Type 1 Triggers for High BGs

Reeceey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hellooo,

I was just researching and wondered what triggers everyone has when their BGs are high?

I am currently have a stretch of High BG levels but can't seem to find or place what could be causing it, this isn't the first time I have had high BG levels and the doctors can't seem to understand why they are high so they have higher the insulin last year in December. I have done the DAFNE course and I am following the carb counting and making sure it is right however somedays it could be one or two grams out. I take my background insulin (Levemir) at the same time every morning and night but my meals are always at different times? Could that be a factor of the high sugar levels?

Everything just seems to go okay for a while and then drastically wrong and it is very stressful for me. I'm hoping there is someone who can help?

Thank you in advance :)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its hard to say really without the data in front of you but if your a higher throughout the whole day you could assume the basal is out....

it could be the ratios but you would want to rule out a basal change first before trying to tackle a handful of carb ratios...

diabetes in general wont stay the same for too long and thats down to many factors, most of which you cant control like hormones, stress, illness and seasonal changes.....

have you noticed a pattern to the high at all?

Reeceey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its hard to say really without the data in front of you but if your a higher throughout the whole day you could assume the basal is out....

it could be the ratios but you would want to rule out a basal change first before trying to tackle a handful of carb ratios...

diabetes in general wont stay the same for too long and thats down to many factors, most of which you cant control like hormones, stress, illness and seasonal changes.....

have you noticed a pattern to the high at all?

I haven't really noticed any patterns which is why I'm getting slightly stressed, other than being stressed about my levels thats the only factor I can put my finger on.

My basal is 22 units in the morning and 20 in the evening which I think is rather high?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For basal, it doesn't matter what number(s) you use so long as it's correct for keeping you on the level - I take 19 AM and 23 Evening.

How often are these unexplained highs? Seasonal? Once a month? (could be hormone related), weekly? Change in weekend pattern? or linked to Levemir cartridge change.

Then injection sites? All ok?

Might be worth doing a basal test anyway.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hormones, illness, stress, change of routine, change of weight, change in the weather - all these can affect blood sugars.

I'd also add that it's not unusual for basal needs and bolus ratios to need tweaking every so often. Sometimes no reason can be found - just the joys of Type 1 (not!)

Reeceey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For basal, it doesn't matter what number(s) you use so long as it's correct for keeping you on the level - I take 19 AM and 23 Evening.

How often are these unexplained highs? Seasonal? Once a month? (could be hormone related), weekly? Change in weekend pattern? or linked to Levemir cartridge change.

Then injection sites? All ok?

Might be worth doing a basal test anyway.

Okay, if it doesn't matter what the basal is then it might be that, i haven't done a basal test since about December due to being in the hospital for the same reason and the doctor wanting to check, so it might be worth doing a basal check.

The unexplained highs also come with unexplained lows as somedays they will be super high and the next super low so I was thinking it could have been either the carb counting/ratios or the basal?

The Diabetic Consultant also put me on Metformin tablets in December as he thought I could have been becoming slightly insulin resistant, could that be a factor?

Injection sites are all fine, I like to rotate my injections sites due to bruising very easily when I was first diagnosed

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's definitely your next step.....

test both your basal doses independently and adjust if you need to.....

Before the pump I was two doses too but they were up at 35 and 37.....

the dose just needs to go up to whatever dose it takes to hold steady.....that way your meal time doses can be as small and simple and easily managed as possible...

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The unexplained highs also come with unexplained lows as somedays they will be super high and the next super low so I was thinking it could have been either the carb counting/ratios or the basal?

BTW that sort of behaviour is a classic symptom of bad bolus injection sites, causing irregular insulin absorption or insulin pooling.

Could be for all sorts of reasons really, but go back to basics first.

Hannah11688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too have been struggling my sugars, I'm only 6 months diagnosed tomorrow. I find if I eat 5 hour Lynn then my sugars are generally within range. Usually slightly higher in the morning so I tend to add an extra unit or 2 with my breakfast. The heat has sent my sugars crazy. It's only recently I've hit on the 4/5 hr gap otherwise you're not getting a true reading. I also used have breakfast at 10 lunch at half 12 hypo at 3 as my body was still dealing with breakfasts insulin. As well as lunch. Now I try for 8, 1, 6 it's hard being rigid but it works for me. The only reason I do this is because novorapid stays in the system for 4 - 5 hrs xx

Annie_Suenfa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hellooo,

I was just researching and wondered what triggers everyone has when their BGs are high?

