Help needed

baileysmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have been a type 1 diabetic for 23 yrs and I've been a terrible diabetic for most of these years .... this is now resulting in high cholesterol, bleeds behind my eye, I feel really down about it and know I need to change my ways but I just cannot get my head in the right place .... has anyone else had these down times ? How did you cope and turn it round ?
Thanks in advance
Mandy x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @baileysmum :)

You're not alone - and you're not 'bad' :) There are many Type 1s here who've struggled, both for a short time and for much longer.

It's never too late to make improvements :)

When I feel,down about the daily grind that's Type 1 diabetes, I muster all my anger and say in my head that I'm not letting the b&*¥# diabetes win! That energises me to go forward a day at a time, working to keep it controlled and in its cage.

Reactions: novorapidboi26

beckysalvage

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @baileysmum,

Firstly, you are not a bad diabetic! We have all been there, and will all have good and bad days. I spent much of my teenage years not blood testing, with high HbA1c results and a general disregard for my diabetes. But I was fed up of feeling **** about it. Try and make one small change. For me this was actually testing my blood sugar (I once went 3 months only testing it once!) and that led me to adjust my insulin, to get better sleep and to lower the stress of also feeling like a bad diabetic. This disease is hard, and it never plays by the rules. But one small change can lead to a knock on effect of other things.

What one small thing could you change?

Chin up, we will not let it beat us!

Becky

Reactions: amylh1

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @baileysmum Dont be afraid to ask for help, just because your struggling doesn't mean that you should struggle alone, have a heart to heart with your DSN, be honest and open up, tell them that you need support, we are also here for you too. You recognise you need help now you need to ask for it, and don't feel judged because your not alone in how you feel, lots of others feel the same too :)

Reactions: azure