Hypos and lucozade

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My dad is T2 on insulin. He always uses lucozade to treat hypos. Was at hospital today and seen posters stating that lucozade have reduced their carb content and are not as good now for treating hypos. He had been wondering why he was having to take more than normal recently in order to treat the hypo. Thought I should post to make others aware as not everyone gets checked at the hospital and might not know of the changes.
Also, what do others use to treat hypos?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My dad is T2 on insulin. He always uses lucozade to treat hypos. Was at hospital today and seen posters stating that lucozade have reduced their carb content and are not as good now for treating hypos. He had been wondering why he was having to take more than normal recently in order to treat the hypo. Thought I should post to make others aware as not everyone gets checked at the hospital and might not know of the changes.

Hi there.

In recent weeks and months there have been a number of threads raised to discuss exactly what you've found. If you have a look at the search facility, you'll find some responses to keep you occupied.

I hope your Dad finds something he gets along with.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a thing called a glucose pack which is available online on this website, pharamacys and also eBay for around £12. It contains everything you need if you glucose levels plummet. Inside you get 2 bottles of high glucose similar to what lucazade use to be like also some tasty glucose tablets which you just suck on to higher your levels. I've had about 5-6 hypos and used this pack and have had my levels raise within a few mins so is well worth the money it costs. Always worth keeping one of these packs to hand.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

There's a current thread in the Type 1 section where Type 1s have responded so you could also look at that for ideas : )

I still have old stock of Lucozade but Pepsi or Coke (the branded ones not copies) work well.

If he doesn't mind not having liquid, then Dextro Energy tablets are very good and readily available as well as easy to carry round.