Feel as if I have messed my body up losing weight too fast

lindisfel

Expert
Hi, what I meant was you got your Hba1c down from the upper 50's to 44 in five weeks! Your hba1c works on presumed average of 12 weeks. If a person replaces red blood cells faster than average due to an health issue or other reason that could be the reason for ones hba1c dropping quicker than expected, thus giving one a false perspective. This would fit if your blood sugars are high on your meter irrespective of low Hba1c...... Sorry its just guesswork.
Blood tests done privately are very expensive in the uk. The NHS has a contract for tests, a decent doctor will not ignore your requests if you insist he/she will want to put your mind at ease. If not try shaming him/her by saying you can't afford to have them done privately or you would do so! regards D.

@lindisfel
is it possible to get these tests done anywhere but at the doctors surgery? he thinks i just have health anxiety but i really do think there is something else going on and he is very reluctant to give me any more tests. Again in January i felt better than i had done in years but now i am feeling awful so much of the time. My sleep is also really poor and i am up at least 5 times every night with a really dry mouth and need to urinate at that point aswell but the frequency of urination doesn't feel like the diabetes if you know what i mean.

What exactly do you mean about the rapidity that i replace my blood cells? is this too fast considering my change of diet and cutting right back on carbs. looking back i was having at least 5 pieces of white bread most days along with chips, chocolate etc.

Thanks

Last edited:

neer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

Sorry i've not introduced myself in the newly diagnosed section but I've been browsing the forums for the last few months and feel part of the community although this is actually my first post.

I was diagnosed on 20th December 2016 as a Type 2 diabetic with a hba1c of 58 and was 92kg (14.5 stone)to start with. I started reading the forums and watching a few videos and everything seemed to make sense regarding consumption of carbs and the effect it had on your body continually wanting to eat them. The first doctor i seen said i had to go on tablets straight away but i asked for 1 month to try and make some changes. My cholesterol was 6.4 and trigs were very high .I had about 2 to 2.5 stone that i could do with losing but still felt pretty healthy and strong although i had been running on empty for many years and always seemed to have problems with sleep.

I started off so well by cutting out virtually all bread, cereals, rice, chips, potatoes etc and started walking at least 4 miles every day although i was already doing a fair bit of walking anyway but had a really sedentary job and 2 hours of commuting each day. I was having bacon, sausage, egg, beans, tomato for breakfast almost every day or some slight variation of it and then having full fat yogurt with blackberries, blueberries, and a few strawberries at morning break followed by a salad and chicken dish at lunchtime. I would then have a salad with steak and mushrooms or other meat dish for tea and would have peanut butter or single fat cream at other times to satisfy my hunger if needed although i was rarely hungry.

I managed to get my hba1c down to 44 by the end of January ( yes within about 5 weeks) and had got down to 84kg with cholesterol going down to 5.7 and trigs and liver function back to normal. I was actually feeling better than i had done in many years and had fantastic energy. I had been checking my blood sugar and had seen my fasting blood sugar come own from 7.1 to low 5's which was superb.

I continued along the same path and then got down to about 78kg by the end of february of this year but started feeling a bit rough and had lost muscle along with fat. I didn't really notice it until i took a few photos and seen how thin i had got and noticed i had lost an inch of muscle from my thighs, going from 23" to 22". I still have a BMI of 25 but feel that going any lower than this would make me look far too thin. I must have been consuming far too few calories on my initial diet and this incorporated with the walking and 3 times a week swimming led to such fast weight loss.

I took myself back to the doctors although i actually also went to A and E first as i felt as if i was going to have a heart attack during march. I started going lightheaded and a bit dizzy while i was out doing my walking and also at other various times. Also started feeling a bit weak on the left side of my body and going dizzy when standing up if i knelt down. My blood pressure was around 140/80. The hospital and the doctors didn't take me seriously and just think that i had health anxiety which of course i have got a bit of but I really don't understand what is happening to me at the moment. When the doctor got another hba1c done it had gone down to 39 which he was very happy with but why am I feeling so bad. The blood test did show that i was dehydrated but i have been drinking over 3 litres of water every day so would have thought that would have made some difference by now. I have tried to start re-introducing carbs into my diet as the weight loss is too much but everytime i tend to eat it is as if someone has given my amphetamine or something similiar. I seem to be on an emotional roller coaster every single day and although i am eating enough to keep weight on it is such a chore.

