BYETTA

vivkaroo

Dislikes
Grumpy people, being bored, Bad weather. smoking
can someone tell me were i get a frio bag from vivkaroo x please

susiewoosie

Dislikes
being diabetic
Just a quick question. I'm on Byetta and 1 glicazide twice a day. How low do I let my sugfar level go before doing something about it. Its about 1 1/2 hours since I've eaten and my sugar level is 2.9 Should I wait to see if it will go up on its own or should I have some orance juice?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
2.9 is hypo. I don't think you should leave it any longer without having that orange juice!
I know nothing about Byetta though.

susiewoosie

Dislikes
being diabetic
orange juice it is then. Seem to be having quite a lot of lows at the moment for some reason. It was 3.9 when I got up this morning, its never been that low before

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
You could follow the orange juice with a longer acting carb too.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I'm not an expert by any means but try some wholemeal bread for example, or potatoes or pasta, something like that. I hope I'm not giving you bad advice :) Unfortunately the experts don't seem to be here now.

susiewoosie

Dislikes
being diabetic
found it, it says biscuit or sandwich. I will try a couple of biscuits hopefully that will help with the sickyness

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I hope you feel better soon. :)

susiewoosie

Dislikes
being diabetic
daisy1 said:
I'm not an expert by any means but try some wholemeal bread for example, or potatoes or pasta, something like that. I hope I'm not giving you bad advice :) Unfortunately the experts don't seem to be here now.

Thanks Daisy. I live on my own so it was nice to have someone to help me through this :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
susiewoosie said:
Just a quick question. I'm on Byetta and 1 glicazide twice a day. How low do I let my sugfar level go before doing something about it. Its about 1 1/2 hours since I've eaten and my sugar level is 2.9 Should I wait to see if it will go up on its own or should I have some orance juice?

Just seen this one Susie, sorry I wasn't around.......we have to eat sometimes...... :wink:

You have had great advice so far from Daisy. You were definitely hypo'ing.

When that happens the remedy is to take fast acting carbs such as Orange Juice, Lucozade, Glucotabs, Jellybabies or any sugary drinks and check your levels every 15 mins till they are back in a more normal range, above 4 mmol/l at least. Once at that stage then eat some small carby snack which will stabilise your levels.

Were you not instructed by your GP what to do in this event ? Byetta is a hypo inducing med and your am levels are way too low, you need to be higher in the morning, so the reason for that needs looking into. You should have had some symptoms before all of this happened, it is called hypo awareness and is just your body warning you that your Bg levels are too low.

Feeling or being sick is something that happens when you hypo, it will subside as your Bg levels rise after some food or drink. Just take it easy for now and relax. You will feel better. Make sure you keep checking the levels as you don't want to overdo the hypo treatment and go too high.

Ken

susiewoosie

Dislikes
being diabetic
Thanks Ken, I think my dn gave me a leaflet but I'm not sure. I had a couple of biscuits and my blood is now 5.1 so thats a relief. I will do a couple of more tests tho just to make sure.

I've asked my brother to bring me some glucose tablets so hopefully he will remember. I don't know why its started to happen. I've had a couple of 3.8 and the lowest was 3.4 this week but I've never gone as low as 2.9 I had some soup and some pizza for dinner, maybe I didn't have enough of it.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Susie.
Daisy is the star here...... :D

Can I ask what other meds you are on as in your profile it states this......3x2metformin, 2x2glicazide ?

susiewoosie

Dislikes
being diabetic
Sorry I should have updated it. I'm on 10 byetta, 1 glicazide twice a day and 2 metformin 3 times a day. Thats the diabetes meds I'm also on a boatload of other tablets. When my chemist deliver my meds they have a big carrier bag :roll:

Think I'm going to bed so don't worry if I don't reply to any posts lol

I will say tho that its only the last 2 days that have been very up and down. I have been very stressed and down so its possible that they may have caused the problem.

I blame the doctor that came to see me on Thursday. I suffer with depression, agoraphobia, panic attack and anxiety and I received a letter from the surgery for my diabetic review. I phoned the surgery to ask id a district nurse could come and take my blood. They said they would have to ok it with a doctor. The doctor decided to come and see me himself and it went downhill from there. First of all he told me that I had no quality of life, then he didn't stop talking. I couldn't say anything. I have also just started seeing a psychiatrist which I pointed out to the dr. He then decided that we would see how my new anti depressant went in the next month, I couldn't tell him that it was nothing to do with him because he then started on something else.
He told me that he would take my blood this time but it would be good for me to attend the surgery because it would make me leave the house. I just blurted out it wouldn't because I would just cancel. After he left this just kept going round and round in myt head getting me panicking more each time. I ended up sitting on the kitchen floor sobbing, not a great day.
I normally see another dr, but this one is listed as my registered dr. I will be phoning the surgery and asking then to change my registered dr.

Sorry for ranting on but this still upsets and worries me :cry:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
I think you may be a touch overmedicated. The Glic has been reduced but not the Met which is the max allowable dose. When I went onto the 10ug pen Glic was stopped completely and Met was taken down to just morning and evening. This is because the overall effect is to seriously lower your Bg levels especially if you don't have many carbs at a meal. This is something you need to discuss with your DN. If you have records of the numbers / foods it should be easy to see where you need to have adjustments made.

This happened to me after 16 mths and I have no Glic now and may have to stop the Met which I now take in the morning. I have also had to drop to the 5ug dose as well, too many hypos.

The Pizza might 'kick in' later on so keep an eye on those levels as it is a very slow acting meal.

Ken

cugila

Master
Dislikes
You could be coming down with something which will affect the levels, however my hypo episodes came on with a bang after weeks with no problems. My Pancreas just decided that it could give me enough Insulin to deal with things so the meds weren't a good idea, hence they should be reduced at least by half when on Byetta. That is what is recommended so I am surprised at the present dose you are on of both meds.

I would suggest that you keep a close eye on levels and food intake over the next few days and if this continues then you must go and discuss it. You are a danger to yourself if you are on your own and others if you drive . It needs sorting Susie. See the DSN.

Ken

jane22

Just spotted your posts SW and wanted to say I'm so sorry you are feeling so rough and having all these problems. Ny Glic was reduced by half as soon as I started the Byetta in case of hypos so maybe that's something you need to discuss with your nurse or doc as soon as possible. Interesting to read you were able to ditch yours Ken. I asked about this during the appointment when I got the 10 pen and the DSN suggested waiting until my next appointment in September. Luckily I rarely go below 4 but I would love to ditch it. As long as I don't go mad on the carbs I'm getting BG readings within NICE guidelines so of course I don't want to do anything to make this go up. Can I assume as we lose weight we are likely to need less of these drugs? One good thing I have noticed is that as I have lost weight my blood pressure has come down quite a bit almost always being about 120/80 now so I'm hoping that as time goes on I'll be able to reduce those meds too.
One last question is, does anyone on Byetta take any supplements? I have never taken them as I feel I eat most things i need or at least I used to but now I eat such tiny amounts of food. I have also been reading that metformin users can be short of B12. I'm going to ask for a blood test in September when I have my hba1c to check but I do feel very tired much of the time not just a bit tired but very exhausted so I am considering a multivitamin. What do others think?