Gliclazide ??

cloverly

Hiya, :wink:
I've had type 2 diabetes for 5 yrs now and originally took metformin but got bad side effects so was put on the slow release metformin. I've suffered with IBS for about the same amount of time and have been suffering really bad, i cant remember the last time i didnt have to "run" to the loo so i done an experiment.....i know i shouldnt of as i took myself off the metformin and suprise surprise i had no Diarrhea all the time i stopped the metformin so i spoke to my GP today and he has now put me on GLICLAZIDE.......
Is anyone else on this and if so has it been effective? without the horrible side effects
ANY INFO IS APPRECIATED
Laura xXx

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Here is a link to the Forum information about Gliclazide which is in Diabetes Medication and Drugs section.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12144#p112417

You will find many Diabetic's on Gliclazide as it is very effective at lowering BG levels especially when combined with lifestyle changes, diet etc. I was on the max dose for a while and it lowered my Bg levels but had the side effect of making me put on weight. After a concerted effort to lose weight and the help of another drug, Byetta, I managed to lose over 5 1/2 stone, and now take no Gliclazide at all, just a couple of Metformin in the morning plus Byetta twice daily. The side effects are not mandatory, not everybody gets them. I got none at all. Just me....... :)

Ken

cloverly

Oh dear...weight gain :(
I hope i dont gain weight as i cant afford to, i think i'd rather have the poops daily on metformin than gain weight :(

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Yep.....Met did have some advantages. :wink:

Ken

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's strange that people go from Met, to Glic (I did - because of the side-effects of met). They are 2 completely different drugs:

Metformin is an insulin sensitiser (if anything, this will make you lose weight)
Gliclazide stimulates the pancreas to create MORE insulin (unavoidably causing weight gain).

Strange that they would take anybody off one, and onto the other...

PickledPepper

Patch this goes back to testing (on the doctors side).

We are told we have diabetes but the medical people don't seem to have a clue about the way in which we are effected. Is it our insulin receptors up the spout of our pancreas (or both).

HBA1C seems to be quite a blunt instrument.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on both - 500g of met and 80g of Glic twice a day - you do not automatically put on weight because of Glic - I have lost 7st whilst taking it - it can give you an increased appetite though so you have to watch your portions - some people do gain weight on it but other don't - I am one of the lucky one I suppose

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I take both full dose Metformin SR and 4 x 80mg Gliclazide per day. I'm one of the lucky ones and my weight has been very stable with Gliclazide. Although it has helped a bit with my BS, I think the reason I haven't put on weight is that it hasn't helped my pancreas produce much more insulin hence I haven't been near a hypo. Other people will see different effects. Fortunately neither of these tablets has had any effect whatsoever on my bowels which is great. Good luck with your use of Gliclazide.

cloverly

I was only taken off the metformin coz of chronic diarreah. I have noticed a increase in my appetite but am trying to curb the cravings lol.
Does anyone else suffer any side effects from glic?

mimo

Hi there,
Interesting to read all your comments. Am on slow release met and glic. Diagnosed with type 2 just over 2 months ago. I have had bad cramps with the met (and dashes to to the toilet!!) Was advised to stick with them though and now much better. So far havent had any side effects from the glic.
GP suggested though that once BM comes down I might be able to just take the met and drop the glic. Fingers crossed!!
So glad that I found this site as really nice to be able to read peoples experiences. Especially as a newbie >:O)