Low readings

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all
Diagnosed Jan 17 101 hb1ac last one in April was 45.
I'm on 3 times a day 500mg of metformin and Dr won't drop dose yet."It is preserving the insulin you have left" WHAT.?
I'm constantly getting the shakes an hour after taking it.I have a reasonable 40g + carb dinner and my readings are in the 4's.I had to eat quarter of an aero bar to carm me down yesterday before bed .I have lost 3 stone in weight and have an active life.
Is it possible that the Dr's theory is cobblers and I could of had a fatty pancreas and now insulin is free flowing.
Thank you.

Reactions: kokhongw

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Readings in the 4s aren't low readings. Under 4 is hypo. Over 4 (4.0, 4.1, 4.2, etc) are perfectly normal blood sugar levels. If you've only just started getting nice normal readings in the 4s and were previously operating at higher levels I would suggest the symptoms of shakiness are most likely false hypos.

Yes, metformin doesn't do anything to preserve insulin. But managing to achieve readings in the 4s suggests you don't have a problem with insulin production. Your more likely to have had a problem with insulin resistance, so your insulin was always free flowing, it's just your cells weren't capable using it efficiently to deal with glucose. Metformin dose assist with insulin resistance by making your liver give out less glucose, it also helps with weight loss which improve insulin sensitivity.

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks caterpillar
Makes sence.
I think the extra heat we're having is having an extra affect towards lower readings as well.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Diagnosed Jan 17 101 hb1ac last one in April was 45.
I'm on 3 times a day 500mg of metformin and Dr won't drop dose yet."It is preserving the insulin you have left" WHAT.?
I'm constantly getting the shakes an hour after taking it.I have a reasonable 40g + carb dinner and my readings are in the 4's.I had to eat quarter of an aero bar to carm me down yesterday before bed .I have lost 3 stone in weight and have an active life.
Is it possible that the Dr's theory is cobblers and I could of had a fatty pancreas and now insulin is free flowing.
Thank you.
Metformin never made any difference to my blood sugar levels and when I stopped taking it no-one noticed, especially me. Yes it is possible that the Doctor's theory is cobblers but you have to prove it.

Have you any readings at the time you are having the shakes? This would clinch it. If the readings are over 4 when you are shaking then you have another problem.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks caterpillar
Makes sence.
I think the extra heat we're having is having an extra affect towards lower readings as well.

If you feel the heat is impacting you, please ensure you're drinking enough. Dehydration is a sneaky old things, and can present itself in the most peculiar of ways.

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I did have a couple of 3.7s. Fluid could be a problem as was used to having 2 pints of ale a night and now just don't fancy fluid let alone beer.But having a piece of chocolate really steaded me.Have also been suffering with anxiety.
May be a combination of things.
Thank you.