Painkillers

DEB260173

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, ingratitude, smugness, prejudice, nose-picking, spitting, celery, olives, Rave music, bigots, Nigel Farage, most social media.
Dear All,
I have type 2 diabetes and am on Metformin. I'm also on blood pressure medication and I'm finding it really difficult to get hold of a decent painkiller that I'm actually allowed to take. Anyone got any suggestions other than paracetamol (that's always my first port of call, but sometimes (today!) it's just not doing the job!). I'm getting tired of being given the third degree everytime I go into a pharmacy!!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
The reason that you are given the 3rd degree is because you are taking anti-Diabetic meds, BP Meds and maybe other stuff. There are many painkillers which are unsuitable for you because of possible interactions or that they contain sugars etc. So, they are just being careful they don't add to your problems by giving you something which will not help your other conditions beside the Diabetes. That is what a good Pharmacist should always do, ask questions.

If OTC painkillers are not doing you any good just see your GP and get something stronger. As you are on oral meds you don't have to pay for your prescriptions so that is the best and cheapest way. I get my painkillers prescribed by the GP and have stepped up strengths for various bouts of pain relief.

I wouldn't recommend any painkillers other than ones that are prescribed for YOU. Your GP knows all your medications and medical history, we don't. See your GP and discuss.

Ken

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I suppose you should really discuss this with your GP as he/she will know what will suit you best without interfering with your other meds.

I (for my sins) suffer with arthritis with myofascial and referred pain linked to injuries sustained during a '98 tornado. I am prescribed dihydrocodeine for day to day coping and buprenorphine for really bad days. . . none of which are poor mixers with my other day to day meds. Both of these were prescribed for me at my main hospital's pain clinic and are now on my GP's list for me and were added to my repeat list I submit when I need new supplies.

Where a pharmacist can advise generally, only your GP will know what is best for you as an individual, and if its really troublesome they can refer you to your nearest pain clinic.

DEB260173

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, ingratitude, smugness, prejudice, nose-picking, spitting, celery, olives, Rave music, bigots, Nigel Farage, most social media.
I do understand why they have to check these things - I used to do the job myself, so I know what it's like! But I'm also a grown-up and not an idiot and will take responsibility for my own actions and health! Most importantly, however, I am a woman suffering from chronic and hideous "women's pain" and I can't see the doctor right now, which is when I need the relief!! The girl is lucky I didn't rip her head off - hormones and pain are not a happy combination :twisted:
I will definitely take your advice though and make an appointment as this isn't a problem that's going to go away for a good while yet so I might as well get some proper advice from "them that knows!"
I'm also going to have to get used to the third degree I guess, but it is frustrating when you're used to being able to take whatever you like.

Thanks for the advice folks
:D

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
DEB260173 said:
I do understand why they have to check these things - I used to do the job myself, so I know what it's like! But I'm also a grown-up and not an idiot and will take responsibility for my own actions and health! Most importantly, however, I am a woman suffering from chronic and hideous "women's pain" and I can't see the doctor right now, which is when I need the relief!! The girl is lucky I didn't rip her head off - hormones and pain are not a happy combination :twisted:
I will definitely take your advice though and make an appointment as this isn't a problem that's going to go away for a good while yet so I might as well get some proper advice from "them that knows!"
I'm also going to have to get used to the third degree I guess, but it is frustrating when you're used to being able to take whatever you like.

Thanks for the advice folks
:D

As a husband and father of four daughtes, I do understand what you mean.
How about once you have made it through this month, you make an appointment to see a woman GP within your local practice and be very assertive that you need (not want) something strong that will mix with your other meds or a referal to someone who CAN help you.
One of my daughters (now 36) sufferes with PCOS (a long time to get diagnosed) and from seeing the way she suffers, you have my sincere sympathy.

DEB260173

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No, thank you - to be honest, I didn't really expect a definitive answer - you're not doctors after all!
I think I just needed to get it off my chest! Am starting to feel a bit better now so will make an appointment with my GP before it comes back again next month!!
:)

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Hi,

try ixprim, its paracetamol with a little bit of tram,adol through it. I am type I and it has no influence of the BG.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
maria030660 said:
Hi,

try ixprim, its paracetamol with a little bit of tram,adol through it. I am type I and it has no influence of the BG.

It isn't just Bg levels we are discussing here there are many interactions which can possibly be a problem for the OP.

Tramadol has this warning:
Seizures (convulsions) have occurred in some people taking Tramadol. You may be more likely to have a seizure while taking tramadol if you have a history of seizures or head injury, a metabolic disorder, or if you are taking certain medicines such as antidepressants, muscle relaxers, or medicine for nausea and vomiting.

Metabolic Disorder......DIabetes ! Therefore it is imperative that any medication is discussed with a GP or HCP. In the UK it is a prescription only drug.

However:
The equivalent drug to Ixprim in the UK is actually called Tramacet and doesn't have the same warning as the quantity of Tramadol is less in the tablet. In any case again this is a prescription only drug and can only be prescribed by a GP. Therefore it would have to be discussed to see if it is suitable for the intended use. It too has a long list of contra-indications which would need to be considered looking at a Patient's medical history.

Ken.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Not sure quite what is causing the pain but an old fashioned remedy which is not medication was Indian Tonic Water which contains Quinine which relaxes muscle and also breaks up clots etc. There are some carbs in Tonic Water however.

jwilki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If it is of any help I suffer from Diabetic Amyotrophy and this is very painful and I take 200mg (4 50mg tabs) of "Mabron" daily to control, each tablet contains 50mg of Tramadol. This here in Cyprus is also a controlled drug and has to be prescribed. I am very closely monitored by my doctor, a requirement of prescribing, with monthly blood tests and examination because of the possible side effects of this drug. I can say this works to an extent for me giving fairly good pain relief so far, and as yet I have had no side effects at all :D