Grapefruit

JoJo_MoJo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've read that eating grapefruit each day can help reduce insulin resistance and am keen to give it a go but hate fresh grapefruit. Would tinned (in own juice) or grapefruit juice work just as well?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Grapefruit - being a tropical citrus fruit is high in carbs - one fruit could contain up to 30 gm of carbs - which is more than many diet controlled diabetics eat in a day.
I can't see any reason to believe that eating a fruit high in fructose could reduce insulin resistance.
I know that it is tempting to hope that a particular food, or additive or herb, is going to be a cure, but I would be very sceptical that something so sugary would help the situation.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Grapefruit can also react badly with many medications. Best to check before combining it with any drug.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read that eating grapefruit each day can help reduce insulin resistance and am keen to give it a go but hate fresh grapefruit. Would tinned (in own juice) or grapefruit juice work just as well?
Grapefruit can lower blood sugar and it is suggested that it is as effective as Metformin. However, you should avoid grapefruit if you are taking Metformin, statins or calcium channel blockers for high blood pressure.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That explains why I could never get grapefruit juice in pubs and had to drink pineapple juice - mixed with fizzy water to make a pint - but even that is now a no-no of course..

Reactions: Freema

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Grapefruit can also react badly with many medications. Best to check before combining it with any drug.
E.g. statins - but this link lists other sites with general info on grapefruit and other drugs too.

Robbity

Reactions: Liam1955
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Reactions: Freema and Liam1955

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you sure about metformin? Not heard of that so googled and it came back to this site...

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/grapefruit-juice-and-metformin.72370/
See http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/grapefruit-metformin-6250.html

A study conducted at University of KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa and published in "Methods and Findings in Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology" in 2009 showed grapefruit juice taken in conjunction with metformin increased the levels of lactic acid in the body. The body relies on a constant internal pH, and if too much acid builds up in the blood, the results can be organ failure or death. Although the study was conducted on animals, the researchers found there was enough evidence for diabetics to exercise caution when taking metformin and grapefruit juice.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Personally I take the grapefruit and drug interactions very seriously indeed, and it is a priority over my liking of eating or drinking grapefruit.

I would suggest you discuss it with your GP, purely because I have found Pharmacists singularly unhelpful with this issue.

Here is a rather nice link: http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/11November/Pages/Prescription-pills-and-grapefruit-a-deadly-mix.aspx

JoJo_MoJo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks everyone. Think I am going to give this a miss. Currently looking at the health benefits of tumeric supplements instead. The research is pretty impressive and not just for diabetes

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Thanks everyone. Think I am going to give this a miss. Currently looking at the health benefits of tumeric supplements instead. The research is pretty impressive and not just for diabetes

Hi :). I have only been taking Tumeric capsules and an Omega 3 capsule every day now for 1 month. A Friend told me they are good for joint problems - so, as I have Osteoarthritis I thought I would try them. (It's early days as I have found no change in my joints)
Would be interested to know what you find out about the effects of Tumeric on Diabetes. :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

It is believed that the spice is more beneficial when consumed as warm food with some fat than in tablet form. This article explains it better.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press/news/2016/09/turmeric/

I have warm turmeric milk each working day for breakfast. I use almond milk and pinch of Truvia. This is the tasty recipe I use

https://whereismyspoon.co/turmeric-paste-for-golden-milk/

Do not drink golden milk if you are taking anticoagulant medicines.