Switching pumps.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I feel lucky that my team are allowing me to transfer from the insight pump so early on.
I have been using an insight pump for about a year and 5 months, but I have been having problems with errors and airbubbles since going on the insight pump.
I have also had cartridges leek in the chamber.
I am switching to omnipod on the 8th june 2017 and I'm excited :D

Anyone use fisap with omnipod?

Reactions: azure and Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow, nice one @Type1Lad - but sorry to hear you've been having so many problems with your current pump! Good luck with the changeover - I imagine the Omnipod will be very different (in a good way!).

My pump itself (also an Insight) has been trouble-free since I got it 18 months ago, but I'm on my third handset! Both the first ones had faulty on/off switches (made no difference to how the pump worked, but was nevertheless jolly irritating).

:)

Reactions: Type1Lad

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Type1Lad - the only feedback I've seen on Omnipod use with Fiasp is similar to that of normal pumps. Due to sites being used up more quickly, people are not letting the pods run three days days (although I've only seen a small amount of feedback).

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Type1Lad - the only feedback I've seen on Omnipod use with Fiasp is similar to that of normal pumps. Due to sites being used up more quickly, people are not letting the pods run three days days (although I've only seen a small amount of feedback).
I'm confused what do you mean sites used up more quickly?

tircoed

I have been on my Omnipod 6 months i love it. I chose the pump as i did not want one that was tethered, i find it easy to use.and like i can wear it on my arms and tummy, pump change is easy usually takes me about 5 mins which is great. Good luck I'm sure u will love it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I am switching to omnipod on the 8th june 2017 and I'm excited :D

Nice one, it's a great little pump and so far I've had very few issues.

Anyone use fisap with omnipod?

I don't, but I was chatting to my consultant at my last review about Fiasp and they said it could be prescribed if I requested so, I believe the cost is similar to NovoRapid so there shouldn't be a problem with changing to Fiasp @Type1Lad

Good luck with the changeover.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you I'm excited! My diabetic nurse wants me to stay on novarapid to start with but I want Fiasp so I can avoid waiting the 15mins wait.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What I mean about "sites being used up faster" is that quite a lot of Fiasp users on pumps are finding that Fiasp reduces the amount of time a cannula site lasts for, so you have to change them more frequently.

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you I'm excited! My diabetic nurse wants me to stay on novarapid to start with but I want Fiasp so I can avoid waiting the 15mins wait.
I started on a pump just over a month ago! I use Novorapid, and on MDI I had to inject at least 20-30 mins before eating but I found on the pump I don't need to do that. I dose just before I eat and I don't get the post meal spikes I would have on MDI. Maybe it's because I am using different sites so my absorption is much better, but it's just something to look out for when you start up. Good luck! I love my pump!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
What I mean about "sites being used up faster" is that quite a lot of Fiasp users on pumps are finding that Fiasp reduces the amount of time a cannula site lasts for, so you have to change them more frequently.

Interesting, wonder why that is happening?

So Tim, are these people experiencing absorption issues or is the insulin just causing a reaction (as in inflammation etc) at the cannula site.................hence the need to change sites more frequent?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Interesting, wonder why that is happening?

So Tim, are these people experiencing absorption issues or is the insulin just causing a reaction (as in inflammation etc) at the cannula site.................hence the need to change sites more frequent?
Quite a few people have experienced absorption issues once the site exceeds 48 hrs, hence the need to change it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Quite a few people have experienced absorption issues once the site exceeds 48 hrs, hence the need to change it.

Right thanks, can I ask if your experiencing the same?

I wouldn't like to change sites every 2 days, the Pods have a 3 day expiry period (with a 8 hour grace period) and that works fine for me.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Right thanks, can I ask if your experiencing the same?

I wouldn't like to change sites every 2 days, the Pods have a 3 day expiry period (with a 8 hour grace period) and that works fine for me.
I'm getting about 60 hours per set, instead of 72.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
mhmm that don't seem to much of an issue though, and it's different for everyone I guess I can keep sets in for 3-4 days atm haven't gone over 4 days =p
I always forget to change on 3 :p
But we shall see.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yeh thankfully when i am on omnipod I won't forget to change :p
Not long to wait now 13 more days!