VICTOZA users

pinktess

Re: VICTOZA

Hi, all

Im new here, been reading all your posts and find many very helpfull. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in april, was told i could have had it for a while because i ignored all the signs... drinking alot, running to the loo, 3 attacks of thrush in 2 months, but what made me go to the doctors was pins and needles in my fingers and numbness in 2 of them. Anyways when my bloods came back it was at 16...didnt mean alot to me as i didnt understand any thing about diabetes.
ive learned fast! I was put on metformin 500mg 1 tab a day for a week, then 2 tabs a day for week 2 and so on till now im on 4 tabs a day. In may i had my bloods done again and was down to 10. Ive had a complete diet change low/fat low/sugar and i have lost over 2 stones so far...i went for another blood last week and it was down to 7.5.. it was then that my DN and GP put me on Simvastatin 40mg, ive have been told this is a very high dose and can cause problems with cramps and stuff, does anyone have problems with this med?

Also cos i still have alot of weight to lose and they want my blood sugars down they are putting me on Victoza, i have to wait for a appointment with someone to come see me at the doctors to show me how to use it, also they do it in a groups of 5 people. What i want to no is do i get this for free as with all my other meds or do i have to pay for it, my gp never said anything about the cost of it.

Pinktess :D

Nilla

My husband has been on Victoza since Monday, no side effects apart from a lessening appetite and feelin fuller sooner and his blood sugars are coming down nicely

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*

pinktess.. :D

All diabetes treatment meds are free in the UK and that will include your Victoza .. good luck with it when you start and don't forget to come back and let us all know how get on with it.

PS .. you should also not have to pay for any UK prescription as you have diabetes.

Garfield

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I was 20 stone and having 4 injections a day, then I asked my Dr. to put me on Victoza, this he did. That was at the end of Sept 2009. Now I am on one injection a day of Vioctoza, my blood sugars are normal. I attend the gym 5 days a week and now I'm down to 13 stone and intend to lose another 2 stone. The Dr. is very pleased with my sugars and my weight loss, it has/is hard work, but worth every min of my activities. I have even dug my bike out of the shed and do my shopping, leaving the car at home. To finish, I feel great and pleased with myself, the only drawback is the cost of new clothes, but what the heck, it's worth it. I am 74 years young and feeling younger. :D
If this note gives anyone encouragement, I will feel that I have done some good.
Cheers,
Roy.

Chris171262

Hi all i am new to this forum, :D
I started Victoza on Tuesday just gone, I am having some nausea but not being sick, I have a weight problem but have lost 7lbs since starting, my blood sugars have dropped to below 10 for the 1st time in 8 months, I did try byetta but because i work shifts it was difficult to use because of time factors and food, I also had nausea with this drug which i never got over. I am determined to keep going with this and hope that the side affects go soon. :mrgreen: The hardest thing is injecting something into your body that you know makes you feel sick but hay if i keep losing the weight and sugars are good i will persevere :lol:

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*

Chris171262 said:
Hi all i am new to this forum, :D
I started Victoza on Tuesday just gone, I am having some nausea but not being sick, I have a weight problem but have lost 7lbs since starting, my blood sugars have dropped to below 10 for the 1st time in 8 months, I did try byetta but because i work shifts it was difficult to use because of time factors and food, I also had nausea with this drug which i never got over. I am determined to keep going with this and hope that the side affects go soon. :mrgreen: The hardest thing is injecting something into your body that you know makes you feel sick but hay if i keep losing the weight and sugars are good i will persevere :lol:

Good for you Chris and I hope you are able to keep with Victoza. One thing about having a bit of extra weight around the middle is injecting the Victoza pens .. spoilt for choice where to place the needle and fat cells are almost deviod of pain receptors :lol:
Don't worry too much about the nausea as it will eventually pass as do all the Victoza side effects.

wolfdog

Hi all I’m new to the site, though not to diabetes , I have had type 2 for 5 years now and don’t have a never had a weight issue.

I have been on Victoza for coming up to 3 months, I was put on it due to the erratic nature of my job and the fact my blood sugars were out of control despite a myriad of tablet and injections.
I have seen a rapid decrease in blood sugar level as well as stabilisation over the whole day where as previously my sugars would be all over the place.

Down side is I suffer the nausea, occasional vomiting, intestinal disturbances (though not too frequent) and a massive loss of appetite (something I scoffed at when I was told as I love good food and can eat when I’m not hungry) specifically though I seem to be losing my appetite for meat! Has anyone else suffered from food specific appetite loss.

I love meat :(

There are times where I have breakfast, can’t face lunch and have to force myself to eat dinner because I know I must.

Question is...do I stay on Victoza as it has certainly done what it said on the tin, or kick it into touch as it is having a reasonably significant impact on my quality of life.

When might the side effects subside?
Thanks

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

wolfdog said:
Question is...do I stay on Victoza as it has certainly done what it said on the tin, or kick it into touch as it is having a reasonably significant impact on my quality of life.

