Life with Libre

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@EngineerMe Is it still working?

I think I would keep it on and use it, and also send that photo to Abbott to see what they say. Have you banged it against something?

EngineerMe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@EngineerMe Is it still working?

I think I would keep it on and use it, and also send that photo to Abbott to see what they say. Have you banged it against something?
Yep accuracy still seems good so far. I've put a tubigrip over that part of my arm to try to keep it on place for now.

Nope I didn't knock it, just noticed it peeled up when I got out the shower.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep accuracy still seems good so far. I've put a tubigrip over that part of my arm to try to keep it on place for now.

Nope I didn't knock it, just noticed it peeled up when I got out the shower.
EngineerMe you may have noticed elsewhere in this thread I put Tegaderm over my sensor. This is mainly because I spend a lot of time in the swimming pool but to be honest I don't worry about it now. I was even in the spa last week and the Tegaderm held firm. I bought them in Boots pharmacy.

EngineerMe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
EngineerMe you may have noticed elsewhere in this thread I put Tegaderm over my sensor. This is mainly because I spend a lot of time in the swimming pool but to be honest I don't worry about it now. I was even in the spa last week and the Tegaderm held firm. I bought them in Boots pharmacy.
Ah ok thanks I will see if I can get hold of some at my local chemist :)

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
EngineerMe, my first started doing that this morning - I'm at day 9 though so reckon it will go the distance. I might try to keep it somewhat dry while in the shower.. have been taking steaming hot long ones so far (ahem...) and am surprised how well it's done.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @EngineerMe

I'm on my fourth sensor now. Affixing two of the four gave me vaccination-type throbbing for a few hours, but then the pain passed. (It may be relevant that I have little fat and minimal muscle, although the filament is only 4mm.)

My third sensor was the least accurate: it was under reporting by 1.0 mmol/L compared to my Contour Next, but as it did so consistently, this wasn't an issue so I didn't complain to Abbot. The others have been the same or within a few points of my Contour, again slightly under.

I wait up to 48 hours before activating a sensor, following @maglil55's advice.

My first sensor was hanging on "by a thread" by the end of the 14 days and I don't swim or anything. I've being using Tegaderm dressings since the second sensor onwards and they were still stuck like limpets at the end (difficult to peel off)!

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After my last report I left the sensor on until I can speak to Abbot tomorrow.
And yesterday afternoon it seemed to start reading ok and today it has been going up and down as I eat. So I checked it before dinner this evening and it said 5.2mmol on a scan and 5.2mmol on a blood test.

There may be something in this two day things - I would say it has been about two days between fixing it and it seemingly working correctly... I will post what happens over the next two weeks.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There may be something in this two day things -

This paper gives a good overview of things. See the quote below which explains what's going on with the two day thing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2903977/

"Despite the advances in the making of sensors with new and improved designs and materials, sensor insertion causes trauma to the insertion site. It can disrupt the tissue structure, provoking an inflammatory reaction that can consume glucose followed by a repair process.38–40 The interaction of the sensor with the traumatized microenvironment warrants the need for a waiting period for the sensor signal to stabilize, and that period varies depending on the sensor type."

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Scott-c. I've found mine was fine from day 1, but I have never had any irritation/allergy problems, so that may affect my sensors. Also I think I lucked out and got a "perfect" insertion (sheerly by luck.. I was so nerve wracked I jumped when it clicked)

EngineerMe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all for the advice about getting it to stay on. I bought some tegaderm and that seems to be doing the trick! :)

I haven't contacted Abbott yet as it seems to be holding now so I don't think there's much they would do.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was so nerve wracked I jumped when it clicked

I'm on about my 20th sensor and, believe me, I still jump a bit when it clicks! Compared to the dexcom insertor, which looks a bit like something you'd use for gelding cattle, it's a neat design, but there's always that sense of I'm pressing, pressing, not clicked yet, when will it click.... Although I think maybe part of the tension is thinking, jeesh have I just forked out 50 quid for a duff sensor which won't click!

Hope you enjoy it. I've found it invaluable. First week was just really watching out for hypos and catching them before they happened. Next week was learning just how little sugar was needed to head off a hypo at the pass, sometimes 4 or 5 gms is enought to tweak it back up long before it hits 4. Then there's seeing that quick foot on floor stab up in the morning and learning 2u will pin that just fine. And then white rice a nightmare (well, kinda knew that anyway!}, but brown rice fine. And, and and... Ten months using it, and I'm still learning from it. Don't know if you've read Sugar Surfing by Stephen Ponder. Compared to DAFNE, which tells you to not test between meals unless feeling hypo, and save corrections until meals, it's a whole new paradigm, being able to tweak and nudge on the fly before out of range happens. It's like wearing a bespoke suit instead of an off the shelf job. I'm at peace with my T1 purely because libre takes a lot of the guesswork out

Anyway, after pre-ordering in March, I've finally got a note through my door saying I've to pop round to the post office to pay some import tax on a parcel, so I'm heading round there now to pick up my Ambrosia Systems Blucon Nightrider. It's an NFC reader which goes on top of the sensor and then bluetooths results to a phone every five minutes. I only pre-ordered because they said it would alert for out of range, but then they changed their minds and said that would come in later versions! They're being coy about when or if that will happen. Might see if one of our IT boys can hack it... Assuming the **** thing works at all.

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That sounds interesting if it works! Will check out that book. I start insulin on Monday so I am hoping the sensor will help me see what's going on and help stop any cravings so I don't put on weight. My theory is that if I can control my BG levels tightly then the insulin won't cause weight gain. I am also low carbing so want to see the impact of food over a longer period than finger testing allows.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That sounds interesting if it works! Will check out that book. I start insulin on Monday so I am hoping the sensor will help me see what's going on and help stop any cravings so I don't put on weight. My theory is that if I can control my BG levels tightly then the insulin won't cause weight gain. I am also low carbing so want to see the impact of food over a longer period than finger testing allows.

Good luck with the insulin!

One tip for libre is don't get disheartened if it's not messuring the same as your meter. Some people write it off if they're different. But they are measyring different things, glucose in blood, and glucose in interstitial fluid, so it would be fluke if the two were the same. They'll be fairly close after fasting or when stable but likely not close at all when sugars are changing after meals. And there's also the inherent inaccuracies of all meters and sensors.

Mine tend to run about 1 below meter, but then my verio iq meter is often reviewed as running higher than others.

So because I know the sensor tends for ne to run a bit lower thsn meter I just add a bit on to get a sense of where it is.

I'm not that bothered about accuracy to decimal places. As long as there's enough clues from libre to suggest I'm between 4 to 7 I'm happy. It's more the sense of movement which libre gives that is priceless.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm after trends and what happens overnight rather than exact figures. I drive to work so will continue with Dario for testing whilst driving

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Scott-c, yes! Biggest impact so far has been not over-correcting if I start to head towards <4. Used to go way overboard. Also just being able to say "it's OK, I'm at 4 but not dropping". Understanding has come up hugely.
Now I just need to:
1 - not be afraid to correct properly. Have been taking it pretty easy, not giving enough, but think I'm getting a feel for it. (Can't use a flat correction ratio as my pancreas still puts out some insulin at times.)
2 - control my raging addiction to carbs inbetween meals

Reactions: Ledzeptt and Bon83

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So first few scans - 0.2 difference with metre which is reading lower. Stayed on through shower which I know I should have expected but was a little concerned. Interesting felt really tired when sugars were rising and normally would have eaten for energy but seeing the direction and scanning as often as I liked reduced the temptation. A new toy!

Reactions: Ledzeptt

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on about my 20th sensor and, believe me, I still jump a bit when it clicks! Compared to the dexcom insertor, which looks a bit like something you'd use for gelding cattle, it's a neat design, but there's always that sense of I'm pressing, pressing, not clicked yet, when will it click.... Although I think maybe part of the tension is thinking, jeesh have I just forked out 50 quid for a duff sensor which won't click!

Hope you enjoy it. I've found it invaluable. First week was just really watching out for hypos and catching them before they happened. Next week was learning just how little sugar was needed to head off a hypo at the pass, sometimes 4 or 5 gms is enought to tweak it back up long before it hits 4. Then there's seeing that quick foot on floor stab up in the morning and learning 2u will pin that just fine. And then white rice a nightmare (well, kinda knew that anyway!}, but brown rice fine. And, and and... Ten months using it, and I'm still learning from it. Don't know if you've read Sugar Surfing by Stephen Ponder. Compared to DAFNE, which tells you to not test between meals unless feeling hypo, and save corrections until meals, it's a whole new paradigm, being able to tweak and nudge on the fly before out of range happens. It's like wearing a bespoke suit instead of an off the shelf job. I'm at peace with my T1 purely because libre takes a lot of the guesswork out

Anyway, after pre-ordering in March, I've finally got a note through my door saying I've to pop round to the post office to pay some import tax on a parcel, so I'm heading round there now to pick up my Ambrosia Systems Blucon Nightrider. It's an NFC reader which goes on top of the sensor and then bluetooths results to a phone every five minutes. I only pre-ordered because they said it would alert for out of range, but then they changed their minds and said that would come in later versions! They're being coy about when or if that will happen. Might see if one of our IT boys can hack it... Assuming the **** thing works at all.
Your post was enough to get me googling Ambrosia Systems. Curious to know if it works. The Nightrider would be no good for me as it isn't waterproof. The Trans Am is but quite a cost on top of the £47 for the Libre.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Your post was enough to get me googling Ambrosia Systems. Curious to know if it works. The Nightrider would be no good for me as it isn't waterproof. The Trans Am is but quite a cost on top of the £47 for the Libre.

I'm curious to know if it works too! But it's Saturday night, I'm out for a few beers, will test it tomorrow!