My Partner Doesn't Get It!!

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@bluelybell I am glad you are going to find out more about low carb. The low carb section on here is excellent . There are recipes and there is a thread where you can put your food diary for the day. I find reading this gives me ideas for meals. Myfitnesspal is excellent for tracking your carb and calories intake. The diabeticgoodbaking.com is full of brilliant recipes too.

Reactions: bluelybell

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
There is generally a "feeder" in a household. That "feeder" is the main influence on food bought and ate...

Depends how much you want to "feed" yourself or expect influences from others..

I put money on it that if you said nothing but jyst introduced slower changes in eating patterns etc that partner wouldnt even notice.

bluelybell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @mo53, I have only been doing it for about a week, been on holiday for a lot of the week which was great but interesting on the food front. My main problem atm seems to be feeling full and sort of empty all at the same time, horrible feeling , I'm trying to drink more water but doesn't seem to help, and sometimes makes me feel queasy.

Is the not being satisfied a thing that will pass? Or am I still not getting sufficient fat?

I'm wondering whether I need a 'mini-meal' in the afternoon... idk.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @mo53, I have only been doing it for about a week, been on holiday for a lot of the week which was great but interesting on the food front. My main problem atm seems to be feeling full and sort of empty all at the same time, horrible feeling , I'm trying to drink more water but doesn't seem to help, and sometimes makes me feel queasy.

Is the not being satisfied a thing that will pass? Or am I still not getting sufficient fat?

I'm wondering whether I need a 'mini-meal' in the afternoon... idk.
If you're still taking the metformin that could be the cause of your gastric issues. I was tied to the loo for the three weeks I took it. I stopped taking it and those problems went away quickly.

Highlander1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My partner has got the opinion that i shouldn't be thinking of testing, carb counting and that I should be just sitting back and taking my increased dose of metformin and just 'do exactly what the dr says' and basically carry on eating just the way I have been which hasn't been the best and to keep taking the medicine. I really don't want to especially having read about how you guys are making lchf work.

He's worried that because I haven't talked to the dr about my diet changes, lower carbs, and the prospect of testing my bg, that I am therefore going against medical advice and that instead ive been talking to you guys and getting advice from a 'non qualified source' and the 'internet' that I am somehow going to do myself serious harm.

Don't get me wrong I am concerned that I'm not going to be able to stick to this but I have a meter on order, I have an app on my phone that will help track things and I have been thinking of menu ideas and I have this forum.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Bluelybell

Hi new to all this the advice given by GP is as given here change of lifestyle give up the carbs so I aim to do just that. Will see how it pans out. Cheers H

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Ian7128

I'm not sure about the precise relationship between quantity of fat and sense of satisfaction but I still need to prepare fairly large meals.

Even though I eat between 1500 and 1800 calories a day, all my meals are large. If I don't have a really big serving I just don't feel like I've eaten properly and then I then I start hunting for snacks.

Most of my meals are built on raw vegetables (with broccoli being the main staple) with a lot of meaty things in them. Bulk-wise my salad bowl is mostly full with raw carrot and broccoli then I add toppings which could include lentils, ham or chicken, nuts, olive oil, cheddar or parmesan cheese, artichoke hearts or some form of antipasto.

I realise normal people have smaller portions and that at some point in this process I'm going to need to learn portion control but for now that seems like a distant goal. The main thing is I feel satisfied but I'm eating mostly raw vegetables.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Hi Bluelybell, welcome, nice name) It is really hard getting relatives and partners on your side as diabetes is very difficult to understand for most. Cakes and ice cream will become a thing of the past and they will eventually repulse you but you will see the people close to you still gorging on them and eating what they want because they can, without a care in the world. As diabetics we have to care about ourselves, at the end of the day it is up to you to take control of your lifestyle but those close can actually feel left out, isolated and confused when you embrace the path, but it would be good for them to get on board with the LC diet but sadly, in my experience, it is like banging your head against a brick wall unless they are capable of the most important trait required in an understanding caring partner that really helps you as a diabetic... empathy. Hopefully time will help them come round to accept your new choices, lead by example they say;)

Last edited:
Reactions: bluelybell