Diabetic readings

IR52

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nurses
I am new to taking readings (and still do not understand why I need to)
First reading with nurse was 4.7
So agree it is a bit low
Next readings confirmed with nurse
5.3 - 8.9 - 11.1 - 7.2

Ok so I've been told not to let it go below 4 but what is too high?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @IR52 :)

Can I move this to the Type 1 section for you?

I suggest you give your DSN a call. If you've not been told why you need to test, then that sounds worrying. You need to be given the right information and if you're not then please do,push to get the support you need.

What insulins are you taking and when?

Reactions: dbr10

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Briefly, you need to keep your blood sugar in the normal range because if it goes too low then you could suffer from hypoglycaemia which can be potentially dangerous. If your blood sugar is too high, then that can cause both short term and long term effects and possibly cause damage to your body (diabetic complications).

As its likely that you've been recently diagnosed, I presume you've been given blood sugar targets by your nurse or doctor? Often those initial target sugars are higher so that you can bring your blood sugar down gradually.

Reactions: dbr10

IR52

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nurses
Thanks everyone
I have been diagnosed for a few years using diet:excersice then tablets (Gliclazide - just been increased from 40 mg to 80 mg)

I have seen the nurse twice this week
And she is the one who put me on the machine to check I don't go below 4

As you can see the readings are way above that
So I really don't understand- I checked I was using machine correctly

When my sugar went a little low - I was taking steroids for a shoulder injury plus a very bad eye condition This I had understand effects the reading

I see her again in a couple of weeks so will talk thru it again
But can someone tell me what reading is high?

Thanks everyone

Dan87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you Type 2 diabetic? Just checking as your profile says Type 1 but your treatment so far has been tablets etc.

The after meals target for Type 2 diabetics (testing your level around 2 hours after eating) is to not go above 8.5. You may want to give yourself a bit more leeway in the early stages and aim to keep it below 9 or 10 after meals. Before meals it should ideally be below 7.

IR52

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nurses
Are you Type 2 diabetic? Just checking as your profile says Type 1 but your treatment so far has been tablets etc.

The after meals target for Type 2 diabetics (testing your level around 2 hours after eating) is to not go above 8.5. You may want to give yourself a bit more leeway in the early stages and aim to keep it below 9 or 10 after meals. Before meals it should ideally be below 7.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@IR52

Can you confirm whether you are Type 1 or Type 2? Your profile says Type 1 but Gliclazide is a drug for Type 2's.

Gliclazide works by stimulating your pancreas to produce extra insulin. Depending on what you have been eating and drinking, the drug may stimulate the pancreas to produce more insulin than you need and when that happens you can go too low and experience a hypo. This is one reason why you need to test, and this is especially important before you drive (you must be over 5 to drive) and before you go to bed.

What is too high? You set your own personal targets with help from your nurse if necessary. Generally speaking it is unwise to go above 7.8 at any time. Have a look at the link I gave you in my first reply. We all follow different targets. My personal one is 4 to 7, although as I'm human I don't always manage this.

Edited to add that steroids cause raised blood sugars. They do not cause reduced blood sugars.

Reactions: azure