Meals for Hols

Grannie75

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been saving and at long last have booked a 2 week cruise to the Northern Lights and the fjords of Norway ( I am 75 and if I don't do it now I doubt I ever will) I am sure that on board I will be able to arrange diabetic meals but probably not LCHF.
Do you think 2 weeks of just diabetic meals will spoil the Ketosis I am in and do you think it will take long to get back into again when I return.
I have now lost 2 stones ( 2 more to go) so as the cruise is not until mid Feb I hope to get rid of another stone by then so really don't want to spoil my hard work. I am there for the beautiful scenery etc and not so much for the food which is just a necessity.
How do you all get on on full board hols?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Most cruises I've been on have loads of veggie and protein options. I stick with those as close as I can. Carbs make me feel like rubbish so no enjoyment there anyway

You will most likely come out of ketosis if you eat carbs but should be able to get back in once you fat home. Still might take a week or so. Our bodies will always burn carbs first spo once home you'll need to deplete your glycogen stores by low carbing.
Have a wonderful holiday!!! Enjoy the scenery!!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I stayed in a hotel I had no trouble in getting meals which were low carb. There was a variety of different options available at every meal, the only disappointment was the desserts in the evening, which were horribly over sweetened. Everything was either in syrup or sugar sprinkled or had cake involved.
I had the fruit salad and dipped the pieces into a glass of water to wash off the syrup. I still lost a couple of pounds so it wasn't that bad.

Reactions: Ultramum

Phdpaul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tend to have a breakfast based 'round eggs and/or cold meats or cheese.

I skip lunch and have a bullet proof coffee twice a day and plenty of water (I take a large jar of coconut oil and a milk frother with me). I also drink plenty of water throughout the day.

Dinner is largely meat or fish based and a low carb veg or salad garnish. Sauce is always asked for on the side to use as a dipper. A couple glasses of red wine completes the holiday diet!

Grannie75

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks, I think the breakfast will be reasonably easy although at the moment I don't eat until lunchtime but for 2 weeks I think I can get away with early eating. I will have to pick and choose and try to avoid all the extra sauces etc. The brochure shows trays of cakes, sandwiches and fancy foods that makes me spike just looking at the pictures.
I think I will request a diabetic diet and choose the foods that will do the least harm.
Whatever happens I haven't had a holiday since 2004 with my husband, 6 months before he unexpectedly died, so I am determined to enjoy this one whatever happens. Thank goodness for Saga singles holidays !!!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just don't over kill and enjoy. It's a blip in the big picture as long as it doesn't make you feel bad. Gotta live life once I awhile

Enjoy!!

Sue81

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Not too sure on Saga but usually one of the restaurants is self serve particularly at breakfast and lunch so you should be able to make low carb choices.
I am a Disney fan and have been on a few of their cruises and although I probably eat too much protein the meals aren't massively carb heavy if you are careful with/avoid dessert.

wilkimo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am a regular cruiser and on a LCHF diet and I have never encountered a problem.Just explain to the waiter and they will either give you a special menu to choose from or adapt each meal to your requirements. I always ask to have the same waiter for the entire cruise so you don't have to keep explaining. They are great so please don't worry.x

Reactions: Ultramum

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, do take the initiative and explain what you need to eat rather than hoping the "diabetic" food will be ok. It probably won't be much different, since it will still be carby. Self-service too can give you a good choice.

Grannie75

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all for your advice. I intend to be sensible but to still enjoy my hols, so the occasional treat I might allow. I know they serve afternoon tea and cakes ( oh **** !!!) perhaps I should avoid this event. But some Norwegian sweet delicacy I might just have to sample -what the hell, as Kristin251 said sometimes life is for living. When you get to my age you need to enjoy every day that you can......