Blurry vision

Allessandra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone

A little background info : I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 2 weeks ago now. After feeling particularly unwell I had the HBA1C test which came back at 96 and my blood/sugar was 28 - not good. My eyes had become blurry but after a week of very very low carb and sugar they got worse - after a bit of research online it seems it could be as a result of going from a very high carb/sugar diet to the opposite end of the spectrum. Does anyone else have experience with this?

I am hoping that once the blood/sugar settles down my vision will come back to normal. For the past week my blood/sugar has been in from 5.4 - 7.8 depending on the time of the day etc so it would seem I am on the right track and I have to say I feel a lot better ... it's just the eyesight that is bothering me.

I visited my optometrist last week who after checking my eyesight said that I had not done any lasting damage, that I was no longer short sighted (I used to wear glasses to watch TV) but am now long sighted. He doesn't believe the blurry vision will right itself but I am hoping others have shared a similar experience 'cause I would hate to have this problem for the rest of my life!

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:

cireland

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They should settle down. Well at least mine did, my vision went blurry after about 2 weeks of taking Metformin took about a couple of weeks to settle down but it went back to being absolutely normal after. I also had my diabetic eye test done about 3 months after being diagnosed (so Jan this year) and I was told my eyes were in perfect health..

Allessandra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brilliant! That gives me hope - I didn't realise that could be a Metformin side effect. Thanks for the response.

kiwifrank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, Arrogance and warm beer
Yes I had in the beginning and very occasionally still do however iam going to get a retinal scan done in a few weeks and will know more then, make use of this forum, most informative and helpful.
Brilliant! That gives me hope - I didn't realise that could be a Metformin side effect. Thanks for the response.

Allessandra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks - I am really glad that I found this forum. There is a ton of information here. I will sit a spell :)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes .. I also had the blurry vision when my sugars were high, I reduced the carbs slowly and my vision slowly returned to normal .. I expect as your reduced quickly it will need a little time to catch up.

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
Mine has settle down now and was really quite scary xxxxx

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Me, too. Mine took about two months to come back to 'normal' after I started a low carb way of eating. What was interesting is that mine went back to better than my previous normal and I no longer glasses to watch TV that I've needed for the last 38 years.

Reactions: Benita_

Rick1318

My vision had always been blurry before being diagnosed and I always thought it was because my prescription wasn't strong enough anymore. It would get especially bad at night (I realize now its probably after a day of high-carbing). After dx and cutting carbs, my vision immediately got better and stayed good throughout the day. However a week after that, my vision got worse again lol...it would be good in the morning and slowly deteroriate over the day. My sugars can fluctuate wildly during this period between 4.5-10. I'm just hoping it will stabilise eventually. Needless to say I feel like **** right now lol

Allessandra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fingers crossed. I got such a shock at the diagnosis that I immediately went into freak out mode and just stopped with carbs and sugar which was probably not the right thing to do. Thanks for your response. :)

Allessandra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My vision had always been blurry before being diagnosed and I always thought it was because my prescription wasn't strong enough anymore. It would get especially bad at night (I realize now its probably after a day of high-carbing). After dx and cutting carbs, my vision immediately got better and stayed good throughout the day. However a week after that, my vision got worse again lol...it would be good in the morning and slowly deteroriate over the day. My sugars can fluctuate wildly during this period between 4.5-10. I'm just hoping it will stabilise eventually. Needless to say I feel like **** right now lol

It IS odd isn't it? My optometrist was surprised to find I am no longer long sighted which I have been for years - he puts it down to the Diabetes. Weird. My b/s hovers around the 5.5 mark consistently now so I hope my body rewards me by giving me eyes back. :)

Allessandra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Me, too. Mine took about two months to come back to 'normal' after I started a low carb way of eating. What was interesting is that mine went back to better than my previous normal and I no longer glasses to watch TV that I've needed for the last 38 years.

Mine also stopped being short sighted and now very long sighted. All I know is that it is terribly frustrating! You don't know what you have lost until its too late eh?

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My bg is back in the normal range but annoyingly my eyesight has not returned to normal and now need reading glasses.

Reactions: Allessandra

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
some sight decay is not diabetes related, I am very long sighted now and it hasn´t changed since getting numbers down... just think it my curse of age :cool:

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before diagnosis, I had days where I thought my eyes were really tired at the end of the day. Focus was not good. Then I was diagnosed (after my yearly eye test) and started low carb. I had a few weeks where my vision was all over the place but it's settled down and I'm using the glasses I did some time ago. So give it a while to settle down and it may go back to similar to where you were before you reduced your BG.

I had my screening yesterday, and while there's some evidence of diabetic changes because I must have been high BG for a while, I'm hoping things don't get any worse. At least they confirmed my sight is still excellent in spite of the damage.

Allessandra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before diagnosis, I had days where I thought my eyes were really tired at the end of the day. Focus was not good. Then I was diagnosed (after my yearly eye test) and started low carb. I had a few weeks where my vision was all over the place but it's settled down and I'm using the glasses I did some time ago. So give it a while to settle down and it may go back to similar to where you were before you reduced your BG.

I had my screening yesterday, and while there's some evidence of diabetic changes because I must have been high BG for a while, I'm hoping things don't get any worse. At least they confirmed my sight is still excellent in spite of the damage.

Thanks for your response. If only I didn't have all the patience of running water. :)

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Becoming more short-sighted is often a sign of elevated blood sugar level, but not often picked up as such even by optometrists.

Normal effect on sugar levels declining is to become more long sighted. Typically this lasts 6-8 weeks before rectifying itself. During that period it is normal to need correction, which might as well be from cheap reading glasses as it won't be stable.

Most people return more or less to the eyesight they had before. Some do have a greater change though.

Reactions: Allessandra

Ian-J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi,
Around the time I was diagnosed (Nov. '16) my prescription changed........I am short sighted and need glasses to watch Tv and use computer etc. All of a sudden I could use the computer without glasses and the glasses I used for computer work that were no use for distance I could see miles with.....and the distance glasses were blurred.
Once I got off the sugar my eyes started to return to normal. End to end it was a 2 week rollercoaster. My eyes are now back to where they were prior to all this.
The ironic thing is I preferred my eyesight the way it was during that 2 weeks.......no glasses for computer work.....brilliant!
Ian.

daffadam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey I was recently diagnosed and when I came out of hospital I had the same experience.
But after about 3-4weeks my eyesight went back to normal.

It's quite a shock at first cause it such a tangible thing when you notice your eyesight is not right.

But fear not it will go back to normal, mine took about 2-3 weeks. I had to use reading glasses cause it was that bad then suddenly one day (when my levels were more stable) my eyesight went back to normal.

Kph103

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Me too.
One of my early symptoms was blurred distant vision. Just woke up one morning with it. Couldn't watch telly without sitting close. My close eyesight improved dramatically and I didn't wear glasses for a few weeks.
But it does come back. My vision is back to normal, took 4/5 weeks but it does recover.