Self-testing - how do I dispose of sharps bin?

Sue@kemsing

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed as Type 2 about four years ago and apart from one blip have largely kept things on an even keel. Against my GP's advice, I self-test pretty regularly, having bought the test strips, lancets etc from this site, and find it very helpful in managing the condition. I also bought a sharps bin for the used lancets and test strips,which is now full. The problem I have is that the local council operate a clinical waste collection but only if the GP has certified that you should be self-testing. I can't see my GP doing this so I am in a bit of a quandary as to what to do with the full bin. Any suggestions, folks?

GeorgeWBaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sue,
I would speak to your local pharmacist, I'm sure they would dispose of it for you.

I'm not 92, I'm an 18 year old with 74 years experience.

D

Deleted Account

My pharmacy will not take sharps.

The advice I was given when first diagnosed was to put my sharps in a plastic drinks container and put it out with the rubbish. I agree this is not great advice but if you return the cap to your lancets (the plastic bit that you pulled off) and put it in a thick bottle with a sealed lid (I actually found a washing liquid bottle was thicker than a water bottle), the risk is low.

Another option is to use the FastClix lancets. These require a dedicated stabber which comes with many Accu-check meters. I got my last one from the free meter diabetes.co.uk offered last year.
The FastClix lancets come in a barrel of 6 spikes which are only extended when you press the button and you cannot get at them once they are used. This means, the risk associated with disposing of sharps is significantly reduced. And you don't have to carry a stash of lancets around with you.
I am not sure how the price rates compared to the traditional ones. But when comparing, remember that FastClix give you 6 lancets per barrel.

Sue@kemsing

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My pharmacy will not take sharps.

The advice I was given when first diagnosed was to put my sharps in a plastic drinks container and put it out with the rubbish. I agree this is not great advice but if you return the cap to your lancets (the plastic bit that you pulled off) and put it in a thick bottle with a sealed lid (I actually found a washing liquid bottle was thicker than a water bottle), the risk is low.

Another option is to use the FastClix lancets. These require a dedicated stabber which comes with many Accu-check meters. I got my last one from the free meter diabetes.co.uk offered last year.
The FastClix lancets come in a barrel of 6 spikes which are only extended when you press the button and you cannot get at them once they are used. This means, the risk associated with disposing of sharps is significantly reduced. And you don't have to carry a stash of lancets around with you.
I am not sure how the price rates compared to the traditional ones. But when comparing, remember that FastClix give you 6 lancets per barrel.
Thanks, Helen - that's helpful.