Help

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
John, I have some experience with bowel issues, and high fibre and a stoma just don't mix! I agree that this won't happen in the time scale you want, but I think you can significantly lower those numbers, even with your meds. Simplest way to hit the ground running - cut out cereals, bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. All sorts not just the white, wholemeal versions can be just as high carb. Don't skimp on fats, eg scrambed eggs made with a bit of butter. Lunch, salad with eggs or cheese, Dinner, replace sounds etc with extra veg, try celeriac mashed with but of butter and cream ( not too much, or it will play havoc with your tum).

Meat is good, fish is good minus batter and chips! Check bloods just before meals and two hours after. I know this seems a massive undertaking but it can be done and your levels should start to drop. Metformin doesn't do much for levels, there are other meds, and the option of insulin if other measures don't work.
Ask questions here, as often as you need to.

Reactions: John73

dollydreamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tories
have u tried myfitnesspal its a free app and you can log all yr food and exercise. since starting this as i needed to weigh food in order to log it, i realised that my portions were way out of control. it's really helped me to control my food intake and i'm not hungry and my bs is coming down. i know its not for everyone but its helped me get back in control of my food intake. it also helped me to see the nutrient content of what i was eating. its like a new adventure. for me its not about what i can't eat anymore, its about all the delicious nutritious food i can eat. good luck xx

Reactions: John73

John73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a diabetic clinic appt this morning, nurse happy that metformin alone isn't working, so have an appt with a nurse practitioner tomorrow, so that I can be prescribed a drug to increase insulin production. So hopefully will be further on my way.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi John,

I adopted LCHF the day I was diagnosed . I was diagnosed with a reading of18.4

In the following 7 days I ate on average 917 calories 38 g of carbs, 60 protein, 58 fat. I also walked on average10,000 paces per day, spending at least half an hour walking after every meal.

My BS came down by slightly more than 1 mmol pr day so that by the end of week 1, I was starting to record single digit figures.

Knowing what I know now, it would have been even more successful with only 20g of carbs, which is my current food strategy.

In the limited time available if you opt for practically zero carbs for the next week, you might find you can get your numbers into single digits by the appointment date. do you have an appointment time? many of us find that the measurements are high in the morning but go down in the afternoon, so probably the later in the day the better, preferably having walked the10,000 paces first.

Good luck

I did not take any medications, you have already got the benefits from metformin so you might be able to present a much better profile next week if not another carb crosses your lips between now and then !

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a diabetic clinic appt this morning, nurse happy that metformin alone isn't working, so have an appt with a nurse practitioner tomorrow, so that I can be prescribed a drug to increase insulin production. So hopefully will be further on my way.

Before you opt for a drug that increases insulin production, i would be wise to ask for an insulin test. The chances are that your insulin is already sky high. Having a drug which increases the production of it still further is thus unlikely to help much.

The thing you are most probably trying to do, is actually reduce the levels of insulin circulating, The problem you have is just as likely to be that the insulin you do produce is not having the desired effect, so adding more of it won't necessarily help.

Instead you need to reduce the need for insulin itself, thus the fact that the sky high levels already circulating in your blood don't actually work to reduce your glucose levels won't matter so much because your glucose levels won't be going up as much in the first place! You can achieve that with a low carb diet.

Reactions: Ultramum

John73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. I went to the gp yesterday and she prescribed gliclazide in addition to the metformin. She has also said that I should as best as possible go on a low GI diet. So what the wife and I have decided is to go on a low carbo diet, using s many low Gim foods as possible. I think that 38g of carbs would leave me hungry, and having read 55g somewhere that is what I am going to use as a max carb intake per meal. Today I had fish and salad for lunch with water. Tonight's tea is spagbol, with courgettes replacing the pasta.

My blood sugar levels today were 27.6 (I ate extremely late last night), 22.6 pre break then 21.3, pre lunch 16.5 and just now 13.8. That is the lowest I have recorded since I started, so am happy. Test will be tonight's evening meal.

So fingers crossed