Diabetics have to queue?

jimmyt1988

I posted a few thoughts on my blog the other day after a visit to Chessington World of Adventure:

The article reads:

Hi all,

Here’s some news that will get your blood boiling and your sugar levels low.

I decided to go to Chessington World of Adventures to have a ruddy good time and as usual, I went directly to the medical hut to sort out my disability bands for my diabetes; they allow me to go to the front of queues due to the risk of getting low blood sugars whilst waiting.

I was greeted by a disabled man (not sure what he had) and I explained my situation of being diabetic, handed him a note from the doctor clearly stating that it is a risk for me to wait in the queues and listened intently to what he had to say:

CWA Staff: “Is that the only disability you have?”

ME: “erm, yes, it IS the disability I have”

CWA Staff: “Well we only hand out the bands to people who find it difficult to wait in queues”

I was stunned. I simply said ok and left the hut. The story doesn’t get much better than this. Luckily I went back in with some guts and explained:

ME: “How is this acceptable? I pay £36 to enter Chessington to have a good time, not to constantly worry about my blood sugars. When I wait in a queue, my blood sugar levels lower; especially in the sun. I get to the ride and ignore my symptoms because I am excited about getting on and then have a hypo whilst on it.” (I don't really, but dammit, I'm making a point).

CWA Staff: “Well we will give you the band this time, but next time you need to bring a letter stating it’s difficult for you to wait in a queue”

Well hangon… Didn’t I just tell you it’s difficult you fool, and read the darn letter too, it explains it.

So anyway, I got the band but what a total waste of my time.

I guess what I want to try and say is that Chessington World of Adventurers is way off the mark when it comes to defining what a disability is.

If you are travelling to Chessington World of Adventures, make sure you have a good letter to explain it to the ***** staff :).

Hope you enjoyed the read.

redrevis

I've read of people going to Alton Towers and getting bands to skip the queue when their children have diabetes. I went to Alton Towers the other week, I queued with everyone else, I was in the sun, I didn't have any hypos as I took regular BG readings and corrected appropriately. I understand how people would get these bands for their kids as that's a whole different ball game, but personally I would never use my diabates to skip queues. Infact I can't see where I would ever use it as a reason to gain an advantage over a non-diabetic person. But maybe that's just me.

It does boil my blood when I see people cutting in the queues though. At Alton Towers a group of teenagers pushed in waiting for Oblivion and a member of staff saw them. He went over and said "you'll have to join the back of the queue", the teenagers argued as they wanted to be with their friends and the back wasn't that far away and the staff member just let them stay there and said "ok just this once". I couldn't believe it, what a bl**dy wimp. If you're going to tell them to get to the back you should follow through with it, not chicken out when they argue. In the end he actually waited until the teenagers had gone further along the queue and then let a load of people behind them join the fast track queue. So not all bad in the end :D

jimmyt1988

Cool, i'm glad you "just have diabetes" aswell. It's not a big deal ay :) . I mean, the injections, blood tests, need for constant self analysis. It's no big deal :) . glad you had fun at Alton...

For me, I feel that if I can avoid the risk of having hypos, I'd rather bloomin' avoid it. I don't know why you posted such a curt gesture and why you don't understand your own rights.

For goodness sake, I've had this stupid S***** disease bl**dy piece of **** for 14 years and I just feel that these huge bloomin' places should cut us some slack. "Is this the only disability i have??" OFCOURSE IT IS. AND ITS AN EFFING AWFUL ONE AT THAT.. I mean what a pile of s*** to say to a diabetic. I could teach a monkey to be a better member of staff than that t*****.

Thanks for voicing your opinion. And thanks for listening to mine.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
From the Chessington World of Adventure website:

RIDE ACCESS
We reserve a Ride Access Pass for guests who do not understand the concept of queuing, have difficulties with everyday social interaction, have a limited capacity to follow instructions or to understand others’ emotional feelings or expressions, and may become agitated or distressed having to wait for extended periods of time; plus permanently non ambulant guests.

Please note that having a registered disability does not automatically qualify guests to receive a Ride Access Pass.

Qualification includes the requirement of photographic identification on each and every occasion an application for a Ride Access Pass is made at Adventurers’ Services.