Have i messed up my body in such a small space of time by trying to go low carb? and why am i having such adverse affects everytime i eat. I have been back the doctor to try and get on metformin or whatever but he can't give me it as my Hba1c is so low. whenever i eat anything with a smallish amount of carbs my bloodsugar goes up but as soon as it goes over 7mmol i start to feel so awful. Once it gets back down to 5 to 6 i feel OK This has been going on for six weeks or so now. Have i damaged my metabolism or have i become totally carb intolerant? I know my blood sugar is up again but i can't believe how bad a reaction i'm having to the food i am trying to eat as i really don't think i'm having that many carbs. Has anyone else experienced this?

@determined45yearold Hi, I was newly diagnosed in Oct last year with an HbA1C of 12 and now my HbA1C is 5.2. I can relate to what you are feeling at this point and I felt the same and had frequent lightheadedness (with slightest of movement), went on LCHF, portion control (you name it) basically did everything possible to get my sugar in range. My endocrinologist is very understanding and was very happy with the result. But, when I mentioned about how I am feeling with all the lightheadedness (my Bp at the office was 148/98) she said she doesn't believe as the symptoms I am telling her contradicts the BP reading. She then counselled me that I have turned out to be a type A personality soon after realising that I have diabetes and I am just STRESSING/ANXIOUS all the time about it and not to mention the heavy lifestyle changes I have taken upon (not gradually but very instantly BECAUSE I want my sugars in range). She has asked me to meditate/indulge in my hobbies/have a sweet/ do something I have been haunting my self no to, for a change etc etc. I don't know but its true in my case, I have become very aggressive in controlling my diabetes. I have slightly increased my Carb intake (on the first day it sky rocketed close to 200 :O and freaked me out but the next day on went good, just dont eat carbs alone mix it up), started meditating, I don't over exercise now and most importantly I SLEEP on time and for 7-8 hrs.

in case this resonates with you, you have done excellent in managing your diabetes, its time to rejoice life by not overmanaging it :)

N

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

Feel as if i've been getting worse over the last few days, sleep is worse than ever, now started waking up at around 3 in the morning and getting very anxious, also getting more pain on the sole and heel of my right foot which is starting to add to the worry as i'm getting concerned about not being able to exercise because of it. Feel as if i am now starting to get anxiety along with the other main problem of feeling as if i've been given amphetamine or something every time i eat some carbs. how can the carbs be having such a huge effect on me?

Chrissy8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Feel as if i've been getting worse over the last few days, sleep is worse than ever, now started waking up at around 3 in the morning and getting very anxious, also getting more pain on the sole and heel of my right foot which is starting to add to the worry as i'm getting concerned about not being able to exercise because of it. Feel as if i am now starting to get anxiety along with the other main problem of feeling as if i've been given amphetamine or something every time i eat some carbs. how can the carbs be having such a huge effect on me?

Hi. Im newly diagnosed although I personally think that ive been diabetic for two years. I too have this really weird thirst/dry mouth and throat that im trying to deal with by sipping water often rather than by the half pint. My skin is very dry and ive had bad headaches on one side almost every day for weeks :( ive had an excess of iron and yeah my liver function is off. I also have an underactive thyroid. Im having awful pain in both of my achilles and...now plantar fasciitis - that awful pain in your heel

Last edited by a moderator:

heli2010

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

Hi Im watching this thread with interest as it seems to be very similar to what Im experiencing but to a lesser degree having been told or fobbed off with the pains are neuropathy Im currently trialing alpha lipoic with no success so far but have had a limited try with sodium bicarb after I was waking at 4am every night stomach rumbling and tested urine to find an increased PH level

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Determined, have you had your thyroid checked recently? What you describe are common symptoms of hyperthyroidism, an over active thyroid gland.

Reactions: Freema

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi Brunneria, I understand what you are saying but this has been going on for weeks now and i don't seem to be getting any more carb tolerant. I never felt anything like this when i had undiagnosed diabetes and only felt bad when i had a really large meal.

