Supermarket carb values

LauraR88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Or should I say lack of.
Does anyone else find it frustrating if you buy something from the bakery In a supermarket like Asda And there is no nutritional information not only on the packaging but not even on their website?

I have tried googling it, for example Asda's pancakes. The only thing that I found was my fitness pal, however that had different information depending on what link you clicked!

How do you get around this?

Reactions: Sibyl
D

Deleted Account

Or should I say lack of.
Does anyone else find it frustrating if you buy something from the bakery In a supermarket like Asda And there is no nutritional information not only on the packaging but not even on their website?

I have tried googling it, for example Asda's pancakes. The only thing that I found was my fitness pal, however that had different information depending on what link you clicked!

There are a few ways around this:
- find something similar (e.g, might not have Asda pancakes but what about Sainsbury pancakes instead?)
- go back to basics and work it out from the ingredients and a recipe.
- create your own database of things you eat. This doesn't have to be anything fancy - a note on your phone is as good as a complex database
- make it from scratch and work it out from there. This is more work than buying it off the shelf but gives you a chance to adapt the recipe such as reducing the sugar and replacing some flour with something like ground almonds. I also have a theory that you can eat a bit more because you are burning more calories kneading than driving to a supermarket.
- over time you will start to be able to guestimate based on previous experience: a bakery sausage roll is about 50% bigger than sainsbury's (for example) so add 50% to the carbs
- don't stress. You get it wrong occassionally? So treat the mistake later.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Or should I say lack of.

Yes, it is annoying. I try to look for a similar packaged product. In fact, I often just choose a packaged product over a fresh baked one because the carb info is there.

If I do get something unlabelled, I err on the side of caution with the insulin, then test lots after to see if I need a correction. I then amend my carb guess depending on my test results.

Reactions: Sibyl and LauraR88

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Or should I say lack of.

You could write and ask them? Tell them how it inconveniences you and how important it is for your health. They cant fix it if they don't know and you might start a revolution :) xx

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
ps..meant to say, yes, its infuriating. Also those packets of biccies with carbs per 100g, and I forgot to count the number in the pack before I ate some...grrr x

Reactions: LauraR88

LauraR88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There are a few ways around this:
- find something similar (e.g, might not have Asda pancakes but what about Sainsbury pancakes instead?)
- go back to basics and work it out from the ingredients and a recipe.
- create your own database of things you eat. This doesn't have to be anything fancy - a note on your phone is as good as a complex database
- make it from scratch and work it out from there. This is more work than buying it off the shelf but gives you a chance to adapt the recipe such as reducing the sugar and replacing some flour with something like ground almonds. I also have a theory that you can eat a bit more because you are burning more calories kneading than driving to a supermarket.
- over time you will start to be able to guestimate based on previous experience: a bakery sausage roll is about 50% bigger than sainsbury's (for example) so add 50% to the carbs
- don't stress. You get it wrong occassionally? So treat the mistake later.

Unfortunately I work for one of our emergency services, meaning I work all sort of shifts in turning meaning the majority of the time it's not possible to make my own and work it out from the ingredients. It's normally a case of grabbing something easy.

I have already put together a note book of foods for reference to make things easier. But there's still a lot of things that don't have the right nutrition info meaning it makes it hard.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
the only option is to test, educated guess the carbs, dose on that, and test 2hrs and note all this on your phone or what ever little black book(!), then refer to it next time and adjust as required. trial and error......until you hit the sweet spot (pun intended)

Reactions: Dodo and LauraR88

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello LauraR88!
Have you tried "Carbs & Cals"?
It comes in a book but, there is also an app which you can download. The app includes photos of portion sizes and carb/cals/protein/fat and fibre content. From my experience it is fairly accurate.

Regards
Josephine

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would use my fitness pal app and /or calories and cals book for pastries etc....

if you can get it home and weigh it you can make an accurate calculation.....

these bits of knowledge do come in time though....

D

Deleted Account

Unfortunately I work for one of our emergency services, meaning I work all sort of shifts in turning meaning the majority of the time it's not possible to make my own and work it out from the ingredients. It's normally a case of grabbing something easy.

I have already put together a note book of foods for reference to make things easier. But there's still a lot of things that don't have the right nutrition info meaning it makes it hard.
Making your own could be something as simple as picking up a packet of bread rolls (with the carb count on them) and a packet of ham (no carbs). It doesn't have to be making the bread from scratch.

daffadam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's truly frustrating and I find going food shopping a real chore having recently been diagnosed. I feel like I'm constantly doing maths, especially when they only label carb amounts per 100g.

But I would definitely recommend getting the 'Carb and Cals' app. It seems to have a wide selection of bakery which you can compare to.