Hot Weather

pplprincess5480

We have had another day with lots of Hypos and I think it must be down to the hot weather and the fact that Lottie was very active today at Pre-School. I was wondering if any of you also experience this with your children and how you cope with it. I don't want to spend the whole summer as stressed as I have been today. Do I need to move to Iceland?

leggott

Hi. Yes, we have noticed this with our son (age 5). Not sure if it's just down to the fact that they run around alot more as my son is always very active at school whatever the weather. We also find that it seems to make his insulin work much quicker, so ideally he should be having his injection after he has eaten rather than before but at school we've kept the injection to before, just incase they forget to do it after. We've found that by giving him some juice/smoothie to drink first before eating his sandwiches seems to resolve the problem as he gets some fast acting sugar in him before he starts eating. You'll probably need to note everything down for a few days and this may help you to stop the low's. Leggott

pplprincess5480

Thanks Leggott,

Because Lottie was only diagnosed recently I am writing everything down at the moment anyway, including what she eats and how active she has been. The heat definately seems to be the thing that tips the balance. I may try reducing her insulin on days when I know she will be active and it's going to be hot. I speak to her nurse tomorrow so I'll check it with her too.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
You might just be dealing with Lottie still producing some of her own insulin (honeymooning).

I can say that Khaleb was on a lot less insulin in Summer. It is Winter here now and Khaleb has been sick for months so he's actually on quite large amounts of insulin at the moment to keep fairly average control. It is driving me bonkers!! He's on 17.5-18 units insulin a day for his 13.5kg and only just staying in single figure bsl's. In Jan/Feb this year he was only having 13-13.5 units a day.

I do wonder if his insulin levels would stay the same over Winter if he didn't pick up all the colds and flus. I've never had the chance to test this as every Winter it is just a constant battle. When we come back into Summer I'm sure I'll be thinking it is the warm weather and activity that drops his insulin level but he'll probably just be well. Can't wait!!

After Khaleb's third course of antibiotics he is still coughing so we'll most likely be back to the doctor this week.

Enjoy your Summer - even if it is only short.

marynf

We were living in Australia for a couple of months earlier this year and found that while Sarah needed the same amount of insulin in the hot weather it was absorbed quicker and lasted less time. We couldn't have a meal out and then walk along the beach to get an ice cream - the ice cream had to be immediately after the meal in order for the insulin still to cover it. Until we worked that out we had some really high numbers. That was when the temperature was in the mid 30s. That was only a couple of months after diagnosis so she was in full honeymoon and probably smoothed over the highs and lows. Now we are finding she is having more lows in the heat - all 21 degrees of it! - here. Breakfasts have had to become less slow release as she has been going low by morning break, so school gives her a biscuit, and then she is high by lunchtime when her ultra healthy ultra wholegrain breakfast has kicked in but the insulin has been and gone. She couldn't believe her luck this morning when I asked her to eat a small bowl of 'just' cheerios to supplement her 'normal' cereal!

Frubes are our current 'boost' of choice - bit of sugar, bit of fat, and can be frozen and eaten like an ice pop. 6g carb each. Seeing Sarah 'squeeze their guts out' as the advert says, when she is actually fast asleep but needs to have a top up to get to 8.0 before we go to bed actually makes me smile in the face of diabetes.

annettekp

Hi

When we had a recent bout of warmer weather Erland had a lot more hypos that came on us as a surprise!

What I found was that if he was outside playing if I gave him 2 jellybabies between snack and mealtime that kept his levels up.

Annette

Tracy37

My daughter is 12 and was diagnosed in November so I think we are still honeymooning as they say we are going to Tunisia next week and I am really nervous we are travelling in the night and I dont no if she should give her some extra insulin and something to eat about midnight any advise will be great.

pplprincess5480

I'm not the best person to advise you as we've only been doing this for 3 months. However, I would be reluctant to introduce extra insulin until you've seen what effect the heat has on your daughter because you could end up making her hypo if the heat dropsher blood sugars. Could you talk to your diabetes nurse to get some specific travel advice as I know there are lots of things to rake into account.

Hope this helps a bit.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Tracy,
to be honest regards to travelling, i wouldn't give her any extra insulin unless she needs a correction dose. We find when travelling with Andrew (11ys, T1, 4yrs) depending on the time of day he'll either graze on low carb snacks, sleep or be that excited that his bs fall slightly. I would just try and stay as close to her regular routine as possible. Hope this helps a little,
Suzi x