FREESTYLE LIBRE still not sure

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i'm thinking about trying the libre One of the thing i would like to know where to to site it. I have large upper arms and i'm worried about catching it. Most t-shirts are tight on my upper arm and at £50 a time ?
Is there anywhere else i can put it .

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i'm thinking about trying the libre One of the thing i would like to know where to to site it. I have large upper arms and i'm worried about catching it. Most t-shirts are tight on my upper arm and at £50 a time ?
Even with the tightest of clothing, you'd be very unlikely to see any accidental removal of a Libre sensor.

Reactions: caretaker
D

Deleted Account

I think some people have tried placing it somewhere else. However, the upper arm is the only place it is approved for. Anywhere else may affect the readings.
I think Freestyle are trying very hard to push their Libre so have been very eager to give out trials. I would strongly recommend investigating this. It will give you practical experience of having one on your arm as well as how comfortable you are with the results it provides. Many people love it and feel it adds amazing value. However, I tried it for nearly 3 weeks (my first sensor fell off after a few days) and did not think it was worth the money as it fell off, gave hugely different values from finger pricks (which it cannot replace) and was very uncomfortable.

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi
FREESTYLE LIBRE like marmite ,black pudding .oxo you either like it or you hate it ........
me freestyle i like it great for working out basel rates at night but only on a 3 day history as we can all some odd results even on normal blood sugar monitors but we are all different, what works for me may not work for u
vic.
insulin for along while since 1957

Reactions: Sibyl

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you have a smartphone you could always try buying one sensor and see what you think....** I know it's very expensive but most ppl I've seen posts from on the forum think it's more than worth it and has helped them reduce their hbA1c.

** this way you can use your phone to scan sensor rather than buying reader

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you have a smartphone you could always try buying one sensor and see what you think....** I know it's very expensive but most ppl I've seen posts from on the forum think it's more than worth it and has helped them reduce their hbA1c.

** this way you can use your phone to scan sensor rather than buying reader
i'm thinking of buying a new phone. do you use a smartphone and what are you using.

D

Deleted Account

The phone app is LibreLink. It works using NFC which is available on most (if not all) phones nowadays. However, I think there is only an Android version available today.

Regarding buying one sensor to try it out - getting a trial is much much cheaper. I also got a receiver when i had the trial. My trial was arranged by my Diabetes Nurse. They may not do trials any more but there's no harm in asking.

iHs

The best way of trying the Libre is to go to one of the diabetes events held across the UK .....DUK and JDRF and get a voucher for a free sensor and reader. Try before you buy :)

Reactions: caretaker

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The phone app is LibreLink. It works using NFC which is available on most (if not all) phones nowadays. However, I think there is only an Android version available today.

Regarding buying one sensor to try it out - getting a trial is much much cheaper. I also got a receiver when i had the trial. My trial was arranged by my Diabetes Nurse. They may not do trials any more but there's no harm in asking.
i'll give it a try

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Even with the tightest of clothing, you'd be very unlikely to see any accidental removal of a Libre sensor.
I managed to remove one accidentally. I had got used to it being there and just removed my T shirt as I normally would. Either the cuff or the shoulder seam must have caught in the sensor and just peeled it off. The first I knew of it was when I saw it lying on the floor.

After that I took more care when removing shirts/coats and never had another accident.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I managed to remove one accidentally. I had got used to it being there and just removed my T shirt as I normally would. Either the cuff or the shoulder seam must have caught in the sensor and just peeled it off. The first I knew of it was when I saw it lying on the floor.

After that I took more care when removing shirts/coats and never had another accident.
I've heard mixed responses with the effectiveness of the adhesive on various members here. With me, it's like superglue - even at the end of the fortnight.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I Have the sensor on my chest because my friends and I play pretty rough in the pool and I don't want to lose it when someone grabs my arm. For swimming I use tegaderm film over the sensor, I usually keep the tegaderm on for a couple of days and I find it reduces the risk of the sensor catching something and losing it. The chest is also easier to scan when wearing winterclothes, just pull your zipper down a bit and stick your phone in your coat. My phone (samsung S3 mini) scans fine through three layers of clothes and the smartphone case. You need a phone whith android. I'm not sure if you should put the sensor on your chest if you're skinny, but I'm fat and it works fine for me.

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i'm thinking of buying a new phone. do you use a smartphone and what are you using.

I use the reader as my phone belongs in the jurassic period and needs an upgrade!!
Librelink app only available on android phones though.
I certainly agree as others have said that if you can get a trial one then definitely do!!

That option wasn't available for me so I had to fork out for starter pack but for me it was more than worth it.

Good luck and if you do get one I hope it works for you :)

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
@LadyLovely

Here's a photo of a (used) sensor showing the fine filament that was inside me.

692b5337e714e07dccd583a59044d80a.jpg

Emelliott_

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I have used it and I found my upper arm was the best. I was really worried that it would fall off or be caught on things but it sticks really well and you can get big plasters (basically sticky cling film) which put your mind at ease about them being secure

gardener612

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the Libre and love it. I noticed that one of you affixed it to your chest. Have others of you used different parts of the body than the upper arm? If so, did it work effectively despite the location? I was thinking about putting it on my stomach during summer so that it's not so visible.

Bluesummer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi!
I trialled the freestyle - and for me they fall off! I wear a lot of sleevless tops for dancing and golf, it was just too vulnerable and it got flicked off - or sweated off! I found a video on youtube of someone putting it in their thigh. This worked much better for me - as it is usually covered and protected by clothes. I also found that I got more accurate readings. Another bonus is that no-one could see it. When it was in my arm - people commented or asked. I've never had to tell so many people that I was diabetic.
Another point - they will replace the sensor if they fall off. Ring the helpline and they will send another one out.
Always worth mentioning that this will NOT replace your prick testing. It is not accurate enough, and it is not accepted by the DVLA. However I have found it really useful, as it will produce graphs that show you what is happening at night and between tests. This is really helpful when setting your basal levels and your bolus ratio. So I have bought a couple since the trial that I use periodically to check what's happening....
I say 'give it a go' but don't throw your prick tester away...
Good Luck!