Job dilemma

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed recently, went back to work 5 days after being out of hospital.

A lot of great advice already given, here's a few ideas:

1 - don't try too hard to start with. If you're aiming for 4-8mmol/L before you've learnt how your body works (which I'm still nowhere near knowing, 1 month in), you will go low. Aim for somewhere around 8-12, so that if you swing down you have a buffer.

2 - exercise can mask the feeling of hypos. You must test. Don't think "we're almost done, I'll test then". Test. Set reminders - sometimes I would forget I even had diabetes. Don't be afraid to interrupt what's happening.

3 - you can go low many hours after exercise, including overnight or the next day.

4 - being new, the amount of insulin you need can change all of a sudden. If you took a "normal" dose, but suddenly needed less, you may need quite a lot of sugar to keep your levels up. Make sure you have that.

Besides that, try to enjoy yourself!

Reactions: annapanna93

Rakhi_gohil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely go for it! I'm always on my feet at work and active in general. I just make sure that i have some type of hypo treatment on me and im sure your manager will understand if you need 10 minutes just to sort yourself out :) dont let diabetes stop you from doing anything you want!

Lordy100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not many things
Go for it. Just make sure you have access to this site as you will have loads of questions that won't get answered by the medical profession as quickly as posting on here.

Make sure you get your prescriptions sorted out and sign up with a doctor or healthcentre near where you are going to be working.

Good luck