Hello feeling confused

Fluffycat_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello was diagnosed on thurs with tp2 bit of a shock as i went for blood tests for ladies prombles. Given metformin to take starting 1 a day uping to 4 in with in the month. Don't know what the level was not told. I guess that it is a combo of genes and life style as i am no slim jim but my dad was diabetic. I was only given all medical info about what could happen and then script for metformin no other advice. Been borderling before and had a glugose tolerance test which was fine but nothing this time so not sure how to adjust my diet as i would rather not take medication i know i need to cut down on sweet stuff and i think should be low carb but not sure.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to get a blood glucose meter and test before and after meals to check if what you eat does not spike your blood sugars.

The general rule is to cut down or cut out foods with a lot of carbohydrates. The means cut down on breakfast cereals, bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. Fruit juice should be avoided too. Some fruit such as bananas and grapes are best avoided as they are high in sugar. Take a look at https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb for some ideas what to eat.

dudester

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My advice ask as many questions as you can. To doctors, nurses and here. Everyone has their own experiences they can share. So far in my limited time here I've found people helpful and supportive even when i don't neccessarily agree with them.

Reactions: pleinster

Fluffycat_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you i have brought a meter waiting for it to come i try not to eat to many carbs but i have pasta once a week, fish in bread crumbs usally with fresh green veg might have jacket spud every 2 or 3 weeks any meat is grilled or roasted unless i have mince beef then that i cook in a frying pan but no added fat with nice weather eating a lot of salad which is easy as i love veg rather then a lot of meat but like fish. i work lates so i have a main meal at lunch i struggle with breakfast as often find i am not hungry if i do i usally have cornflakes. I try to follow a low gluten diet as have gluten sensatvity i have 2 slices of bread a day usally wholemeal seeded for sandwiches. Think my weekness is crisps and crackers with carbs and chocolate have pms/pmt so get really bad craving either sweet or savory. I struggle with excersise as have ostio arthrits in knees due to un healed fracture and i have lipo-lymphoedema my body proudces too meny fat cells which block the lymphitics system causeing swelling so where support stocks hip to toe. I work in a stressful job i work with adults with learning disabilites and challenging behavior 1-1 so my meals revole around them if usally eat after i have fed my person but that can be as late as 7pm i work till 10.30 pm so don't usally get up till 10 ish next morning.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To control diabetes without tablets I think that you will need to cut out more carbs - certainly if you are as sensitive to them as I am.
Your meter will soon show just what you can tolerate and still keep your blood glucose low.
I will tag @daisy1 to get the 'information pack' on what to avoid

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Fluffycat_ .. and welcome
You have made a good move coming here. Since joining this forum the folks here have given me so much info, advice and support that I am now much more confident about the journey ahead. So ask your questions and be assured that you will receive the answers that you need .. in my experience, it gets easier .. very quickly.

Managing and controlling your diabetes through exercise, diet and testing your Blood Glucose seems to be the best way forward. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I see that @daisy1 has already been tagged for you and I would suggest that you read up on the Low Carb Program in the information that she will soon be sending you. You might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. and as @Art Of Flowers has said above, the Diet Doctor websites ...
Low Carb Intro and Information
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

Hope this helps

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Welcome @Fluffycat_ You are clearly a very giving and caring person but the time has come when you need to put yourself first, You have made a good start by buying a meter, start to keep a note of what you are eating and how it affects your blood sugars 2 hours after eating. You may find that grain products spike your blood sugars so bread, breadcrumbs and oats are out. It takes a little while to adjust your regular shopping, and the first few weeks seem to take ages while you read the labels but it is worth it in the end. Over the summer salads are a great start then keep to vegetables that grow above ground. Find some form of exercise that you can do and enjoy, possibly swimming to ease your joints. Take a step at a time and rest assured you are not being selfish, just putting a value on yourself that others will respect.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Fluffycat_

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be pleased to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Fluffycat_

Welcome to the forum. You've already met some of the great crew too!

Good news is you have a meter on order, this is an invaluable tool to gauge what's happening to your BS on the day to day..

I'll also tag in @Bluetit1802

Don't hesitate to ask any question...!:)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
H Welcome it sounds like you have a very busy life. As you say you do like the carby stuff like crisps and chocolate we all have our weaknesses but good you are cutting it down. No one can tell you what you can or can't eat as we are all very different and it is trial and error. Many here do the LCHF..low carb high fat diet which is their personal choice as it is not the recommended NHS food guidelines for diabetes. I am sure you will find the way that is best for you

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pinkorchid the OP says she is confused already. Rather than just stating that LCHF isn't recommended by the NHS(which could put someone off trying it), maybe it would be helpful to tell her what diet works for you too so that she has a few to choose from? I think you yourself follow low carb and moderate fat as your personal choice?

Fluffycat_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you i am doing my best finding it a little confusing but slowly getting my head round the idea i think it is also hard for my mom she said yestorday she was frightoned of losing me told her no chance going to every think i can to be well as we live together she is happy to follow what ever i have to eat. I think she feels guilty as my dad was diabetic but did not look after himself but he had alzhermers so did not understand. Statred my pills yestorday and felt very emotional at starting them. Dreading going back to work as not got an understanding company all ready think i have too many health issues and don't understand what its like to be a carer at home as well as work. So that is on my mind.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a reason a lot of us low carb - it really works! :)

Next time you are in your surgery ask for a printout of your results, then if there is anything you don't understand you can ask here and someone will be able to help you. The more you tell us, the more we can help. Ask as many questions as you like.

Welcome to the forum:)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you i have brought a meter waiting for it to come i try not to eat to many carbs but i have pasta once a week, fish in bread crumbs usally with fresh green veg might have jacket spud every 2 or 3 weeks any meat is grilled or roasted unless i have mince beef then that i cook in a frying pan but no added fat with nice weather eating a lot of salad which is easy as i love veg rather then a lot of meat but like fish. i work lates so i have a main meal at lunch i struggle with breakfast as often find i am not hungry if i do i usally have cornflakes. I try to follow a low gluten diet as have gluten sensatvity i have 2 slices of bread a day usally wholemeal seeded for sandwiches. Think my weekness is crisps and crackers with carbs and chocolate have pms/pmt so get really bad craving either sweet or savory. I struggle with excersise as have ostio arthrits in knees due to un healed fracture and i have lipo-lymphoedema my body proudces too meny fat cells which block the lymphitics system causeing swelling so where support stocks hip to toe. I work in a stressful job i work with adults with learning disabilites and challenging behavior 1-1 so my meals revole around them if usally eat after i have fed my person but that can be as late as 7pm i work till 10.30 pm so don't usally get up till 10 ish next morning.

Welcome aboard @Fluffycat_

When your meter arrives you can use it to work out what your personal carb tolerance is. Everyone has different tolerances, but your meter will guide you, and it is a very good idea to keep a detailed food diary including portion sizes. If you test yourself before you eat and then again 2 hours after your first bite and look at the rise in levels from before to after, this shows you what that meal has done to your blood sugar levels. If it is more than 2mmol/l there were too many carbs in that meal. It is preferable to keep any rise under 1.5mmol/l if you can. Record your levels alongside your food. You will soon see patterns emerging and be able to change the portion sizes of the carbs or eliminate some completely. The ones to watch are bread (of any colour), rice, pasta, potatoes and breakfast cereals.

It is a big learning curve, but things do fall into place. Keep reading and keep asking questions.

By the way - there is no need to be afraid of fats! It seems from what you eat that you are avoiding them.

PS. I agree with @zand You need to contact your surgery and ask for a print out of your test results. This is important because you need to know where you are starting from, and not just the blood glucose results, you also need your cholesterol results and any other tests they included. They should all be on the same print out.

Reactions: zand

Fluffycat_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you had a load done cancer, glucose, iron, b12, folate, gluten , full blood count , u&e but not cholestrol but that as always been very low do eat fat i usally have two plain biscuits in a morning i do like hot choc usally with my su as he likes you to drink the same my craving at the momant is hobnob biscuits. I like mayo but have always stuck to low fat to try and aviod this due to family history. I will ask next time i at the drs what all my results were as told all fine apart from sugar and iron so got iron tablets to take.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Fluffycat_ A print out is a better plan as you need to know exactly what all your results were so you can compare them to future tests. Sometimes doctors say the results are fine, or OK or good, but it is my policy to find out for myself. Your levels may be within the standard guidelines but teetering on the edge of too low or too high - and you need to know so you can do something to stop them going over the edge. Many of us are caught out by GPs not telling us in time to change things.

If you are in England you may find your test results are available on-line. All surgeries were told to have this facility before April 2016 although some haven't. You could ask, and ask how to register for this.

Fluffycat_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you as far as i know they do appointments and prescriptions but nothing else but would save me a trip to drs thank will look into that x

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Fluffycat_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all got my meter testing going ok. Most tests show 7.9 and only a little rise of 8.5 had a blip sat pm my sugar went up to 11! But think i did not eat enough. As mom had prombles with her health we had a cooked breakfat so brunch so hard doing meals for one i did my self a tuna salad with lettce , cucumber, egg, slice of peppers but before blood sugar was 7.9 but 2hrs later went up to 11! Don't understand what went wrong i found out that my starting level is 7. I have an appoinmnet with my nurse mon pm. Sat am blood sugar was very low on getting out of bed it was just 7 my mom's freind told me that was low.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sat am blood sugar was very low on getting out of bed it was just 7 my mom's freind told me that was low.

Hi @Fluffycat_ welcome to the forum.

7 as a fasting test is not low. See the NHS guidelines posted by Daisy1 above, you need to try and keep your levels betwen 4-7 when you have not eaten.