What is after max.Gluclazide?

Ellit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
After having had hbaic readings between 6.7 and 7.6 for the last 5 years i have suddenly shot up to 10 after testing anything between 12 and 22 for about 4 weeks.This was on 80m gliclazide twice a day.

After asking my gp what i should do i was asked to make an appointment with the DNurse. Soonest one was 3 weeks time.!

As i was feeling pretty cr*p by then i saw another gp who told me to double up my gliclazide and see how that went and " get back to us in a few weeks".

So although my readings have come down to between 9 and 18 i don't want to wait weeks as i'm worried now as i'm 7 weeks in to what are high readings for me.
Anyone any suggestions as to what i should do now and am i right to be concerned?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After having had hbaic readings between 6.7 and 7.6 for the last 5 years i have suddenly shot up to 10 after testing anything between 12 and 22 for about 4 weeks.This was on 80m gliclazide twice a day.

After asking my gp what i should do i was asked to make an appointment with the DNurse. Soonest one was 3 weeks time.!

As i was feeling pretty cr*p by then i saw another gp who told me to double up my gliclazide and see how that went and " get back to us in a few weeks".

So although my readings have come down to between 9 and 18 i don't want to wait weeks as i'm worried now as i'm 7 weeks in to what are high readings for me.
Anyone any suggestions as to what i should do now and am i right to be concerned?

Well, your numbers are certainly somewhat higher than ideal at the moment. If it were me, I'd be looking for clues and thinking of ways I could try to make a difference.

Can you think of anything that changed to make your numbers go up? Have you changed your diet at all, become much less active or even have a virus or something?

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Is gliclazide your only med? They could add metformin - unless you've tried that in the past and can't tolerate it.

The other question is what is your diet like - are you low-carbing? If not, that should bring your BG down pretty effectively.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. First, make sure you are having a low-carb diet. The max dose for Gliclazide is 320gm/day which I had a for quite a while. Note that Gliclazide works by stimulating the pancreas to produce more insulin and is not normally suitable for T2s with insulin resistance as often there will already be enough insulin in the body. If you are slim then Gliclazide may help as you may have a pancreas that is failing. Metformin is mainly of use for T2s with insulin resistance but it helps everyone just a little.

Ellit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't take the metformin....i'm lowcarbing around 150mg per day and i've just joined Activ lives weight loss group as i need to lose 2 stone....so thats being small and thin knocked on the head!
I?????

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
I have found that the combination of Gliclazide and Metformin works best, but that wont help you now.