A slight problem with 2hr testing

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A week or so ago we went out for a meal, I had beef, pulled pork, sweet potato chips, veg, followed by a desert of caramel icecream with double cream (yes I know). My two hour BG was 4.7! Cracked it, I thought. But not quite believing it, tested after three hours - 5.9. OK, not so good. Later I tested six hours after "first bite", 7.2. Perhaps the reliance on the two hour figures doesn't give the full picture. If we want complete control then, when eating something different, multiple tests are needed. Any thoughts?

ce81ar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Rustytypin, this is typical, as a meal such as you had with high levels of fat will take much longer to absorb the carbohydrate than normal. I am type 1, but the same principles apply, if I eat a meal high in fat then I need to have a delayed bolus otherwise I have a hypo at 1-2hrs after the meal. I have found when eating pizza that my blood sugars peak after 4-6 hours.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have noticed in the past that sweet potatoes are slow release for me, it's just that there is an insistance on testing at two hours as being the "thing". My main point is that it maybe doesn't give the whole picture.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
have found when eating pizza that my blood sugars peak after 4-6 hours.
And that't why they call it the pizza effect as has been said the fats slow down the absorption of the carbs I have found I sometimes get a peak then a drop then a rise to another peak. And your levels can stay high for hours before coming back to normal..

The two hour thing I think stems from the the idea that a non diabetic's bloods would drop down to normal levels in that period in the normal course of events.

But it is not set in stone you test when and how often you feel you need to.

Reactions: HelenHak