low carb snacks

dipsydo

I have been trying out some low carb snacks from Marks they are quite expensive ( 3 for £7) but thought I would try to get a variety rather than my normal olives, cheese, nuts and pork crackling. The ones I have tried are salami crisps( very nice) carbs 5 per 100 gm but I find I can only eat max 20 gm so effectively 1 carb , Chorizo crisps carbs 3.2gm per 100 gm but I find them not very nice- the best I find are the crackling crisps ( no carbs and only pork rind-( no rusk) and salt so high protein.) but which I find are yummy and much nicer than Tesco / Sainsbury's ones.

For cheaper snacks I know I can probably toast pieces of salami to get the salami crisps but would not bother about chorizo . I know I should not eat too many snacks (diet doctor states the best snack is no snack) but it would be nice to have a variety available. So does anyone have other suggestions for low carb snacks?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
My favourite snacks are a couple of nuts, a small amount of peanuts or cashews,, a square of 90% Lindt chocolate, Lidl salami sticks, a small amount of cheese, but not all at the same time. :)

I did used to like pork scratchings but they are a bit too salty for me nowadays (I have gone off of salty snacks) also a friend cracked her tooth on pork scratchings, which was expensive to get fixed.

I often find that the munchies go away if I have a cold drink.

I have also found that any snacks after dinner give me a higher fasting blood glucose test result the next morning.

Reactions: Ultramum

dipsydo

I too find I must not have anything in the evening otherwise bit higher in the morning so just was looking to vary my afternoon snack .. I now only have one main meal in around midday but get serious case of the munchies at about 4 pm even after drinking water.. I will try colder water see if it helps. Thanks

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find if I'm eating few enough carbs and plenty enough fat then I don't actually need to snack between meals, and can sometimes miss a couple meals all together, or occasionally have a small snack instead of.

It's possibly to go all day before eating, and a lot of low carb people on the forum are fasting now on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Megnala

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've got a weakness for snacks: I used to like sunflower seeds and almonds, but I tended to overdo it, so I changed to 'mini-meals'.
What I mean by that is if I'm actually hungry, I'll make myself some coleslaw, or have some blue cheese and wine, or boil some eggs. The fact that there's a small commitment involved means I can't be bothered to prepare it unless I'm actually hungry, and it prevents mindless snacking. It may not work for those less indolent than myself, but I've found it a healthy little habit.

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes I think that is the answer Geordie, when I feel the urge to snack I say to myself - if you are really hungry make yourself a mini meal - then when I decide I can't be bothered I've saved myself a few calories, but if I really need it I've made sure it was a low carb one.
(well thats the theory anyhow) ;)

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My favorite low carb snack which is also best for diabetic person and is good for the heart is the tuna salad crisps top with cucumber slices. I am certainly on diet but would love to dig in to this guilt free snack. Easy to prepare though and very satisfying food as well.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a 70% cocoa solids chocolate person.
Usually 2 squares is enough.

And I recently discovered seaweed thins. They are flat pieces of dried seaweed, in either wasabi, soy, or plain salt flavour. They are as light as a feather, slightly crunchy, and there are 18 in a pack, each 2x3 inches or so. Very interesting. I think they are around 22 calories and 1g of carbs per pack (0.6g carbs in the wasabi pack I ate yesterday). Although I should add that Mr B has declared them to be the most disgusting things he has ever tasted, and flinches when I offer him one. But then his idea of a snack is 100g of rum'n'raisin fudge. :D

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Just thought I'd give a shout out for fat balls, if you're keto. There are lots of recipes online, both sweet and savoury, and they boost your fat intake too!

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
For travelling (pre-covid 19) I used to make nut balls with peanut butter. Snacks at home are a piece of cheese, a slice of ham or the occasional slice of a very low carb (keto) cake (alldayIdreamaboutfood is a good site for recipes although some of hers are a little too high in carbs for me).

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone ever tried ketobabe chocolate? Seems pretty legit..only 4 net carbs per bar apparently:woot: Really wanna try the ube flavour and the creme brulee but I am a bit skeptical...Seems too good to be true:arghh:
I'd prefer Montezuma's 100% cocoa chocolate available in various flavours. No added sugar or sweeteners or sunflower oil. Ketobabe has all of those. I believe most people find Montezumas 100% cocoa Orange and cocoa nib bars a bit less brutal than the plain, or if you like peppermint, their Absolute Black with Mint could blow your head off. I am currently hooked on their Absolute Black 100% buttons dipped (by me) in Erythritol to make them a little sweeter. All only 8g carbs per 100g.
Sorry, I was wrong. Ketobabe does NOT contain sugar.

Last edited: