Mynameiskez

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
finger pricking and maths at every meal
Hey everyone.

I was diagnosed LADA about 2 months ago and now have insulin treatment.

I've put on a lot of weight since then and can't loose it as quickly as I'm used to (I had ketosis for quite a while but only upto 3mmol).

Recently I can see that my ancles are becoming really puffy. I cycle a lot so my legs are usually fat free. My feet are swollen too. Like an old ladies.

I spoke to my nurse about my weight yesterday and she said not to worry for a bit until we are sure we have my treatment and monitoring sorted. But I didn't bring up my ancles. My feet never looked like this and I've been this weight before.

Has anyone else had this and what did you do?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well if it is very much it is probably best to talk to your GP about it... and have your heart excamined, water retension can come from a number of reasons, also allergy , or mal-nutrition , if the potassium ><sodium is out of balance and in that case it is very important to do excactly what doctor says, or if ones heart has become weak it can also lead to water retension in ones legs

if all this is ruled out then there is a folk-remedy that one can try : 1/2 a liter redwine mixed with 150 gram grated horseradish, leave it in fridge in a glass jar with lid on for 5 days, then eat two spoonfuls every morning ... no more than that .. and it helps many with retension, dont know what the mix creates but it helps many... but this is only to try after having a doctor excamine you and discuss the problem with him/her

Last edited:
Reactions: Mynameiskez

Mynameiskez

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
finger pricking and maths at every meal
well if it is very much it is probably best to talk to your GP about it... and have your heart excamined, water retension can come from a number of reasons, also allergy , or mal-nutrition , if the potassium ><sodium is out of balance and in that case it is very important to do excactly what doctor says, or if ones heart has become weak it can also lead to water retension in ones legs

if all this is ruled out then there is a folk-remedy that one can try : 1/2 a liter redwine mixed with 150 gram grated horseradish, leave it in fridge in a glass jar with lid on, then eat two spoonfuls every morning ... no more than that .. and it helps many with retension, dont know what the mix creates but it helps many... but this is only to try after having a doctor excamine you and discuss the problem with him/her

Thank you. I'm not much of a red wine fan, mixed with horseradish it sounds positively foul.

It's. Really making me freak out a bit. My nan had big swollen legs. I don't want that.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I'm not much of a red wine fan, mixed with horseradish it sounds positively foul.

It's. Really making me freak out a bit. My nan had big swollen legs. I don't want that.

what you can do till you are excamined is to go for some longer walks it is good for the whole circulation and for the heart and walking is not that hard on the heart either and you get fit in a civilized and calm way too .. so put on your walking shoes... biking is aso a very fine way ...

http://www.webmd.com/diet/why-am-i-retaining-water#1

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
have you changed eating style very much lately, can it be that you eat more sodium/salt now than you used to do ? or have you stopped eating fruit or are you eating more fruit and less salt ...?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Apart from eating too many carbs, insulin should not cause weight or water gain so I would certainly ask the GP for advice.

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I get terrible swollen ankles/feet sometimes. Could be sodium/potassium related, could be vascular... could be meds if you take anything else, all sorts of things.

it's worth checking out. I was just in ICU for kidney/protein/potassium problems among other things (not diabetes related)... after I survived and was fixed up, I lost approx 12kg of water/swelling in 5 days.

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do your hands swell too, or just feet?

Does it happen at a particular time (end of the day? when you wake?) or is it constant?

How have your sugars been?

FWIW, my hands & feet both swell when my sugars are high, especially overnight (noticeable in the morning; I have to remove my ring before bed).

Reactions: Freema