This morning i had 1 piece of burgen linseed toast with butter , 1 avocado and 2 scrambled eggs along with 2 sausages and a two tablespoons of baked beans and felt terrible one hour later. People are talking about consuming 100g of carbs per day as low carb and i don't think i am getting anywhere near that as i can't take the effect it is having on me.
Effectively you have put your body in remission then are wondering why carbs effect you more.
This is me too. Although I cannot prove I've had remission numerous times in my life, I know I have. Then relaxed diet and exercise to find highly IR again. Each time getting worse and worse IR.
Your solution is to keep low carb, for life now. Or you risk IR getting worse and worse til you get like me. Morbidly obese and needing a lifetime of eggsized meals through bariatric surgery.
Keep up low carb but very very slowly reintroduce more veg to up your carb content.

Your experience just proves everything I've always thought about diabetes.
Very healthy people breaking their healthy diet and exercise due to illness, stress or trauma risk diabetes more than overweight individuals.
That is why some overweight people get diabetes and some don't! (In my opinion, only).

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Very similiar to low fat diet with high carb has caused damage.
Exercise and extremely healthy diet to the extreme causes problems when not so extreme anymore.
Changing diet can cause problems if not done under strict guidance.
Hence why I'm doing bariatric programme under supervision not on my own like lchf diet change. I've ended up on more tablets and more ailments by doing a strict diet too. Due to lack of supervision as dietician at the beginning rebuffed low carb. My new one doesn't.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What an absolute mess I have made of all this. Please don't anyone else ever try to get your hba1c down to good levels in a ridiculously short period as you will seriously mess yourself up.
I have only been getting 2 hours of sleep for around 4 weeks now. I'm not consuming enough calories as I have so many areas of tingling on my body and my eye starts to burn when I eat virtually anything. I have been waking up with a dry mouth for weeks and couldn't understand why. Think it is from not eating enough calories and this is causing me to wake up every single night.
MY diabetes is back with a VENGANCE, had a oral glucose test at the hospital last week and my fasting level was 9 and 4 hours later after 75g of glucose it was still at 7.8, the worst thing was that when the nurse went to take blood the vein collapsed and so did I, 3 of them had to quickly support me, get me in a wheelchair and then get me to a bed. THere was definitely panic in the air. The nurse didn't believe that I had fasted initially and then believed it was dehydration.
Starting to now get pains in my back that I'm sure are kidney problems and I am losing muscle mass continually. I woke 2 nights ago and done a urine test strip which showed really high amounts of leukocyte sand nitrates, something I have never seen change colour on the test strips before.
I'm lucky that I am seeing the endocrinology doctor on Thursday as every hba1c has come back low and so I'm not on any medications which I'm sure i need to start. I've taken some readings at home and they can hit 13 on occasion.
I have changed jobs recently and had to re-introduce linseed bread back in to the diet and awkward feeding times but I'm certain there is so much more going on.
Ha ha and my normal doctor who just sees the hba1c thinks I'm just anxious about everything without any reason as my weight and bmi still look good to him, I'm going through turmoil as my head is still like I'm on amphetamine when bloods are high along with all the tingling in hands feet, thighs. I really need to be eating more but can't cook virtually anything. 45 years old and don't know how to cook nutritious food.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@determined45yearold . I can see what's happening. It could be your thyroid or adrenalin gland playing up. Let the endocrologist do their job. They will help.
Mine is superb!
If you get mine he is very very respected in his field. Patients from far and wide.

They will test you for everything. They will get to the bottom of it for you.
Like any appointment take your questions in written form to remind you of your concerns.

You will be more yourself again soon.
Ps. Are you crying a lot?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What an absolute mess I have made of all this. Please don't anyone else ever try to get your hba1c down to good levels in a ridiculously short period as you will seriously mess yourself up.
I have only been getting 2 hours of sleep for around 4 weeks now. I'm not consuming enough calories as I have so many areas of tingling on my body and my eye starts to burn when I eat virtually anything. I have been waking up with a dry mouth for weeks and couldn't understand why. Think it is from not eating enough calories and this is causing me to wake up every single night.
MY diabetes is back with a VENGANCE, had a oral glucose test at the hospital last week and my fasting level was 9 and 4 hours later after 75g of glucose it was still at 7.8, the worst thing was that when the nurse went to take blood the vein collapsed and so did I, 3 of them had to quickly support me, get me in a wheelchair and then get me to a bed. THere was definitely panic in the air. The nurse didn't believe that I had fasted initially and then believed it was dehydration.
Starting to now get pains in my back that I'm sure are kidney problems and I am losing muscle mass continually. I woke 2 nights ago and done a urine test strip which showed really high amounts of leukocyte sand nitrates, something I have never seen change colour on the test strips before.
I'm lucky that I am seeing the endocrinology doctor on Thursday as every hba1c has come back low and so I'm not on any medications which I'm sure i need to start. I've taken some readings at home and they can hit 13 on occasion.
I have changed jobs recently and had to re-introduce linseed bread back in to the diet and awkward feeding times but I'm certain there is so much more going on.
Ha ha and my normal doctor who just sees the hba1c thinks I'm just anxious about everything without any reason as my weight and bmi still look good to him, I'm going through turmoil as my head is still like I'm on amphetamine when bloods are high along with all the tingling in hands feet, thighs. I really need to be eating more but can't cook virtually anything. 45 years old and don't know how to cook nutritious food.

As I asked you earlier, have you had your thyroid checked?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Sorry i've not introduced myself in the newly diagnosed section but I've been browsing the forums for the last few months and feel part of the community although this is actually my first post.

I was diagnosed on 20th December 2016 as a Type 2 diabetic with a hba1c of 58 and was 92kg (14.5 stone)to start with. I started reading the forums and watching a few videos and everything seemed to make sense regarding consumption of carbs and the effect it had on your body continually wanting to eat them. The first doctor i seen said i had to go on tablets straight away but i asked for 1 month to try and make some changes. My cholesterol was 6.4 and trigs were very high .I had about 2 to 2.5 stone that i could do with losing but still felt pretty healthy and strong although i had been running on empty for many years and always seemed to have problems with sleep.

I started off so well by cutting out virtually all bread, cereals, rice, chips, potatoes etc and started walking at least 4 miles every day although i was already doing a fair bit of walking anyway but had a really sedentary job and 2 hours of commuting each day. I was having bacon, sausage, egg, beans, tomato for breakfast almost every day or some slight variation of it and then having full fat yogurt with blackberries, blueberries, and a few strawberries at morning break followed by a salad and chicken dish at lunchtime. I would then have a salad with steak and mushrooms or other meat dish for tea and would have peanut butter or single fat cream at other times to satisfy my hunger if needed although i was rarely hungry.

I managed to get my hba1c down to 44 by the end of January ( yes within about 5 weeks) and had got down to 84kg with cholesterol going down to 5.7 and trigs and liver function back to normal. I was actually feeling better than i had done in many years and had fantastic energy. I had been checking my blood sugar and had seen my fasting blood sugar come own from 7.1 to low 5's which was superb.

I continued along the same path and then got down to about 78kg by the end of february of this year but started feeling a bit rough and had lost muscle along with fat. I didn't really notice it until i took a few photos and seen how thin i had got and noticed i had lost an inch of muscle from my thighs, going from 23" to 22". I still have a BMI of 25 but feel that going any lower than this would make me look far too thin. I must have been consuming far too few calories on my initial diet and this incorporated with the walking and 3 times a week swimming led to such fast weight loss.

I took myself back to the doctors although i actually also went to A and E first as i felt as if i was going to have a heart attack during march. I started going lightheaded and a bit dizzy while i was out doing my walking and also at other various times. Also started feeling a bit weak on the left side of my body and going dizzy when standing up if i knelt down. My blood pressure was around 140/80. The hospital and the doctors didn't take me seriously and just think that i had health anxiety which of course i have got a bit of but I really don't understand what is happening to me at the moment. When the doctor got another hba1c done it had gone down to 39 which he was very happy with but why am I feeling so bad. The blood test did show that i was dehydrated but i have been drinking over 3 litres of water every day so would have thought that would have made some difference by now. I have tried to start re-introducing carbs into my diet as the weight loss is too much but everytime i tend to eat it is as if someone has given my amphetamine or something similiar. I seem to be on an emotional roller coaster every single day and although i am eating enough to keep weight on it is such a chore.

Have i messed up my body in such a small space of time by trying to go low carb? and why am i having such adverse affects everytime i eat. I have been back the doctor to try and get on metformin or whatever but he can't give me it as my Hba1c is so low. whenever i eat anything with a smallish amount of carbs my bloodsugar goes up but as soon as it goes over 7mmol i start to feel so awful. Once it gets back down to 5 to 6 i feel OK This has been going on for six weeks or so now. Have i damaged my metabolism or have i become totally carb intolerant? I know my blood sugar is up again but i can't believe how bad a reaction i'm having to the food i am trying to eat as i really don't think i'm having that many carbs. Has anyone else experienced this?

hey dear when we go to eat a low carb eating style and also eat much less prefabricated food, then we need at bit more salt every day, and therefore you could become dehydrated even when drinking a lot of water, salt keeps together with other electrolytes the right balance of liquid and substances on each side of our cellwalls, if we get too little salt this balance can come out of whack... so keep an eye on that you get enough salt every day .. but never more than 2-3-4 teaspoons unless you live in a very hot climate where the body need a little more salt to do its maintenance

Drinking more water doesn´t necessarily keep you more hydrated ... in the northern hemisphere like north of europe most people do not need more than 2 liters on a day, unless in the summers heatwaves or when one does a lot more exercise. or if one has a bigger body.

another problem with drinking too much water when not getting the right amount of electrolytes like salt and magnesium and calcium and hydrogen phosphates and pottassium, is that water can in fact wash out important minerals and vitamins from our body and we don´t want that to happen.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/153188.php

Some of your bad feeling can also be this being used to very igh blood glucose and suddenly being in the normal level, the body can react to this as if it has had a hypo even when not really being hypo at all... it takes time for the body to ajust to changing lifestyle that much.. and when you are more used to it the body will start feeling normal levels as the right state to be in

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes it came back ok.
Think I have given myself heart disease and stiff arteries as my blood pressure is now around 148/90 some thing that I have never had showing so high in the past. I really have messed myself up, not enough muscle left on my body to absorb the sugars from food and I'm unable to cook a meal which is causing me to eat daft small amounts of food at a time. Think I need some serious help and quickly. My body is starting to consume its own muscle I am certain of it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Have you a booked appointment for endocrologist? Seeing gp again this week or next?

lindisfel

Expert
Yes it came back ok.
Think I have given myself heart disease and stiff arteries as my blood pressure is now around 148/90 some thing that I have never had showing so high in the past. I really have messed myself up, not enough muscle left on my body to absorb the sugars from food and I'm unable to cook a meal which is causing me to eat daft small amounts of food at a time. Think I need some serious help and quickly. My body is starting to consume its own muscle I am certain of it.
Hi determined, what was your potassium on your U&E's in march? Thanks. Hope you soon feel better. Try to take moderate steps in dietary change it may help rather the sudden switching in diets which causes your system to throw a wobbly. Try not to worry, I had hypertension for 30 years before I found the cause. Short term htn shouldn't be a major problem. Don't follow the salt recommendations now your bp has risen you may be salt sensitive. Be advised by your doctor on the subject. Too much sodium causes potassium to be lost via urine and causes high htn in some with adrenal problems. regards Derek

Last edited:

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Determined:
it does look like you need some sort of help, but maybe get confirmation of what's causing all these symptoms first; it *could* be your weight loss, but I'm not sure that's the actual root: getting your sugars down and losing weight doesn't sound like something that would generally cause the body to start consuming it's own muscle, and your actual weight loss doesn't seem that drastic- 14.5 stone to 12 stone in 3 months looks OK. I could have my figures wrong, but I believe that's in keeping with a good number of low-carb testimonials- I went from 16 stone to 12 stone in a similar time-frame.
I think you should look into the thyroid and nutrient issues etc mentioned above alongside any concerns about excessive weight-loss. Certainly don't feel bad about having 'messed yourself up': there may well be a way to get this under control. Good luck!

