Another Low Carb Diet Success!

smull

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I just wanted to post here to tell you all of my success on the low carb diet. My name is Andy and I've been a member on here since January when I was first diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't posted anything but have been dipping in and reading posts from time to time. I've learned a lot and taken on board information on a low carb diet from here and elsewhere on the web.

I'm posting now to say thanks because today, 3 months since diagnosis, I got my HbA1c blood test results and was delighted to find that I'm back in 'normal' range. A reading of 38 mmol/mol down from 52 mmol/mol in January. It's fair to say that without the low carb diet and the information found on this forum, I would not be where I am now.

I realise I can't be complacent and I am focused on my goal to continue losing weight (I've lost 3.5 stones so far) and keep my blood sugars down. I shall be sticking around and may even post some more now I've broke my cherry!

I must say thanks to those of you that mentioned Lidl's high protein bread rolls, they allow me to eat 'normally' at work and even have a bacon butty from time to time! I'd be lost without them and am a regular at my local Lidl now.

Cheers,
Andy

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,

I just wanted to post here to tell you all of my success on the low carb diet. My name is Andy and I've been a member on here since January when I was first diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't posted anything but have been dipping in and reading posts from time to time. I've learned a lot and taken on board information on a low carb diet from here and elsewhere on the web.

I'm posting now to say thanks because today, 3 months since diagnosis, I got my HbA1c blood test results and was delighted to find that I'm back in 'normal' range. A reading of 38 mmol/mol down from 52 mmol/mol in January. It's fair to say that without the low carb diet and the information found on this forum, I would not be where I am now.

I realise I can't be complacent and I am focused on my goal to continue losing weight (I've lost 3.5 stones so far) and keep my blood sugars down. I shall be sticking around and may even post some more now I've broke my cherry!

I must say thanks to those of you that mentioned Lidl's high protein bread rolls, they allow me to eat 'normally' at work and even have a bacon butty from time to time! I'd be lost without them and am a regular at my local Lidl now.

Cheers,
Andy
Well done you!!!!I hope your medical support team are impressed. I'm sure your family and friends are very happy with your positive attitude and how you've taken control of your situation. Joy:joyful::joyful:

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Thanks peeps. Just to give you an idea how far I've come. 2 photos from Faceache taken one year apart:

19st 7lbs vs 15st 13lbs.
:)

Hello@smull,welcome to the forum,your progress is very goodmirrors my own

smull

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two things happened today:

a87113350ad7c3df987add1c7fb5bef9.jpg

1) I finally hit my 4 stone weight loss target and....

2) I had that giant pizza I promised myself as a reward.

Oh, and a slice of peanut butter cheesecake....and a glass of merlot. So I might have gone back into the diabetic scale again. But it was worth it. Back to being good again tomorrow.

Reactions: Ultramum

Higgsy321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done on your success, did you follow a specific diet regime, if so can you let me know which it is as I am in need of a weight loss diet to improve my control and get my HBa1c down to acceptable levels.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

easully

Hey Andy,

This is great progress, well done! I work in the press office of Diabetes.co.uk and it would be great if at some point we could have a chat with you about your low-carb journey!

Thanks

Emily.

Thanks peeps. Just to give you an idea how far I've come. 2 photos from Faceache taken one year apart:

19st 7lbs vs 15st 13lbs.
:)

Reactions: Ultramum

smull

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Andy,

This is great progress, well done! I work in the press office of Diabetes.co.uk and it would be great if at some point we could have a chat with you about your low-carb journey!

Thanks

Emily.

Emily, I totally missed this post, I am so sorry :( I'd love to chat if you're still interested? Mail me on [email protected] if you like, I definitely won't miss an email!

Anyhoo, time for an update.

Been a while hasn't it? I've been quietly doing my thing and waiting patiently for the date when I could dispense my blood for sugar testing. That date came last week and today I got the results.

My blood sugar is NORMAL for the second time since the Diabetes diagnosis :) I wasn't expecting anything less tbh but one doesn't like to count chickens before they hatch. Having said that I'd been a little less strict and my trip to the land of the obese (USA) in August saw me relax my diet alot for the duration of the jolly.

Anyhoo, my next test isn't until April of next year so that's that for a while. As far as weight loss goes, I hit my new, new, new target a couple of weeks ago with 6 stones lost since Jan 3rd :eek: I must confess that I've let my hair down a bit since then so my loss currently sits somewhere between 5.5 and 6 stones.

I won't share any Barry Bethell-esque photos of me holding out the waist of a pair of giant troosers but instead, I'll let my wedding ring illustrate the scale of my achievement:

Time for a new one I guess?

So what now?

Well, in the immediate future you'll find me eating a Domino's pizza and some Ben & Jerry's (you'll allow me that won't you?!) but following that I'll be back to the regime with (perhaps) some long overdue exercise to help me down to my new, new, new, new target of 12.5 stones. When I hit that (hopefully before Christmas) you'll be the first to know.

Whilst getting Diabetes is FAR from ideal it's safe to say that if I hadn't had the diagnosis (and the kick up the **** I needed) I'd still be 19-20 stones, of that I'm sure. Thanks for the forum and the support so far ;)

Cheers,
Andy
x