Low Carb and Weight Loss

A

APBNAB703

Hi all,
After having type 1 for about 27 years and being overwight and feeling unwell for a long time, I am wondering if the way forward for me is low-carb? Can someone please give me information as to how low carb do I go and what effect this will have on my insulin levels and will I lose weight? xx

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi. :)

Not a T1 so no personal experience to help you but I would think that perhaps some information about what you are currently eating and what your numbers are would assist others to help you.

In the meantime I would suggest that you get yourself a Carb Counter book which will help you to make wise choices.

happyholly

Hi,

I was diagnosed with type 1, 4 years ago at the age of 21.
My weight has fluctuated since diagnosis. In the last few months my weight crept up and my insulin dose increased because of this.

I decided 3 weeks ago that I needed to lose weight and went on a low carb diet. I have already lost nearly half a stone so I would definitely reccommend low carbing.

You may need to do some research on what foods are low in carbohydrate. Most of today's diet seems to be made up of carbs.

My diet in the week usually consists of 2 weetabix for breakfast with unsweetened soya milk-(soya milk is much lower carb than cows milk, but not to everyone's taste). For lunch I will have a salad with chicken or tuna with a few oat cakes., or a soup. For tea I have a meal made up of protein and vegetables and a yoghurt.

At the weekend I go off the low carbing, don't think I could keep it up all week long and don't think it is good for you to cut out carbs completely.

If you decide to low carb, you're insulin doses will drop down, even more so as you lose weight. Not sure what insulin regime you are on now?

I have done the DAFNE course, so can easily adjust my insulin amount when I'm on a low carbs.

Also, I go to the gym a couple of times a week, which has helped with the weight loss.

Hope this helps.

Holly x

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
APBNAB703 said:
Hi all,
After having type 1 for about 27 years and being overwight and feeling unwell for a long time, I am wondering if the way forward for me is low-carb? Can someone please give me information as to how low carb do I go and what effect this will have on my insulin levels and will I lose weight? xx

Have a read of this previous sticky thread which is a guide to Low Carbing for Newbies posted in this section:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7215#p64246

Ken

britness

It is always an individual issue. But for me personally, being diagnosed with Type 2 in May, the diabetes clinic I attended showed me that a low carb diet was necessary - and I've lost 15 lbs (can you hear how happy I am!) in 3 months. :D

Most importantly, I've lost the "cravings" for high carb foods that I once adored, home-made white crusty bread, BIG bowls of pasta, nachos with creamy dips...

I'm happy to dip celery into salsa now -virtually no carbs and fulfilling my need to snack. I can't quite believe that I'm not frustrated and hungry all the time - I've found that crunchy raw veg and spicy homemade salsa are much too tasty to make me miss my old snacking ways.