Set change disaster!!!

jemmaedias

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good evening guys.

I've been on my MiniMed 640G for a month now and I was getting so confident with set changes. Until today...

Just had a very frustrating change and I'm not sure what happened! Hope someone can help explain these problems.

First of all, I had to use three reservoirs. Each one let massive bubbles in when I tried to take it off the blue needle thing and I had to pull it off with the vile upwards, which still meant there were loads of tiny bubbles. What causes this? Is there anyway to stop it?

Put the Quick Set in but it hurt a bit. After an hour I bolused and I just couldn't take the pain. I changed the tubing and cannula but: 1) the needle from the new set was crooked when I pulled it out of my stomach, although I didn't feel anything - is this a problem? 2) when I pulled out the old one there was sooo much blood???

Lastly, I pulled the attachment but out and I'm not sure whether to put it back with the needle facing up or down. I remember asking my nurse and she said it only goes in one way. But this one definitely does both ways. Does it even matter???

Sorry for rambling. But any answers will help sooo much. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: becca59

ce81ar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jemmaedias,
I use Mios rather than quick sets, so can't help with the needle orientation, but the issues with your vial sound like the pressure wasn't equalised. I always fill the vial with air and inject it into the insulin bottle before drawing any insulin out, to help equalise the pressure.
If the needle is crooked, it's likely not to work as well and I would recommend putting an entirely new site in, just to be sure it works.
The blood from your old site can sometimes happen. Mostly it's a small amount but on one occasion I had one that gushed everywhere and left a trail across the bathroom as I dived for the tissues.
Hopes this helps!

Reactions: azure

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@jemmaedias gosh, ouch! I can't offer any advice as my pump has prefilled cartridges rather than a reservoir, and different sets, but I've had cannula issues from time to time so can definitely sympathise!

I've had a couple of very very gory sites! Both have reminded me of 'that' scene in 'There's Something About Mary', with that fabulous line 'WE'VE GOT A BLEEDER!'. Best romcom of the nineties, in my opinion!

Hope it all settles soon.
:)

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We moved to sure t giving sets which are SO simple that my 10y old can do her own. Yes had that resevoir issue when the blue thing wasnt in properly - just got all the air to the top and pushed it throught when i filled the line. There was a bit less in the cartridge but it was fine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If the part that stays in you is kinked in any way, the insulin will not be able to get to you. When, and if it comes out, it could be too much and drop your sugars. I use the Silouette (sp?) Because I have a lot of scar tissue in my abdomen and I need to make sure the needle goes deep enough . That may be an option for you. I hope that helped.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Yes the reservoirs are not great. Best tips are draw some air back, push into empty bit of the vial (not the liquid), swiftly turn upside down then very slowly draw down the amount you want. If you fill up nearly the whole vial you're better switching to the 3ml over the 1.8ml. Then turn the end bit very carefully clockwise (I think). One way seals it the other lets in bubbles. Before doing this make sure you've tapped out any little bubbles.

Frankly this is so frustrating sometimes that I've got in the habit of pre-filling the reservoir so I only have to do the sets in the morning.

A set that hurts is a bad set, remove. With the exception of a silhouette which kills when it goes in but then settles down after a bit. A hurting set is often a sign of a kinked canula or hitting the wrong place which means poor absorption.

Crooked needles could mean it's gone in crooked or come out crooked. Hard to tell. I really didn't get on with quicksets and have tried all medtronic ones now except the mio 30 (which wasn't made when I started 2 years ago). Sometimes you just get a bad set and need to try again. Report it to medtronic for their quality control (they'll replace it).

I'm not sure what you mean about putting the needle back in. You're not meant to reinsert with the same needle as the mechanism will be used. If the set looks wrong then it is wrong and you need to report it to medtronic.

Hope that helps. It really does get easier with practice. I was ready to give up after the first 2 weeks of quicksets but got over this (mostly....).

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
and I'm afraid bleeders do happen too if you hit a capillary. Keep lots of tissues to hand.

Hopefully you've got all your bad set changes out of the way for a month with one truly bad one!;)