What can I do to prevent weight loss??

ConnorLF10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have type 1 diabetes. I've recent been unwell with my diabetes and have lost around 18 pounds any advice would be a great help. Thanks

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @ConnorLF10 - the first question is really, how are your blood glucose levels? That's going to be the key driver in stopping weight loss.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes of course

Done :)

When you say you've been unwell with your diabetes, do you mean you've had high sugars or simply that you've been ill on top of having Type 1?

I find the best way to put on weight is to eat more carbs on a consistent basis day after day, and to eat more calories as well as controlling my blood sugar. Something like MyFitnessPal is very good for logging food as you can then see if you've achieved your calorie and carbs targets each day :)

ConnorLF10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Due to high blood sugars I'm currently waiting for funding to be moved over to the insulin pump to try help resolve this

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are your sugars always high or are you having issues at certain times of the day eg overnight or first thing in the morning?

ConnorLF10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's all round at the moment I've increased the amount of times I monitor my blood and I am hypoing frequently at work also waking up high

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ConnorLF10 youre loosing weight because your sugars are high. What are you doing on mdi to address this?

If you're waking up high you might want to do some overnight basal testing. Or if your basal is working right you might need to consider your dinner time I:C ratio (these are things you would need to be on top of when commencing pumping).

If you're hypoing in the day is this in relation to morning corrections? If so you would need to consider your correction factor. Or is it increased activity at work? Then you might need to consider reducing your i:c ratio to reflect/anticipate activity or doing some work basal tests to see if you need a differentbbasal dosage for work days (that'll only work on levemir, but will be an option for pump).

Reactions: Freema

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's all round at the moment I've increased the amount of times I monitor my blood and I am hypoing frequently at work also waking up high

Ok - that must be frustrating for you, as well as making you feel rough.

Do you have the Type 1 'bible', Think Like A Pancreas? It's a fantastic book for Type 1s and very popular here.

Have you done a basal test? What basal insulin do you take and when? Getting the basal right is the foundation of good control. Once you've got that ok, you can then gradually look at your meal time ratios.

I'm presuming you're counting carbs - are you?

Mark-optimistic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

I found that when I was first diagnosed I was very skinny due to the side effects of prolonged high blood sugar.

Gradually over time with proper use of my insulin I am at a more stable healthy weight. If anything I kind of miss being skinny.

I think speaking to your DNS and your dietician is important if your worried about your weight. They will put you on the right diet plan and make sure your BS are as stable as possible in order to have a normal weight.

Hope this helped and keep smiling friend.

Reactions: Nickglanf

ConnorLF10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I ended up in the hospital overnight 2 weeks ago due to high blood sugars, over the last two weeks I'm steadily getting control of my levels. Downside is that no matter what level I am under 15 I feel borderline hypo and this is throughout the day I'm struggling at work almost got relieved the other day due to sickness.

Getting really stressed about everything right now I'm just looking for advice thanks

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Have you bought the book "think like a pancreas?"

Have you basal tested?

Are you sure all your meal rates are 1 to 10g? Or was that set by hospital?

Do you follow sick day rules for when levels are high? (Even if you dont feel sick?)

Reactions: Nickglanf

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I ended up in the hospital overnight 2 weeks ago due to high blood sugars, over the last two weeks I'm steadily getting control of my levels. Downside is that no matter what level I am under 15 I feel borderline hypo and this is throughout the day I'm struggling at work almost got relieved the other day due to sickness.

Getting really stressed about everything right now I'm just looking for advice thanks

How long have you been diagnosed? If you're newly diagnosed you should be getting support from your DSN. They should still be able to offer some support if you have been long diagnosed but had hospitalisation with hypers recently

When you said you are
hypoing frequently at work
are you actually going hypo (do you test and see below 4) or are they false hypos?

If you're used to running so high you feel hypo in double figures you need to gradually bring yourself down to target.

ConnorLF10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How long have you been diagnosed? If you're newly diagnosed you should be getting support from your DSN. They should still be able to offer some support if you have been long diagnosed but had hospitalisation with hypers recently

When you said you are

are you actually going hypo (do you test and see below 4) or are they false hypos?

If you're used to running so high you feel hypo in double figures you need to gradually bring yourself down to target.

I have been diagnosed 11 years and yes the hypos are 3.6 3.4 etc nothing to bad but with work it is demanding in the last 7 days I've had 6 hypos. Hopefully I get funded for the insulin pump then I can manage it a lot better I have used it before and hb1c was

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you know what caused the high blood sugar to send you to hospital? Were you in DKA? How was that treated? That can throw you basal rates and ratios off, so it would be worth starting from scratch with some basal testing, and then when you're confident your basal dosage is right reassessing your I:C ratio and correction factor.

Here's a guide on how to basal test - https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been diagnosed 11 years and yes the hypos are 3.6 3.4 etc nothing to bad but with work it is demanding in the last 7 days I've had 6 hypos. Hopefully I get funded for the insulin pump then I can manage it a lot better I have used it before and hb1c was

Have you found any pattern to the hypos at work?