Thanks

If the Victoza 'does what is says on the tin', why on earth would you want to go back to what you had before.....out of control Diabetes with all the attendant complications ? The side effects for most people usually subside in time and it is probably something you just are going to have to stick with for now and read this thread carefully for possible solutions, things that may be of help to you.

In my case recent anti-cancer treatment had some horrendous side effects, however I stuck it out because I knew that the drugs etc were doing me some good. when I look back, I could so easily have given up.......no pain, no gain !

Everybody is different in how they react to, and how long they have to endure any side effects so the question as to when might they subside is like that proverbial 'piece of string'.......who knows ? I am sure that other members will give their own experiences of how they dealt with and coped with the side effects.

If they are too much for you to bear then discuss this with your GP as there are medications which can be prescribed which can possibly help you until things settle down.

Ken

MomSherlock

Dislikes
I absolutely do NOT like mean, rude, ill-mannered people. I also dislike hurricanes, tornados & earthquakes.

cugila said:
wolfdog said:

Thanks

If the Victoza 'does what is says on the tin', why on earth would you want to go back to what you had before.....out of control Diabetes with all the attendant complications ? The side effects for most people usually subside in time and it is probably something you just are going to have to stick with for now and read this thread carefully for possible solutions, things that may be of help to you.

Ken

Wolfdog, Ken is SO right! Each person is different, however if it is doing what it is supposed to do, your numbers are better, and you are eatling less, why would you want to quit? The nausea should go away.... if not completely, then most of it. I still have nausea if I eat too much or if I eat something that I know longer agrees with me. Also if I eat too much sweet stuff I get the nausea. If I had this nausea with my first pregnancy, I would NOT have had a second child! (I didn't have nausea or anything with either pregnancy.)

As long as I don't over eat; stop when I am satisfied, I do OK. I also have to remember that it only takes about a third of what it used to take for my tummy to be happy. :)

I have many things that I used to love to eat, but can't anymore. Coffee being the most major to me. Used to LOVE my coffee but now I can't stand it.... I have to drink tea instead. There are quite a few things that I can't eat any longer, but since most of them weren't really the best things for me to be eating anyway, I'm getting used to it. But the coffee still bugs me!

I was complaining about it to my Endocrinologist 2 days ago and his exact words to me were "you have lost 18 pounds (1.285 stone) in 3 months... GET OVER IT". Guess he told me, didn't he? He said that since the med is doing what it is supposed to do, he was keeping me on it. ALL of my lab numbers are FANTASTIC! That tells me I need to do what Dr. ****** said.... I'm just going to have to get over it. :roll: (what a great thing for a doc to say!)

Keep up the good work, and try to stick with it. Since I've started on this path to better health, I've lost a total of 3 stone (42 lbs) and my labs have shown significant improvement. Hopefully, you will find that the benefits FAR outweigh the negative aspects.

Have a wonderful week :!:
Peggy

Chris171262

Well its me again, only found the site yesterday and this is my 2nd post :shock:
I have nearly done a week now, I find it very hard to eat anything, seem to have had a bad day today, can anyone tell me if they inject at night time and if so does it make any difference :?: I inject in mornings but dont want to take it to work with me. I also work shifts so where last week it was 09.00 for the injection this week its 06.00. and next week it will be 07.30, Any advice greatly appreciated I so want to get on with this drug. :idea:

Nilla

Your supposed to do them at the same time each day, hubby does his at 6pm and is fine at that time

Nilla

No but hes still on 0.6 he goes up to 1.2 tomorrow, someone told me the best thing to stop nausea from drugs is to take one of those probiotic drinks daily and he does

Nilla

Well 2 weeks ago he was hitting 28 all the time got admitted to hospital and they did nothing, they discharged him and he was still ill with high sugars, last Monday they started him on Victoza and his sugars are coming right down, early mornings are 8 which is good for him and 2 hours after meals about 9, his usual readings are 16 to 21 but he is watching his diet more as well. So far so good here

Chris171262

Wow sounds like its having the right affect :p
My sugars have never been that high think 20 was the highest, I am down to 9.4 ish in the mornings best this week was 5.7 in the evening all before food.

Well I hope he keeps on going in the right direction. Thanks for responding to me :p

Chris171262

Well I changed the time of the injection, I am now doing it before bed and today was the 1st time I have felt ok, Blood sugar was 9.4 1st thing before food this morning. Have taken it agian this afternoon again before food and it was 6.7. I actually feel hungry as well for the 1st time in a week :!:
I will try and keep going with it at night and see what happens next, How I see it if I am going to feel ill lets hope I am a sleep :roll:

Nilla

Hubby has gone up to 1.2 today, his bloods were 6.4 this morning and he had his injection at 4pm, ate at 5pm so will take his bloods at 5pm, the way he is going he may hopefully be able to stop taking Glicazide and just take his Metformin

Chris171262

my Dr said i could not take glicozide with the injection, and i have never got on with metformin so its just the victoza for me and me blood pressure, and astrovastin :shock:

sounds like your hubby is doing great to me I have to wait till the 16th to find out my next step :arrow: