Worst review with DSN

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done for getting that appointment. :)
You tried, and at least he has increased it to 100 from 50, which is better than no increase.
Are you taking your insulin now?

I am taking my insulin and victoza injections as prescribed. 10 units of novorapid with each meal, 36 units of Tresiba and 1.2 mg of Victoza.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm pleased you got some more strips @akindrat18 100 is a lot better than 50.

I hope everything is going ok for you now, and well done on getting back on your prescribed meds :)

Reactions: Freema

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Everything was going ok, until yesterday when I went to my pharmacy for my test strips and they weren't available. Also I over indulged at a birthday meal with a large carvery and half of a huge slice of a black forest gateau (the other half is in my fridge).

Woke up this morning to the smell of bacon n cheese croissants, with no bacon leftover for me to have. So I had a bowl of cereal, then for lunch a board of cheese and for dinner piri piri chicken and pasta.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It was one day. Throw out the leftover cake. Eat better for the rest of the day. Call the surgery again and explain the need to test when using insulin. This has gone on long enough, ask to speak with the practice manager about it.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Everything was going ok, until yesterday when I went to my pharmacy for my test strips and they weren't available. Also I over indulged at a birthday meal with a large carvery and half of a huge slice of a black forest gateau (the other half is in my fridge).

Woke up this morning to the smell of bacon n cheese croissants, with no bacon leftover for me to have. So I had a bowl of cereal, then for lunch a board of cheese and for dinner piri piri chicken and pasta.

It's perfectly possible to eat lots at a carvery and limit carbs so your BS stays in range.

As for the cake, some people find it easier to not have any so that they don't get a taste for it, but others like to not miss out so have a tiny portion eg a spoonful.

Order your test strips in good time and then the pharmacy will be able to get them in for you if they've run out. Or if that pharmacy is unreliable/slow/often has things out of stock, use another one.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It's perfectly possible to eat lots at a carvery and limit carbs so your BS stays in range.

As for the cake, some people find it easier to not have any so that they don't get a taste for it, but others like to not miss out so have a tiny portion eg a spoonful.

Order your test strips in good time and then the pharmacy will be able to get them in for you if they've run out. Or if that pharmacy is unreliable/slow/often has things out of stock, use another one.

I ate 4 different slices of meat, cauliflower cheese, sprouts, broccoli, carrots, roast potatoes, 4 stuffing balls, 2 chipolata sausages and 2 yorkshire puds topped with onion gravy. I asked one of my sister's friend if we could share a dessert as he is diabetic, but he declined.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I ate 4 different slices of meat, cauliflower cheese, sprouts, broccoli, carrots, roast potatoes, 4 stuffing balls, 2 chipolata sausages and 2 yorkshire puds topped with onion gravy. I asked one of my sister's friend if we could share a dessert as he is diabetic, but he declined.

Sensible friend. :)

There is no point in saying that meal has harmed you because you already know that. You could have done without the potatoes, stuffing, sausages, yorkshires, and just have a dribble of the gravy and piled on the veggies. (and asked for some butter)

Have you got your test strips yet?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Carvery is my favourite meal out but I skip potatoes of any sort and the yorkshires and bread based stuffing. I just have lots of meat and a big plateful of veg. Definitely no dessert. The combination of meat and veg has very little impact on my BG.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

And how many carbs did you estimate that contained? Did you adjust your bolus dose? If not, how many grams of carbs does your set bolus cover?

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sensible friend. :)

There is no point in saying that meal has harmed you because you already know that. You could have done without the potatoes, stuffing, sausages, yorkshires, and just have a dribble of the gravy and piled on the veggies. (and asked for some butter)

Have you got your test strips yet?

My sister's friend is not so sensible he had a giant chocolate eclair all to himself and then took another cake away with him when he left. Yes I could have done without the potatoes, stuffing and Yorkshire's. But then it wouldn't have been a proper carvery.

Yes I've got my test strips.

And how many carbs did you estimate that contained? Did you adjust your bolus dose? If not, how many grams of carbs does your set bolus cover?

I would estimate about 30 or 40 grams. No I didn't adjust my Novorapid, I just took my set 10 units and I don't know how many grams of carbs my doses cover.

My tea for tonight is 2 slices of pizza with extra cheese.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know how many roast potatoes you had, but I would imagine your carb estimate is too low. A small roast potato alone is around 20g carbs.

A carvery is what you make it. There's plenty to choose from so you can adjust your plate to suit you and your needs. As I said, you can still have some carby things so you wouldn't miss out.

I'm not sure why you mentioned your pizza, but, again, it would be sensible to limit the carbs and fill up on 'free' foods like veg and salad.

You should know how many carbs your bolus covers. That way you can control your BS more easily. You could ask your nurse or work it out yourself roughly.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
feel so angry right now at them, they are just not listening to me.
I quote from your first post on this thread. I too feel pretty upset that you aren't listening to us.

But then it wouldn't have been a proper carvery.
Does that really matter? A carvery is absolutely the best place to eat because there is so much low carb stuff to choose from, yet still you choose the high carb foods and don't realise/care that if you do this then you need to bolus for them.