Other documentation required can include a letter from a consultant or GP detailing the condition that may warrant the provision of a Ride Access Pass, and/or Blue Badge. Please note we no longer accept DWP/DLA letters as acceptable documentation.

cugila
Forum Monitor

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sorry that you had difficulties with a member of staff in spite of your letter but I can't think that most adults with diabetes should need such a pass. I went with my grandchildren to legoland one very cold, very wet day in November.(they had been promised the fireworks). I queued with a 3 year old for his rides, I had to be responsible for his safety. Yes I went very low in the queue but I treated it as I would at home or out for a days hiking or whatever, took some glucose and got on with it.

Personally I view my diabetes as something to manage, to overcome. if necessary...just because I have diabetes it shouldn't stop me doing anything, whether it's a form of employment or any sort of activity.
Not so many years ago people with diabetes were thought to be incapable of many things. They were unable to work in some jobs(still partly true). Women were sometimes discouraged from having children partly for medical reasons but also because it was thought they might not be always able to look after their children when hypo. Even now, in the UK driving regulations are far more discriminatory than elsewhere.
These barriers are being broken down . People with diabetes can and have done everything from climbing Mt Everest to taking part in Olympic cross country skiing, to (in the US) being part of the armed forces. Women have children and care for them, in spite of injections testing and hypos.
So why should we demand to jump a queue at an amusement park? Isn't that reinforcing the stereotype that diabetics are unable to do these things?

C

catherinecherub

Seems to me that you are still very angry about having diabetes.
Perhaps your obvious attitude brought out the worst in the attendant?

redrevis

jimmyt1988 said:
Cool, i'm glad you "just have diabetes" aswell. It's not a big deal ay :) . I mean, the injections, blood tests, need for constant self analysis. It's no big deal :) . glad you had fun at Alton...
I don't know why you posted such a curt gesture and why you don't understand your own rights.
Hi jimmy. I like to think that I am coping with my diabetes as best I can and I am not one for feeling sorry for myself, I try to get on with life, as who knows how long life will last. The things you refer to as a 'big deal', yes I have to do them, do I stop doing activities that I did before my diagnosis, no i do not, I carry on as 'normal' as I can. As far as my 'curt' gesture, I don't feel my reply was rude or abrupt. It was my honest opinion. Obviously one you were not wanting to hear, as it appears you think that all people with diabetes should act as if they cannot cope with life as they did before diagnosis. I wouldn't start talking about rights though. As Cugila posted, it is not your 'right' to have this pass, it is at the discretion of the park. And as Catherine posted, you obviosuly have a chip on your shoulder which is blatently obvious to anyone you speak to. Maybe if you improved your attitude you might get a better response from people? Just a thought. :wink:
Quick question, being Diabetic, when entering a theme park, do you consider yourself as 'non-ambulant' now?

These barriers are being broken down . People with diabetes can and have done everything from climbing Mt Everest to taking part in Olympic cross country skiing, to (in the US) being part of the armed forces. Women have children and care for them, in spite of injections testing and hypos.
So why should we demand to jump a queue at an amusement park? Isn't that reinforcing the stereotype that diabetics are unable to do these things?

Exactly what I think. Very well worded Phoenix. 8)

calisto51

I agree just because we have a condition known as Diabetes why should that give us ability to jump queues at adventure parks or other venues. From my point of view the adrenilin rush on the rides would mess my Bgs far more than the wait. These places pull in large numbers of people why should we be treated any different. Last Sunday I undertook a 17mile walk for the British Heart Foundation it was my choice I detailed my condition on the registration form and made it my responibilty to ensure my wellbeing throughout the walk. I look at it like this there are many people with far worse conditions than I have who may require the help. The policies in place at these venues should help them, I can queue for a bus or the cinema I do not consider my Diabetes a disabilty its a condition which I manage to the best of my abillty

viv1969

I don't think Diabetes should be seen / classed as a disability, and I don't think people with Diabetes should be able to USE it as a disability.

Not having to queue? You'll be wanting a parking space closer to the supermarket next because the walk from the car might be too much. :roll:

croftmanor

Dislikes
arrogant and assertive drivers, people with BO, no excuse for it these days
Hi all
well i love a lively debate !!!
and its good to see how some peoples perceptions change when confronted with a major change in their lives,
I know i for one did refuse to acknowlage my condition when first diagnosed, even to the point that the metformin was an excuse to carry on eating all the wrong things and "letting the tablets do the work", thank god i have turned that around
So i understand how its difficult to make major changes, and how it can affect your outlook and attitude
all i can say is for who ever has this condition to face, tackle it head on, be positive and you will feel better about it all, eventually !!!
on the flip side, I have worked with people with other disabilities and there will always be a tiny portion of people who find it difficult to tackle their condition without support, all i can say is again patience and perceverance,
for all of you, I hope everyone/thing just keeps getting better !!!
best regards
Crofty

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
jimmyt1988 said:
ME: “How is this acceptable? I pay £36 to enter Chessington to have a good time, not to constantly worry about my blood sugars. When I wait in a queue, my blood sugar levels lower; especially in the sun. I get to the ride and ignore my symptoms because I am excited about getting on and then have a hypo whilst on it.” (I don't really, but dammit, I'm making a point).

So you lied to try and gain a privilege :roll: - because that is what it is - a privilege not a right. I have a autistic teenager and the queue waiting thing applies to him to a tee - we always appreciate places like this given us the privilege - we are grateful and never see it as a right - of course all privileges get abused by some - usually with the consequence of them being removed for everybody - and its a shame for those for who it is a must :cry:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
This is my personal opinion.
Whilst not wishing to criticise the OP I do find it strange that he thinks it is acceptable to use Diabetes as a reason to jump queue's ? Why ? I have been a Diabetic for 14 years and in that time have never once used or needed to use it as an excuse to avoid what everybody else does.

I wonder is there some other condition besides Diabetes which may have some bearing on what you said ? Why did a GP feel that you cannot stand in a queue like the rest of us and give you a letter attesting to that fact ? I inject, I test, I take medications, I have to check my BG levels throughout the day. That's what Diabetic's do.......nothing too difficult really.

A Diabetic may well be covered under the DD Act but that doesn't mean that they are so disabled that they cannot do everyday things. As others have stated, if your Diabetes is well controlled there is no reason at all why you cannot do normal things. If you were truly disabled as in a physical disability such as trouble standing because of an injury or such like as in the criteria I posted earlier I could understand the comment you posted.....as it is, I think you need to re-assess your outlook and certainly re-evaluate how you treat your Diabetes. I certainly wouldn't have been so polite to you if you had spoken to me in the manner you described...... :roll:

I also think that if the staff read this I would invite any of them to join and make a comment....might make interesting reading. Now THAT, would be lively I'm sure....... :twisted:

Ken

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have a controllable metabolic error, I AM NOT in any way "disabled".
I keep fit, have 2 feet in excellent condition,encased in comfortable trainers, and I can walk 10 miles and wait 10 minutes any day of the week.
I can and do do anything a non-diabetic does, except eat carbs in any quantity.
I do however dislike theme parks and would rather take kids to feed the ducks down on the Thames.
It's good value for money!
Hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
With respect to what everyone has said on this subject to date, I think there are other factors that need to be addressed regarding people with diabetes needing to jump queues and have a advantage over other fee-paying public.

Whilst most of us do manage to control our diabetes well enough to avoid having to ask for privileges such as a disability band, there are some that are less lucky and through no fault of their own have erratic control and may not be capable of standing for hours in a queue, mainly those with Brittle Diabetes.

Therefore, I would prefer to sit on the fence with this one as I don't know what the OP diabetes state of health may be, but in general if someones control is good I don't see the need to have favourable treatment in Theme Parks etc.

Nigel

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Thought i'd add my two cents.

I think it's down to the person, if someone with diabetes genuinely does have problems waiting in a queue or has a child with diabetes then that's the exact reason those bands were created!

When i went to alton towers i was low twice (due to the large walking around) i simply had some glucotabs and something to keep me going and got on with it and got in the queue with everyone else!!

But if i had no hypo awareness (which i assume if you were to collapse sunddenly it's not good being halfway in the queue where nobody can reach you) or like previously said some other condition which would affect your control then with my doctors permission to ask for a band i would...

i guess that guy could be labelled as ignorant but i'd much rather go for uneducated in depth with diabetes. if i needed a band and was refused i would explain why i needed one instead of losing my rag and being rude.

and finally this worries me:

''I get to the ride and ignore my symptoms because I am excited about getting on and then have a hypo whilst on it.”

That's very ridiculous you should never ignore hypo syptoms. if you went low on the ride it's dangerous for yourself and your ruining everybody elses good time too. and i'm sure you wouldnt want to embarrass yourself like that.

With diabetes i try to avoid any unecessary attention and anybody thinking i need to be 'looked after' i've only just got people to stop asking me if i should eat this or eat that. nevermind people thinking i can stand in a queue!!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My criticism of the OP wasn't that he expected to get a band for having diabetes - Who am I to judge someone I don't knows disability and their abilities- many diabetics have complications through their diabetes - this is the disabling factor not the diabetes itself - It was the fact that he made up a lie to try and get a privilege - if he was entitled there would be no need for a lie

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I am a diabetic but would in no way class myself as disabled! Its a condition not a disability!

Dollyrocker

I think you're taking the p**s.

If you can't stand in a cue for half an hour-40 mins then you certainly shouldn't be going on adrenaline rides :roll:

How is this acceptable? I pay £36 to enter Chessington to have a good time, not to constantly worry about my blood sugars.

How is this Chessington's fault? you chose to pay £36 to go there, it's the same price for everyone, you're using the same rides as everyone else. Suck it up

When I wait in a queue, my blood sugar levels lower; especially in the sun. I get to the ride and ignore my symptoms because I am excited about getting on and then have a hypo whilst on it.” (I don't really, but dammit, I'm making a point

Well that's a pretty rubbish point then isn't it? Again, that's not Chessington's fault or responsibility. You are resoponsible for your own wellbeing, not them. It's YOUR condition

Classing diabetes as a disability really irritates me, as I've said before, it's used as an excuse for people to take as much as they can for nothing. Wait until you have complications where your leg has to be amputated (god forbid) before playing the disability card

I am a diabetic but would in no way class myself as disabled! Its a condition not a disability!

EXACTLY!

jimmyt1988

I deal with my diabetes easily, great, fine, but when I go to a theme park, I just wanna flipping enjoy myself you know... Just not have to worry at all about it. Maybe even worrying about it isn't that hard, which it isn't but I have a "disability" so give me a break.

I think you're all trying to prove too much. Seriously. I skate, I surf, I eat cakes till my belly can't take it anymore, my blood sugars remain within 4.0 and 7.0... I don't care if I can cope with it, or if people think I can't cope with it. I don't care about stereotyping. I simply want to, for one day, not have to worry about it.

It is a right. And don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. If kids are reading this, people above are what make life boring.. Zzzz, set the ball rolling and start standing up for you think should be, because if you listen to these boring old farts, you'll never have the satisfaction of a day out and a day off of being bloomin' diabetic. I mean, after all.. We have to have something good happen to us ay, we deserve it.

So shh all of u lol...

It's like having a disfigured face or something... Don't make a point that you are the same as everyone else and bla bla i can achieve the same as you bla bla look at me climbing a flipping cliff.. Make the most of your uniqueness and understand when you can use it to escape the suckiness of it. etc etc.

Anyways,
have a good time trying to prove to yourselves and others that being diabetic isn't all that bad.. Whilst i prove to everyone that being diabetic is pretty awful and that we deserve a break every now and then.

*wiggles bum*

P.S, your "condition" disables you to produce or regulate insulin.

P.S, I didn't make a lie up :S

P.S I don't ignore hypo signs, infact im rather flipping good at controlling my sugars, i was making a point.

jimmyt1988

I cant edit after a certain time *scratches head* so Ill have to repost.. but just to say I wasn't rude to the attendant, i wasn't at all. I don't think I mentioned that I was. Neither did I lose my head about the situation, inside I was stirring like a pot of Naga Chilli, but I didn't get nasty... After all, I was trying to enjoy myself :)

My significant other made an extremely cool and cute point of having a gift card given to you and not using it. Diabetes is a **** all the time, i mean even just doing injections 5 times a day for the past 14 years sucks more than a baby on a dummy, 3-8 blood tests a day for the past 14 years... Do I, or any other person who endures such a ****** of an illness, condition or disability (whatever u wanna call it) not deserve a little break when going out for a day.

Blimey.