My eyes

Rick1318

I was diagnosed 5 weeks ago, type 2 BS 17 and A1c 13. Vision was always consistently blurry during the day. After starting LCHF and exercise my bs dropped to 9 a week later and my vision became pretty much 20/20 throughout the day. The weird part is from 3 weeks ago to now, my vision got worse again...it's better than before Dx for sure...I can see short distance so much better but longer distance is still blurry. My bs levels during the period has been between 6-9 for the most part. I'm going to get my eyes checked for retinopathy but just wanted some input from you guys. Thanks

sheepie123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is completely normal and not retinopathy. All diabetics when they shock their body into lower sugar they get problems with their eyes. This is why opticians say to leave it 3 months as it needs to stablise. Your eyes were inflamed and hence focused differently. I got the exact same thing and it comes and goes still but getting much better.

Hayden_McCall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just had the same happen. I've worn glasses for being nearsighted for 25 years. Started my LCHF diet in conjunction to taking Losartin to real in some hypertension, and thought I'd had a miracle cure. It was amazing. A few weeks later, it reverted. Was sweet while it lasted.

Dark Horse

In newly-diagnosed diabetics, blurred vision is usually due to a rapid improvement in blood glucose levels affecting the lens of the eye and this is temporary.

In the UK, diabetic patients are screened for diabetic retinopathy within 3 months of diagnosis and then usually annually after that. They would not normally go to the eye hospital unless referred by the screening service. Similarly people would normally have annual or biennial examinations for glaucoma,AMD and cataract at their optician/optometrist and would not normally go to the eye hospital unless referred by their optician via their GP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My retina check was almost exactly 6 months after diagnosis, so not all areas stick to those rules.
I realised just how poor my sight was at that examination, so went to my ordinary optician and now require three pairs of glasses, driving, reading and using computer.

Dark Horse

My retina check was almost exactly 6 months after diagnosis, so not all areas stick to those rules.
I realised just how poor my sight was at that examination, so went to my ordinary optician and now require three pairs of glasses, driving, reading and using computer.
The 3-month standard applies to all areas of the UK. Unfortunately, sometimes there is a problem but I would advise anyone who has not had a screening for retinopathy within 3 months of diagnosis to contact their GP to ask why not.

Dark Horse

The 3-month standard applies to all areas of the UK. Unfortunately, sometimes there is a problem but I would advise anyone who has not had a screening for retinopathy within 3 months of diagnosis to contact their GP to ask why not.