Breakfast

lindiloo62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was initially put off low carb because I thought I had to have a cooked breakfast. I know know I can have yogurt nuts and berries. My question is what yogurt is best and can i have the coconut Greek yogurt??? Many Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't have to have any breakfast... but if you want to try something check out the label on the back.. if it's less than 5g of carbs per 100g them give it a go and see what to does to your blood sugars. Measure before and 2 hours after eating. If it raises you more than you like then you know not to have it.. if its ok then fill your boots (well not literally as that won't make it taste very nice....)

Reactions: col101
D

Deleted Account

Definitely avoid low fat yoghurt as these have higher carbs.
However, any fruit yoghurt will be more carbs than the 5g per 100g @bulkbiker suggests.

May2017

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. This morning i had only an apple for breakfast. My BC was 7 when i woke. I just tested before my lunch and my BC is 9.7.
Am concerned why its so high.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. This morning i had only an apple for breakfast. My BC was 7 when i woke. I just tested before my lunch and my BC is 9.7.
Am concerned why its so high.
It's because an apple is a high carb/sugar item so will cause your blood sugar to spike. It is not a great food for someone with Type 2 so for you it's not "healthy". A boiled egg would have been so much better, or fried or poached especially with bacon...

Reactions: dbr10

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was initially put off low carb because I thought I had to have a cooked breakfast. I know know I can have yogurt nuts and berries. My question is what yogurt is best and can i have the coconut Greek yogurt??? Many Thanks
I have full fat Greek yoghurt (either Fage or Yeo Valley) with either raspberries or blueberries and about a tablespoon of flax seed for breakfast most days. Not sure about the coconut one though - have a look at the label or test your BS to see how it has been affected.

May2017

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's because an apple is a high carb/sugar item so will cause your blood sugar to spike. It is not a great food for someone with Type 2 so for you it's not "healthy". A boiled egg would have been so much better, or fried or poached especially with bacon...
Thanks, have taken this advise today.
Always been a bad breakfast eater...this has to change

Hotpepper20000

Thanks, have taken this advise today.
Always been a bad breakfast eater...this has to change
If you are not hungry in the morning don't eat. Some mornings I don't feel like eating and I don't until 11 am.
For years it's been popular to say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. For Type 2 we are the most insulin resistant in the morning do not eating gives our pancreas a bit of a longer break.
Intermittent fasting along with LCHF seems to work for many on this forum to became more insulin sensitive.

type1lozzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been having alpro soya yougert with berries in the morning for breckfast and my bs levels are fine having that.