What is considered a high dosage of Insulin?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I was talking with a friend today who is T2 on insulin, and I was rather taken aback when he happened to say how many units he was injecting per day. He told me he was taking 100 units a day. I was wondering if that would be considered a relatively high dose by those T2's on here that take insulin or is it a relatively normal amount to be taking.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well he's a bit bigger than that well a lot bigger to be truthful he has been on insulin for several years now. I think he said he injects about 32 in the morning and 68 in the evening. splitting the evening dose between two sites.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type one. Not fat. I take 1/2 unit per meal. Can't imagine injecting all that ! Sounds painful. I'm sure some need it to control but ouch!!!

Lantus hurts and stings only eith one or two units. Can't imagine again.

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @JohnEGreen - May depend on what type of insulin he's taking - I'm using Novomix 30, which is a mixed - 30% quick acting, 70% long acting combo. I inject twice a day, before breakfast 22 units and before dinner 16 and also take Metformin XR before bed.
This dosage happily gives me readings the endo asked for - between 5 and 7 fasting and under 10 after meals - and generally lower - averages over 7/14/30 days with 6 tests a day are high 6's - this combines with a lowish carb diet and I'm thinking about reducing the dosage gradually to see how it goes.
As a fairly newcomer to Type 2 and going on insulin almost straight away I don't really know any other way - but was intrigued?? when I was in hospital for rehab after my recent double knee replacement to meet a lady in her mid 50's,(7 years younger than me) Type 2, one leg recently amputated, (the reason she was also in rehab) and the other foot looking as if it was heading the same way. She ate massive meals, lots of things I wouldn't touch and just worked out a huge number of carbs per meal and injected to suit.
Her choice of course - but an added reminder to me that that was not the best way for me to go forward!!