Floaters

Adonno

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, i have this black spot on my right eye its nearly in the middle of my vision. I have retinopathy and is there a way to remove this black spot?

Sample vision
view

Last edited:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Ask your optometrist.

I assume that you are already working flat out to normalize your blood glucose levels to prevent further problems.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Adonno ,

I don't have issues with my retinas, but have had with the macula which is more a distortion than a shadow or black out..

I'll tag in a couple of guys I believe have had retinopathy treatment..

@himtoo @noblehead

Adonno

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: Freema

sheepie123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How long have you had diabetes for that looks like proliferative can you not get that removed? From my limited understanding the opticians aim to save central vision only

D

Deleted member 308541

If I had black spots like that in my eyes, I would be asking my Optometrist for a referral to a Ophthalmologist as soon as possible.

Reactions: Kevin259

Adonno

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have it diabetes for 22 years now, my eye doctor says it can't be removed, it hard to read and specially looking at people's faces but I'm already use to it tho but it would be much easier if that black spot is gone

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have it diabetes for 22 years now, my eye doctor says it can't be removed, it hard to read and specially looking at people's faces but I'm already use to it tho but it would be much easier if that black spot is gone

It may go in time if the haemorrhage occurred recently, usually the blood is reabsorbed by the body but in cases where it isn't (and sight is effected, further bleeds occur and retinal detachment may be a possibility) then a Vitrectomy may be considered and carried out.

Some info on vitreous haemorrhages and the vitrectomy operation:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/vitreous_hemorrhage.html

Reactions: Adonno

Dark Horse

Sometimes a black spot in the vision is not due to haemorrhage but due to damage in the retina. This is called a blind spot or scotoma. If this is the case, there would be no way to remove the spot as the retina can't be repaired. However, the brain is very clever at adjusting to blind spots and over time it may become less noticeable. Scotoma can have various causes including age-related macular degeneration and laser treatment for maculopathy.
http://www.webrn-maculardegeneration.com/central-scotoma.html

Ask your eye doctor what the cause of your black spot is. In the UK, drivers should report their scotoma to the DVLA. https://www.gov.uk/scotoma-and-driving

uptome

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello, i have this black spot on my right eye its nearly in the middle of my vision. I have retinopathy and is there a way to remove this black spot?

Sample vision
view
I have the the 'floaters', but only the one I am aware of in my left eye. It doesn't bother me and having asked my optician the very same question you have asked, he has told me "NO" He also told me that he has them himself. If they do not hinder your everyday life then just carry on as you are. Keep fit and maintain a healthy body weight if possible. As for the 'floaters' if they concern you too much then visit the optician again or your GP. I have been told they are quite common so don't get to worrying too much.

Reactions: Adonno

Adonno

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it. It doesn't really bother me to be honest actually im used to it tho its just jinda bit hard to see people's faces with this spots haha, but i guess there's really no way to fix it