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my fasting level was 9 and 4 hours later after 75g of glucose it was still at 7.8, the worst thing was that when the nurse went to take blood the vein collapsed and so did I, 3 of them had to quickly support me, get me in a wheelchair and then get me to a bed

That is unsually high fasting glucose level, especially for someone who have been on LCHF for months with low HbA1c.
And if the OGTT cause you to pass out, you may be experiencing RH. Though at 7.8 mmol, that is unlikely.

RH happens when we move from diabetic to prediabetic stage where we would still have delayed excessive insulin resposne, but more insulin senstive. The insulin/glucose variability is too wide for our brain to cope.

Although your reported glucose levels are high, it sounds like you do not have enough glucose/ketones to keep the brain happy.

Perhaps consider some virgin coconut oil and see if that helps to stabilize things a little...and stay away from the frequent carbs excursions.

Last edited:

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, what I meant was you got your Hba1c down from the upper 50's to 44 in five weeks! Your hba1c works on presumed average of 12 weeks.

It is actually not an unusually large drop.

My HbA1c dropped from 11% (97) to 8%(64) within a month of LCHF.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Had an appointment with the endocrinologist and the oral glucose tolerance test went from a fasting of 9 all the way to 19 ( yes 19) before coming back down to 7.8
I am devastated as I have been put on glicizide and obviously have full blown diabetes and they are doing more tests to see if I need insulin.
Let this be a warning to everyone else to take things really slow and steady when they get diagnosed. I tried to fix it all as quickly as possible and have messed things up so badly. My eye is starting to burn, my thighs are burning, my feet are burning and my hands tingling. They started out nothing like this when I was diagnosed and low carbing and cutting out too many food items obsessing about keeping your pre and post time readings to below 7 becomes a bit compulsive.
I have probably advanced my diabetes by 10 or 20 years, what an idiot I am and the worst thing about losing the weight is that I now feel as if I have a weaker left leg and really am struggling to eat enough of any food to stop myself from wasting away any more. The muscle has mostly all gone and the sugars have nowhere to go.
How the hell do I get back to some form of normality?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I have some concerns over what you are posting, because I am not really sure that you are drawing the correct conclusions.

I too started out at 14.5 stone and am now around 12 stone and on LCHF.

I recognise some of the things you describe, but haven't reached the same conclusions.

Firstly you were worried about your thighs shrinking. This has happened to me as well but I put it down to the percentage of fat in the tissues reducing. If you lose weight your leg muscles have less work to do as well so may reduce a little in size.

Secondly you are trying to increase your carbohydrates to reverse your weight loss. Your BMI is fine but could do with going lower by the way. Eating more carbohydrate will not increase muscle mass. It will increase your fat stores. You increase muscle mass by exercise whilst eating enough protein.

I think one of your main concerns may be about your personal body image. You are used to being a higher weight and you see yourself as underweight when you are still at the high end of normal. People around me started to be concerned when my weight dropped below 12.5 stone because I looked so different. However they have now adjusted. I still hope to get down to 11.5 stone at some point.

I think your Doctor may have a point about your anxieties being a contributing factor to your current problems. You seem fixated on the low carb part of the diet but you haven't said much about the high fat and adequate protein part of your diet. It may be that you aren't eating a balanced diet. You seem to be changing things a lot which can also cause issues.

Fasting blood glucose test. If you are low carb you should increase your carbohydrate intake for several days before the test, or the results can be misleading.

Pains in your feet. I expected to have much better legs and feet but have suffered quite a bit from muscle, ligament and joint pains since my weight dropped below 12.5 stone. I thought less weight reduced these problems. My guess is that I have lost a lot of fat which was acting as padding. I have taken extra care to wear supportive footwear and this has helped enormously although I haven't returned to running. My main exercises now are walking and cycling.

Summary. I think that you have fixated on the low carbohydrate aspect of the diet and are blaming it for all your problems. I assume that you have used Ketostix or similar to confirm that you are still in ketosis? Some of the worst problems reported by people trying to become fat adapted, and in some so called 'low carbohydrate' studies are associated with the time it takes to become fat adapted which can be up to 4 weeks. If carbs are increased this knocks the body out of fat adaptation and into the no man's land of not running on fat but not having enough carbohydrates to run on carbs and so feeling dreadful all the time. A sort of perpetual carb flu.

Last edited: