Type 2 Muesli for breakfast

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I love muesli and add nuts to it like a couple of Brazil nuts and a few walnuts but I may have to give it up as it raises my BS levels. My last bought muesli was from Holland & Barrett and was a low sugar high fibre sort. Does anyone else find it raises their BS levels?

Mark_1

I've not been able to find any that aren't 70%+ carbs so haven't thought it to be an option. What % carbs is the one you have?
Saying that I think the important thing is what it does specifically to your BS levels not what it does to others. Compared to something like a few eggs for breakfast how much do they rise?

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes, carbs at breakfast will raise my blood glucose more than the same food later in the day. That's why I switched to bacon and eggs for breakfast a long time ago.

I don't really want to eat bacon a lot cos that's bad for you, I tend to have bacon once a month. What else could be replaced with bacon? Am quite happy to have an egg every morning for breakfast but I'd want something with it.

Jo123

I'm only pre diabetic but even no added sugar muesli sent my bg soaring, only tried it once.

One egg on a slice of livlife bread is very nice.
Or eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes are good.
I sometimes have a mug of unsweetened soya milk and two peices of 90%chocolate, will low carb.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I don't really want to eat bacon a lot cos that's bad for you, I tend to have bacon once a month. What else could be replaced with bacon? Am quite happy to have an egg every morning for breakfast but I'd want something with it.
No, bacon isn't bad for you. I have 3 or 4 rashers with 3 or 4 eggs every morning for breakfast. It's much healthier than muesli or any other cereal.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No, bacon isn't bad for you. I have 3 or 4 rashers with 3 or 4 eggs every morning for breakfast. It's much healthier than muesli or any other cereal.
I agree. Though I don't eat bacon often I'd sure choose it over grains any time of day. I don't eat it because I don't think of it. I eat loads of avocado and eggs, beef, lamb, poultry, fish.

why not make a veggie omelet to have something else with your egg? Or make a crustless quiche? Or some chicken or beef left overs ? Or a slice of cheese? Kefir? Yogurt? Roasted veg? Nuts? Endless options.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Muesli - my BG level is probably rising jus thinking about it, I just can't cope with grain and dried fruits have such highly concentrated sugar content.
If it raises your BG reading then it is best avoided - but what is so bad about bacon?
I do boil bacon for a minute or so to reduce the salt content and remove soluble preserving substances, then sieve it out and put it back into the frying pan to crisp up, something all my family tend to do, and we are a rather long lived and healthy lot.
If you can get the Lidl protein rolls then eggs and toast are a possibility - I like kippers, but have been known to have a chop with cauliflower or mushrooms or courgette for breakfast.

Reactions: carina62

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Muesli - my BG level is probably rising jus thinking about it, I just can't cope with grain and dried fruits have such highly concentrated sugar content.
If it raises your BG reading then it is best avoided - but what is so bad about bacon?
I do boil bacon for a minute or so to reduce the salt content and remove soluble preserving substances, then sieve it out and put it back into the frying pan to crisp up, something all my family tend to do, and we are a rather long lived and healthy lot.
If you can get the Lidl protein rolls then eggs and toast are a possibility - I like kippers, but have been known to have a chop with cauliflower or mushrooms or courgette for breakfast.

With bacon it's one of the processed foods linked to cancer and all the nitrates cancer causing preservatives that puts me off eating it on a regular basis, I only tend to have bacon say once a month. If there is bacon out there that I can buy which doesn't have all the nitrates in them then I would appreciate any suggestions. Also, just thought, maybe the Quorn bacon slices could be an alternative for me.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love muesli and add nuts to it like a couple of Brazil nuts and a few walnuts but I may have to give it up as it raises my BS levels. My last bought muesli was from Holland & Barrett and was a low sugar high fibre sort. Does anyone else find it raises their BS levels?

all the carbs in food raises blood glucose if one eat enough of them.. look at the decalration of nutrients if it is higher than 10% of the macro-nutrients it will very surely become a problem and then you plus the carbs in the yoghurt or milk on tp of that too..

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quorn is at least as processed as bacon.

As for finding good quality bacon, that is easy too. Just look at the ingredients lists on the back of the packet and select the unsmoked ones that have the least number of nasties listed.

There are some very good bacons around, and it is possible to make your own. I have done so, and was very pleased with the results.

That whole cancer scare 'with processed red meats causing cancer' was a load of journalistic scaremongering. If you go back to the original report (which none of the journalists seem to have done' ) the red meat link was weak, whereas the processed meat link was stronger, so that included stuff like chicken. Personally, I think the problem is people buying cheap over processed Frankenfoods.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you thought of skipping breakfast completely to see how you go on? It gives your pancreas and digestive system a long rest from finishing your evening meal until the following lunch time. I stopped eating anything in the morning some time ago, but I do have a coffee with double cream as soon as I get up and maybe a cup of tea with a dash of milk mid morning. What I have found is my pre-lunch levels have decreased significantly, and the cream fills me up so I am not hungry at all. I usually start my last meal of the day around 7pm and start lunch about 1-15pm. That gives me a fast of over 18 hours every day, and I just eat in the remaining 6 hours. This is known as an 18/6 fast. It works for me. It may not work for you, but is always worth a try.

Reactions: carina62

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With bacon it's one of the processed foods linked to cancer and all the nitrates cancer causing preservatives that puts me off eating it on a regular basis, I only tend to have bacon say once a month. If there is bacon out there that I can buy which doesn't have all the nitrates in them then I would appreciate any suggestions. Also, just thought, maybe the Quorn bacon slices could be an alternative for me.
Salt and nitrates are very soluble, even in cold water, but much more so in hot. Putting the bacon rashers into water one at a time, bring it to a simmer and leaving it for a minute will remove a lot of the chemicals. Sieve it out and tip it back into the frying pan and it should be innocuous. Salt and nitre used to be the only way to keep meat and fish fit to eat, so it if was so bad for us, we'd not be here - but it was soaked or simmered before cooking.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

There are a few lower carb granola recipes online, I make the Rose Elliot one modified a bit. It is mostly nut based with seeds. I have it with almond milk with no sweetener at all. I absolutely love it and it doesn't bother my blood sugar much.

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Pastry products raise my bg for quite sometime.

I eat my own version of breakfast cereal, i mix Oats, sultannas and walnuts and sprinkle some sweetener on top, lovely. This is a 90 gram carb meal for me: oats 100grams wieght, sultannas 29 grams and walnuts i have about 30 grams and being low glycemic i do nit account for these and of course the milk.

I eat a lot of carbs by choice i love them but do match my insulin for it.

Regards

Martin

Damtov8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Meusli is not good - far too high carb.
Visit Type 2 Diabetes Rebels facebook page and see their food list.

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have you thought of skipping breakfast completely to see how you go on? It gives your pancreas and digestive system a long rest from finishing your evening meal until the following lunch time. I stopped eating anything in the morning some time ago, but I do have a coffee with double cream as soon as I get up and maybe a cup of tea with a dash of milk mid morning. What I have found is my pre-lunch levels have decreased significantly, and the cream fills me up so I am not hungry at all. I usually start my last meal of the day around 7pm and start lunch about 1-15pm. That gives me a fast of over 18 hours every day, and I just eat in the remaining 6 hours. This is known as an 18/6 fast. It works for me. It may not work for you, but is always worth a try.

Funnily enough I have thought about having 2 breakfast free days a week, I started today and will try and make it Tuesday and Thursdays and see how it goes.

Reactions: Bluetit1802