, but must admit it easily creeps up til 150 grams of carbs a day, which is not low carb

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Hi @lindiloo62 - a good place to start low carb is on this website. If you go to the home page you can click on Join the Low Carb Programme which takes you through each week giving tips and recipe ideas. I did this and then moved on to further lowering the carbs on the dietdoctor.com website. Good luck, it really works.

Reactions: lindiloo62

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
It would be a good start to cut out the obvious carbs. Your version may swing in several directions. Take breakfast for example, you might be a bacon, eggs, mushroom, onions, tomatoes person or nuts, berries and yogurt. For some it could even be meat or fish with vegetables and or salads. You may find that it is hard to get through all the food combinations that give you variety and satiety.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep things very simple. I eat 1/3 avocado with each meal

Bf is avocado and celery
Lunch is some protein avocado and raw above ground crunchy veggies
Dinner is some protein, avocado and either steamed green veggies or a salad drizzled with olive oil and sea salt
Snacks are a few nuts or olives.

I precook and freeze in my portions loads of protein and defrost what I'm in the mood for. I always have canned salmon and tuna as well as hard boiled eggs on hand. Percooked lamb shrimp chicken and turkey. Also lots of fresh and frozen veggies. Then a variety of frozen fish. Then all I do is assemble a meal

That being said I am below 20 carbs a day and all in green veg, avocado and nuts.

Your limit is your limit. I don't find this complicated at all. Though I sure could make it be !

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
I've not long begun doing the low carb diet, I'm finding it interesting for the combination of foods put together for meals & for the reaction of insulin requirements (both basal & bolus, which is great!!) however the recipes I find online are American & using imperial measurements!! Is there a similar site which uses metric, saving conversions & confusion? I have app & bookmarks for the conversions, but CBA todo all the time for each recipe!!!
Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've not long begun doing the low carb diet, I'm finding it interesting for the combination of foods put together for meals & for the reaction of insulin requirements (both basal & bolus, which is great!!) however the recipes I find online are American & using imperial measurements!! Is there a similar site which uses metric, saving conversions & confusion? I have app & bookmarks for the conversions, but CBA todo all the time for each recipe!!!
Thanks

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes

The recipes here have a button that switches from US to metric measurements.

Reactions: Ultramum