Drink Hypo Treatment

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have used a variety of liquid hypo treatments - my favourite is juice boxes (anywhere between 15 and 30g carbs), Just Juice has lots of great options around 15-20g, Ribena is almost 30g for bad hypos, Golden Circle has a bunch of 20-30g juices that I use sometimes. I also like small cans of soft drink (usually around 20g) - lemonade, Fanta/Sunkist, and occasionally Coke. I personally hate the taste of glucogel and other products targeted specifically at hypo treatments.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Chocolate milk is my go to for hypos or when I am delayed eating regular meals after taking my glucose lowering medications-if this not available then Pepsi cola or Coke. I have also used Hersey's milk chocolate bar with almonds. I tend to over correct and so the protein of milk or almonds helps smooth out my glucose reactions so I do not rollercoaster.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @SWUSA_ Drinking milk based products will mean that the fat would delay the reaction time of the glucose taking effect, it's much better to drink a straight sugar drink to get glucose levels back up as quickly as possible, orange juice or coke are the only drinks I use when trying to get my BG levels up quickly, but as a rule of thumb I prefer 3 jelly babies to do the job :)

Reactions: CJOtter

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry its not good but i just love full fat milk , with sugar if desperate, its my breakfast too

Reactions: Crystalwand

Balls101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What do you all use as your go to drink hypo treatment? I've always used lucozade but after they've recently changed their recipe to have less sugar it doesn't taste the same and I'm forced to look for an alternative but I'm not sure what sort of thing to go for. Just looking for some hypo recommendations from all of you really.
I've been using Lucozade since diagnosed in 1978. I'm scunnered by this sugar tax. I'm looking into starting a petition.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I found a quicker way ribeana as it contains 28 grams of sugar and it takes a small sip to bring your sugars up as the dsn told me as lucozade and coke are reducing the sugar in them and I have checked and coca cola are reducing sugars in all there pop so that they don't fall fowl of the sugar tax which is a waste of money and time especially if kids are going to eat and drink a lot of sugar and they don't care about it, it's us who suffer in the long run as normal

Reactions: Dodo

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Got to try my glucose gel for real today.
Verdict: works great, but, yuuucckhhhcccchhh!!

Supposedly was 'tropical fruit' flavoured.. tastes just like 'berry' cough syrup does - neither like berries or tropical - and highly likely to make me vomit if I had felt any worse than I did already.

smcc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I drink Asda isotonic sports dinks in the gym(32G glucose in 500ml) and only costs 40p. Always have some bottles in the car.

CathytheChef

I was drinking orange juice for a while but decided it was too acidic and was upsetting my tummy, so now I'm back to the good old (not very delicious!) glucose tablets - I know they suck but they do what you need them to I guess. I try to stay away from fizzy drinks (take too long to drink) and artificial flavours etc.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Hi @SWUSA_ Drinking milk based products will mean that the fat would delay the reaction time of the glucose taking effect, it's much better to drink a straight sugar drink to get glucose levels back up as quickly as possible, orange juice or coke are the only drinks I use when trying to get my BG levels up quickly, but as a rule of thumb I prefer 3 jelly babies to do the job :)
Thank you-my lows are usually in the 70 to 87mg/dl and very rare-chocolate milk does the trick for me, but just eating would probably work as well as I just take metformin and lantus once a day. I have type 2. I do always keep candy within reach just in case though ; )

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apple juice. Works as well as any of the diabetes pimped products. Cheap.

Danpope4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
High blood suagrs, slow walkers and vegetables.
Recently I've swapped to cans of Sanpellegrino and Orangina plenty of sugars and Carbs in both which get to work quickly.

Mark-optimistic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I find the orange juice boxes from Aldi to be very useful as they sort my blood sugar out and are very cost effective. Being only 40p for 3 juice boxes. Hope this helped.

CJOtter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have started using the tiny packets of haribos. They are around 12 grams of carb. They're not good for overnight though as I tend to not be able to stop at one when tired and hypo!

I tend to avoid proper fruit juices as they are low GI (especially apple) so don't work so fast and encourage me to over shoot.

Reactions: Crystalwand