Honestly akindrat I give up. I don't think you are taking your diabetes seriously.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no idea how many carbs my novorapid covers, just that I inject 10 units with every meal as per the request of my DSN.

I'm still waiting for a phone call back from my DSN to get my doses altered as I've left her a message as I've been having high readings in the morning and evening with some normal readings throughout the day.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no idea how many carbs my novorapid covers, just that I inject 10 units with every meal as per the request of my DSN.

I'm still waiting for a phone call back from my DSN to get my doses altered as I've left her a message as I've been having high readings in the morning and evening with some normal readings throughout the day.

I recall you were offered lots of advice on carb counting and the importance of either adjusting your insulin to match the carbs you are eating or ensuring the carbs you eat match your fixed doses of novorapid in this thread, from about 6 weeks ago - http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/hungry-and-thirsty-through-the-night.119655/ - maybe it would be worth reviewing that advice again.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@akindrat18

Its YOUR diabetes, not your DN's or your parents or anybody else's. You really do need to get a grip on your diabetes as all the while your are having high tests you are potentially damaging your body. Don't say you can't because most of us on this forum have managed to do it. I've read that other people have done on-line carb counting courses - or, of course, you could just keep cutting back on your carbs until you get normal test results all the time.

I am a type 2 and I used to inject insulin so I know what you're going through and its easier to get control of your diabetes with support but you CAN do it by yourself if you put your mind to it. You really do need to stop relying and/or blaming everyone else.

Reactions: zand

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
I am staggered by how much advice you have received over the years on this forum and I wonder why you choose not to follow it.

This disease is yours to control - not someone elses. Please start taking it seriously and begin to help yourself before it is too late. Many of us make the effort and often succeed to a high degree thanks to forum. Many users have offered you lots of advice, please stop throwing that advice away.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find stories like that motivational. Virta Health is making good progress shows that it is possible to turn T2D around...
@akindrat18 hope you will be able to overcome your obstacles and get back on track.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I know it's my diabetes, my health on the line. Today I finally got my blood sugars out from the twenties, into the low teens and felt like **** all day long. I really want to improve my blood sugar control and break my carb addiction, I just find it impossible to resist temptation when I have to do the shopping for the family and buy junk food.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You know, I have a husband that used to eat junk food while I was low carbing - I said that I would get in food that both of us could eat but that I wouldn't buy anything that one of us couldn't and everything I can eat he of course can eat. Which meant I didn't buy junk food. After a while he (a slim non-diabetic) decided my food was so nice that he now eats low carb with me.

How about every time you are tempted to eat junk you test your blood sugars?

As for feeling rubbish, that is because your body is used to running with high sugars. It will take time for it to get used to reducing numbers.

I am not being nasty - just concerned. I know how high numbers cause diabetic complications and often much quicker than you would imagine. And, by the way, you aren't alone. There was a time when I had a fairly long period of 'diabetes denial' - when I finally had enough of feeling rubbish and did a test my meter wouldn't go high enough to test my blood - it just said HI - when my DN tested on a different meter it was above 34. Nowadays - with self control - I manage to keep it around the 4.5 to 6.5 level and I'm feeling much, much better.

Take the advice everyone is giving you. If in doubt that a low carb diet is right for you then google diabetes complications and look at the pictures of people who have lost their sight or toes / limbs.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You know, I have a husband that used to eat junk food while I was low carbing - I said that I would get in food that both of us could eat but that I wouldn't buy anything that one of us couldn't and everything I can eat he of course can eat. Which meant I didn't buy junk food. After a while he (a slim non-diabetic) decided my food was so nice that he now eats low carb with me.

How about every time you are tempted to eat junk you test your blood sugars?

As for feeling rubbish, that is because your body is used to running with high sugars. It will take time for it to get used to reducing numbers.

I am not being nasty - just concerned. I know how high numbers cause diabetic complications and often much quicker than you would imagine. And, by the way, you aren't alone. There was a time when I had a fairly long period of 'diabetes denial' - when I finally had enough of feeling rubbish and did a test my meter wouldn't go high enough to test my blood - it just said HI - when my DN tested on a different meter it was above 34. Nowadays - with self control - I manage to keep it around the 4.5 to 6.5 level and I'm feeling much, much better.

Take the advice everyone is giving you. If in doubt that a low carb diet is right for you then google diabetes complications and look at the pictures of people who have lost their sight or toes / limbs.

The only thing my parents enjoy to snack on is cheese, and we eat a lot of it. Sometimes we do a cheese board with crackers, sliced meats, pork pies and pickles. Most of the time they like sweet snacks and I find it difficult to resist.

Today has been difficult as my mum bought home some Twinkies from a American sweet shop in town, she offered me one and I said no as I looked at the carb value and they were 50g each.

I've been doing well with my blood sugar control, by not eating as many carbs as I usually do. I've been having a big mug of coffee with cream for breakfast and a Subway salad for lunch with all the salad veg for the past two days. As for my evening meals I've had a bacon and cheese burger, minus the chips and beans on Thursday and steak with fried red onion, mushrooms and peas, minus the chips and garlic bread last night (my dad had my leftovers).