jobs and diabetes

spoons25

hey all im new on here been diabetic 2 and a half years i've recently started looking for jobs again after being really ill do you think being diabetic goes against u? or is it just the way things are at the mo i cant even get even seem to get an interview dunno if i should lie when they ask about health issues i really need work and money

redrevis

Hi spoons

When it comes to jobs, you are protected by the Disability Discrimination Act but this doesn't mean that we know 100% that discrimination based on Diabetes doesn't happen. I recently had an interview for a new job and the letter they sent out included a health questionnaire which needed to be filled in and returned to HR in a sealed envelope at the time of interview. So the people interviewing would not see this information and would not be a basis of whether they offered you the job. This is how it should be done. I'm not saying that every employer will do it this way though. On my application form all it asked was if i felt I am 'disabled which dramatically reduces my ability to do day to day activities'. So i answered this honestly and put NO.

Obviously due to diabetes there are some jobs which you will not be allowed to do, i.e. train driver, bus driver, taxi driver, airline pilot etc etc but that is for obvious reasons.

Have a read here for some more info.

Hope that was some help :)

mcmoby69

Dislikes
blinkered people
diabetes as a 'disability' sometimes can work to your advantage. some large companies are obliged to employ a certain percentage of 'disabled' people. this could work in your favour.

obviously any future employer would have to make 'reasonable adjustments' to allow for testing , snacks and hospital/doctor appointments etc. if they dont then they may be open to 'discrimination' laws.

i know a t1 solicitor who is very good at things like this. (not me i am a registered gas installer)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
spoons25 said:
hey all im new on here been diabetic 2 and a half years i've recently started looking for jobs again after being really ill do you think being diabetic goes against u? or is it just the way things are at the mo i cant even get even seem to get an interview dunno if i should lie when they ask about health issues i really need work and money

Previous answers all good.........don't EVER lie in a job application. Not a good idea. Apart from it being a Criminal Offence if you get the job and it comes out you lied you run the risk of losing it anyway. Sacked......no money etc.

Ken

badmedisin

If you can't get an interview, it's probably because there's currently far too much competition for every single job. Unless you're putting "I'm really ill!" in big red capital letters on your CV... Probably shouldn't do that :)

You don't have to put anything on your CV. Application forms will usually ask if you have a disability, and with diabetes it's kind of personal preference whether you say yes or not. Technically a disability is defined as any condition which affects or limits your day to day activities or the work you can do. So diabetes will be a disability for some people but not for others. Sometimes it's useful to tick yes - for example, jobs in the NHS. They have a policy where they will select candidates at random if they get too many applications. But applications from people with a disability are not subject to random selection, so your application would definitely get looked at.

Any employers that take their equal opps policies seriously will separate any identifying details from the relevant bit of the application forms, so the people doing the shortlisting shouldn't be able to see your name, age, ethnicity or disability status during the shortlisting process. Obviously some places are strict about this, such as local authorities and NHS, while some others may be a bit slack. You never know.

Obviously it's illegal for them not to employ you just because you have diabetes. But it's usually hard to prove that's the reason you didn't get the job. Personally I've never seen it as an issue, nobody has ever asked me at interview so I've never volunteered the information. However, once you do get the job, it's very important that your boss and co-workers know. Your employer has to let you go to your appointments, and people will need to know why you're injecting in the office and it helps if your colleagues know how to treat a hypo, just in case you ever need to be helped.

I need to look for a new job as my place is about to go bust. I think I'm going to mention it on any applications for NHS or council jobs, just so I can avoid being randomly selected out. But for small employers that probably don't have to fulfil a quota I don't think I'll bother to mention it until they actually give me a job.

Hope it all picks up for you soon - stay positive and all that! :)

spoons25

thx for all your replies most applications ask if you have a disabilty i really dont consider myself to have a disabilty so always put no i wouldnt class diabetes as a disabilty more of an inconvenience

Shiny

Hi Spoons...

Think you will find that when the new Equality at work act comes out in oct you will be able to fnd out...

go to the directgov.com site and upload the pdf. file of the new act ( on the disability section)..there is a list of the jobs that have now become available to diabetics...you may have to do some rooting but its there as I've read it but cant remember if your job was on it....but fingers crossed it is :)

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
I went for a job and was told point blank I had no chance.
Some employers just dont give a you know what for any law. :twisted: :twisted:

Dippy3103

I don't consider my diabetes a disabilty. If asked the question about health problems directly I would declare it but not otherwise.

spoons25

great news i have a job as lab technician and start on monday however i havnt told them about my diabetes there was no health form and they never asked at interview do you think it will make a difference when they find out?

PickledPepper

I'm happy for you spoon!

Do your job well, let them see that the condition doesn't really effect your ability to do your job in your honeymoon period. That way when it does eventually comes out, it will be a minor thing.

If they haven't asked - you're safe.