Retinal Screen Results

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had my first retinal screen on May19th just about a week after type 2 diagnosis. I was told the results would take six weeks, but the results came this morning!

"I am writing to inform you that your screening result appeared normal. This means that you are at very little risk of sight-threatening retinopathy at this time. "

Sooooooooo relieved!

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm pleased for you that your Retinal scan results have come back completely clear. That's certainly good news, and something that every diabetic hopes to hear.
I would mention to you that this simple test will check your eye condition for just a few basic possible diabetic conditions either developing or being present, and in NO way is this simple test as good as having a FULL eye examination at a qualified Optition, Optomitrist or at a NHS Eye Clinic.
As a diabetic you are also entitle to a free FULL eye examination by such qualified individuals as these, and I would always reccomend that you get your eyes tested at least once every 2 years. A full eye test at the Opticions, Optomitrists or NHS Eye Clinic will check your visual acruity, peripheral vision as well as the symptoms of several other things which are not covered in the mass diabetic Retinal Screening program, such as possible Glucoma or Macular disease.
It's nothing to overly concern yourself and worry about but it's always better to say safe, and besides as a diabetic you are also entitles to a free eye examination here in the UK.. We diabetics don't get much for nothing out of the NHS but the free eye examination is well worth having.

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm pleased for you that your Retinal scan results have come back completely clear. That's certainly good news, and something that every diabetic hopes to hear.
I would mention to you that this simple test will check your eye condition for just a few basic possible diabetic conditions either developing or being present, and in NO way is this simple test as good as having a FULL eye examination at a qualified Optition, Optomitrist or at a NHS Eye Clinic.
As a diabetic you are also entitle to a free FULL eye examination by such qualified individuals as these, and I would always reccomend that you get your eyes tested at least once every 2 years. A full eye test at the Opticions, Optomitrists or NHS Eye Clinic will check your visual acruity, peripheral vision as well as the symptoms of several other things which are not covered in the mass diabetic Retinal Screening program, such as possible Glucoma or Macular disease.
It's nothing to overly concern yourself and worry about but it's always better to say safe, and besides as a diabetic you are also entitles to a free eye examination here in the UK.. We diabetics don't get much for nothing out of the NHS but the free eye examination is well worth having.
Thank you. Yes I'm aware of this and having had laser eye surgery some years ago I have annual eye tests and examinations anyway and will continue to do so. Pleased to know they are now free! I don't enjoy the glaucoma test much but I will attend religiously, don't worry!

Reactions: Prem51

SenileTomato

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabeetus
Had my first retinal screen on May19th just about a week after type 2 diagnosis. I was told the results would take six weeks, but the results came this morning!

"I am writing to inform you that your screening result appeared normal. This means that you are at very little risk of sight-threatening retinopathy at this time. "

Sooooooooo relieved!
That's excellent, I wish I could say the same.

Reactions: dbr10

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sooooooooo relieved!
Well done

Reactions: dbr10 and Rachox

Dark Horse

It's not strictly correct to say that the screening test is not as good as having a full eye test at the optician/optometrist. The screening test and the eye test with an optometrist are not alternatives, they are complementary - people should have both. The screening test is better at detecting sight-threatening retinopathy and although screening may sometimes detect other eye conditions such as glaucoma and wet AMD, it is not designed to do this so a routine eye test is also required.

Reactions: Prem51

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my first retinal screen on May 19th just about a week after type 2 diagnosis.

I was diagnosed in February and have my first screening at the end of July!
Congrats on the good results!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed in February and have my first screening at the end of July!
Congrats on the good results!
Oh no! That's a long wait. Are you having yours at a hospital? I was fortunate that my optician does them.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes mine is at our local community hospital

Same as mine. It is the National Screening Programme. The wait is because the screening unit isn't a permanent feature. The team, with machinery, arrive once or maybe twice a year and fit everyone in during the period they are there. In my opinion it is better than those done at the opticians, but of course you also need to go to the optician for normal eye sight tests.

Reactions: Buttons11