I am currently have a stretch of High BG levels but can't seem to find or place what could be causing it, this isn't the first time I have had high BG levels and the doctors can't seem to understand why they are high so they have higher the insulin last year in December. I have done the DAFNE course and I am following the carb counting and making sure it is right however somedays it could be one or two grams out. I take my background insulin (Levemir) at the same time every morning and night but my meals are always at different times? Could that be a factor of the high sugar levels?

Everything just seems to go okay for a while and then drastically wrong and it is very stressful for me. I'm hoping there is someone who can help?

Thank you in advance :)

U may need to increase your levimir levels. If u can, try to go to bed with a normal reading one day and wake up at 1am and 4am at night, test your sugars. If you find your sugar levels increasing, it means you are not taking enough backgroup insulin.

It could also be you are having a hypo at night and not waking up for it. In that instance, if you do not wakeup, your liver will kick into action and will release a ton of glycogen which has a long lasting effect for the next 24hours. You will find the next day the sugar is hard to manage and very high, the more you try to correct your sugar, the liver will still release lots of glycogen.

Taking regular cardio exercise helps with the sugar control, around 2hrs after meal is the best for a little cardio as you have enough insulin for the sugar to be used by cells during exercise.

Reeceey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's definitely your next step.....

test both your basal doses independently and adjust if you need to.....

Before the pump I was two doses too but they were up at 35 and 37.....

the dose just needs to go up to whatever dose it takes to hold steady.....that way your meal time doses can be as small and simple and easily managed as possible...

I think it would be best if I did a basal test, before I was taken into hospital in December, I was 30 units in the morning and 30 in the evening and the Consultant didn't like that my BGs were still so high even with such a high amount of insulin.

I am going to test the basal just to see if that needs adjusting and then go from there but I have also rung the Diabetic team at the hospital to see what they suggest but I am still waiting for a call back from them

Reactions: novorapidboi26

Reeceey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
BTW that sort of behaviour is a classic symptom of bad bolus injection sites, causing irregular insulin absorption or insulin pooling.

Could be for all sorts of reasons really, but go back to basics first.

Maybe its the injections sites but I do try and rotate them everyday but I can't feel any lumps as I've been told to look out for them. I haven't had a low BG for about 2-3 months now but sometimes they do come unexpected

I'll go back to basics and see what happens

Reeceey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too have been struggling my sugars, I'm only 6 months diagnosed tomorrow. I find if I eat 5 hour Lynn then my sugars are generally within range. Usually slightly higher in the morning so I tend to add an extra unit or 2 with my breakfast. The heat has sent my sugars crazy. It's only recently I've hit on the 4/5 hr gap otherwise you're not getting a true reading. I also used have breakfast at 10 lunch at half 12 hypo at 3 as my body was still dealing with breakfasts insulin. As well as lunch. Now I try for 8, 1, 6 it's hard being rigid but it works for me. The only reason I do this is because novorapid stays in the system for 4 - 5 hrs xx

Due to work and university its harder for me to stick to eating at certain times, I have tried to eat a the same times everyday but something always gets in the way of that

Its has its bad days and it has its good days, when I was first diagnosed about a year ago now I was eating at certain times and did everything I had found out or been told about it in appointments but now its not easy to do as I've seem to have been given more to do at work which puts more stress on me. I found that when I have days off or when I'm not at work my BGs seem to be somewhat normal and rarely high so whether it work or something else with me I don't know

Reeceey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
U may need to increase your levimir levels. If u can, try to go to bed with a normal reading one day and wake up at 1am and 4am at night, test your sugars. If you find your sugar levels increasing, it means you are not taking enough backgroup insulin.

It could also be you are having a hypo at night and not waking up for it. In that instance, if you do not wakeup, your liver will kick into action and will release a ton of glycogen which has a long lasting effect for the next 24hours. You will find the next day the sugar is hard to manage and very high, the more you try to correct your sugar, the liver will still release lots of glycogen.

Taking regular cardio exercise helps with the sugar control, around 2hrs after meal is the best for a little cardio as you have enough insulin for the sugar to be used by cells during exercise.

I'll do a few tests with my background insulin and see if that is the problem and needs adjusting as it might do or it could be I'm taking too much insulin during the evening. It all has to be tested again and adjusted where needs be.

I do try and go to the gym or do the workout DVDs I have at least once or twice a day as I like to keep fit but I haven't really noticed that is really changed my BGs it normally brings them down maybe by 1 or 2 but then I suppose it is a change