Las Vegas Trip and Frio case...do i need one?

alf15

I'm heading to Vegas in September for 10 days. And im thinking do i need to buy one of the frio cases as it very hot over there.

I have no problem storaging the insulin in the fridge in/minibar in my room. But when i'm sitting by the pool/walking around outside should I really keep my novarapid in one of the small frio cases? Temp ranges from high 20's to mid 30's in september?

Any advice? Dont want to buy one if i dont really need to.

jane22

I have a Frio pouch and use it quite a bit. Mind you mine is for Byetta which needs to be under 25C. They don't cost all that much and it just stops me worrying about it. Even here in UK we have had some days when it has been over the 25 lately. I use it a lot abroad especially when I go out to dinner in hot weather.
Hope you have a great time.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Alf15 :)

No experience of insulin storage but I have travelled with other meds which need to be kept cool and found that it is always wise to have a back up plan at the very least since you just don't know what circumstances you may encounter.

Do go and watch the Bellagio fountains for me - they are just beautiful and easily the best Las Vegas has to offer! Night time with the fountains lit is even better than the daytime. 8)

We used the AA spiral guide to Las Vegas and another called Las Vegas for free which detailed all the things you could see - for free! :roll: :)

alf15

Thanks Jane & Synonym. Im going to buy a two pen on to be sure.

Synonym - I have been to Vegas two years ago, lovely place, the fountains are great! Its actually where I got diabetes lol. When I came back is when I starting getting all the tell tell signs of diabetes! :(

I'm threating myself with my two year diabetes anniversary lol! Hopefully when i come back this time my diabetes will go lol. (i wish)

Thanks for the advise

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've travelled a lot with Humalin I and Humalog (Central & South America, Morocco, all over Europe etc for up to 4.5 months in South America) and never bothered with a Frio pouch. Never stayed in rooms with fridges, either, although have often found fridges in cafes, restaurants, hotel / hostel kitchens etc where I can leave insulin (speaking Spanish in Latin America is vital for this!) I used a stainless steel thermos flask for main stock of insulin, and relied on shade / wrapping in bag to keep "daily" insulin cool.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I've travelled in many hot countries around the World and I would highly recommend a Frio.
Link:
http://www.friouk.com/buy/

They keep the Insulin/injectable meds at just the right temperature for daily use. I certainly wouldn't trust just leaving things in the 'shade'.....in Italy once it was over 35 deg C in the shade, even hotter when travelling outside. The insides of vehicles parked can get to oven temperatures quite quicly as well. I once had a Can of Coke in a glovebox explode whilst the car was parked in a shady spot in France in the height of the summer.

My meds would have been cooked if I had left them there. Not a great thing to happen whilst on your Holiday as the stuff would then almost certainly be compromised. Getting it replaced could then be a nightmare.

Get and use a Frio........you know it makes sense...... :wink:

Ken

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure that even a Frio would keep things cool enough if left in a car... I wouldn't leave any medication in a car even in the shade, but never use cars overseas, expect for hitching, so it's not really an issue for me.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I can assure you they do, obviously they wouln't if it was left for hours in full sun, however in a shady spot such as the boot the temp is less fierce. I have tried it. The Temp in my car was monitored electronically to see what the actual temp was. Wondeful item of equipment. That's been my experience anyway........try it and see. Many of our members swear by them in hot weather, you just have to make sure you use it according to the simple instructions. Each to there own I suppose.......

What temperature does the wallet maintain?
Insulin will begin to degrade at 30 °C
The wallets keep insulin cool between 18-26 °C depending on the climate which the wallet is exposed to. For example, if the wallet was in a constant climate temperature of 38.8 °C (100 °F) then the wallet will keep the insulin cool at 26 °C for a minimum of 45 hours.

Ken

jane22

I have just arrived in Turkey after a long and complicated journey involving planes, buses and ferry. It is over 40 here and quite honestly I think my frio struggled to keep my Byetta under 25C, I just hope it'll be OK for thr rest of the month. I can't replace the Byetta it as it is not sold here at all.