PCOS and type 2

Sue81

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Gents this thread is not for you so if you stumbled in here by mistake back away now.

I have PCOS and type 2. As I have zero interest in having children my doctors have had zero interest in treating the PCOS beyond commenting that the metformin I'm on should help.

I seem to have an inverse relationship between the two problems. When my blood sugar levels are higher than they should be my periods rarely bother me in fact they can disappear for months on end but when my diabetes is in control my period is a nightmare most months.

I don't want to go TMI but this month has been so bad I haven't wanted to leave the house because it was so heavy and painful. I did bring it up with the doctor again a couple of months ago and they gave me some tablets that are supposed to make them lighter but they haven't had much effect.

I just wondered if anyone had the same problem and if they'd managed to find a solution.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a mirena IUS
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/contraception-guide/pages/ius-intrauterine-system.aspx

People report mixed experiences from it, but i have found it excellent.
My 3+ week long heavy pcos periods have dropped to 7 days of light spotting.
PMS is now negligible.
I can't recommend it enough.

If you are interested, i would do a fair bit of reading about it, and go to somewhere like a family planning clinic, where they fit them regularly. The more practiced the doc is, the less stressful the fitting. I have had 3 fittings (the mirena lasts 5 years) and the experience has varied significantly each time.

Reactions: Sue81

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Sue81 . I should have took your advice and backed away, but I didn't.
Ashamed I had to google pcos.
Can't offer any advice but hope you find a solution to the problem you are having to endure.

DevonVee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I have PCOS and now am type 2. My periods got so bad I was constantly anaemic. I had a Mirena fitted and it made a huge difference. Menopause has stopped all that now but it helped me survive while they were so heavy. Worth a try I would suggest.

Reactions: Sue81

Sue81

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank I'll have a look into the Mirena. Not something I've ever considered as the contraceptive element isn't relevant

Reactions: Ultramum