Help i think i've made a mistake

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

Just wondering if theres someone who can advise me, i got my insulin pump medtronic veo yesterday (friday) and am still getting used to it. i done a sugar test earlier that was quiet high at 13 so i done a correction to bring it back to target, i then done another test about 9.30pm and it was 6.6 i felt abit hungry so i decided to weigh out a small bowl of cereal i done my food intake on my pump along with what i thought was my BG 6.6 and put in the insulin went in that i needed to cover me for the cereal 2.2 units. I then doubled checked my intake and realised that i forgot to set the 6.6 reading in and it was showing my last reading of 13 so i have just put to much insulin in for what i have eaten, i have reduced my basal by 60% and have eaten a small kit-kat because i don't want to go hypo, it happened last night because it was all new to me i got abit confussedmand woke up at 1am done a BG and it was 3.3 so i had some biscuits which luckly brought my level back up and this morning my level was 4.4. I know it gonna take me a while to get used to it i keep looking through the manual. If theres anyone who can advise me please.

Tracey167

Alzibiff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tracey,
Rules of thumb....
Insulin delivered by your pump acts for around 5 hours - that is, will have an effect on your BG for around 5 hours, most effect at around 2.5 hours but 5 hours nevertheless.

How long your carbs act for varies according to which food we are talking about and what else was taken at the same time. Active time from around 1 hour to 5 hours.

Biscuits are bobbins for use in a hypo situation - go for pure fruit juice, Lucozade or Jelly Babies - the latter being my personal favourite, 5g of fast acting glucose per 'baby'.

Breakfast cereals - the main ones - Cornflakes, Rice Krispies and the like peak (for me) at around 1.5 hours - big spike.

My only advice is to "read the book", don't panic and try to make rational decisions on what you have been taught by your pump providing folk. Test every hour or so but don't panic.

Have you got the bolus wizard set up? If so, you should be able to see the amount of "active" insulin in your system. My recommendation is that you set up the bolus wizard as soon as you feel competent to do so and be prepared to adjust settings as you get used to your pump.

Hope this is of some help - difficult via Forum posts really - nothing in real time. PM sent.

Alan

jopar

I've got a different pump to yours and mine hasn't got a wizard to it (got to do the number crunching in my head :cry: )

But I think if you put in your BG in it should give you the carbs you need to sort out your BG or perhaps some guidence?

But you've done well, as that would have been my reaction, eat some carbs and a TBR.. Just take some extra BG's to keep an eye on things so that you don't go too low or too high..

ruralweb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you have the Bauer meter with the pump then you can set it up to transmit the bg level to the pump as soon as it's done and so help avoid the incorrect reading being used.