Eat Well For Less (BBC1)

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone else watching this? The family have a child with T1D and it's interesting to see their shopping habits etc. with carb counting.

Unfortunately BBC got a few things massively wrong though, particularly when they proclaimed that "1 in 10 people in the UK has Type 1" .... rather than 1 in 10 diabetics!

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Anyone else watching this? The family have a child with T1D and it's interesting to see their shopping habits etc. with carb counting.

Unfortunately BBC got a few things massively wrong though, particularly when they proclaimed that "1 in 10 people in the UK has Type 1" .... !

I just tuned into BBC1 and they are talking about pork pie's.

It's about a boy named Harry, Greg is helping to make kebab's and couscous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was just watching it but turned it off in disgust once they started spouting the same old "carbs good, fat bad" mantra

Reactions: Mark_1 and Freema

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They were getting advice from diabetesUK which seems to recommend type 1 diabetics eat lots of carbs. They were also saying that carbs are an essential of your diet, which is not true.

Reactions: Mark_1

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Art Of Flowers . You are entitled to your opinion but as a type 1 diabetic of 27 yrs with no health issues other than being type 1 diabetic I can categorically state that carbohydrates are an essential part of my diet ( 150/180 g daily).
I have tried many diets, including the legendary LCHF, and as much as it may be a godsend especially for type 2 control , it definitely is not an option for me as an active energy burning type 1 diabetic.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I gave up watching and went and did something useful instead. The diet was very much as per the "Eatwell Plate" and Diabetes UK recommendations. They may perhaps be ok for a T1 who can balance carb intake with insulin, but I know that if I ate many of the carby foods being shown my BG would most certainly spike. I had four chips with dinner tonight and they didn't do my BG any favours!! I am tempted to give whole wheat noodles a try, if I can find any, as it seems they have a low GI and I might get away with a small quantity.

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only caught the end, but was horrified when they covered chicken with cereal, then served it with chips. And sat drinking coke. That's not 'eating well', for anyone. But I admit I should watch the whole thing before judging it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Unfortunately BBC got a few things massively wrong though, particularly when they proclaimed that "1 in 10 people in the UK has Type 1" .... rather than 1 in 10 diabetics!

OMG :wideyed:

Reactions: Freema

Mugwump

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Pump
I think I might have to watch this on iPlayer tomorrow! Is it still Gregg Wallace who presents it?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I gave up watching and went and did something useful instead. The diet was very much as per the "Eatwell Plate" and Diabetes UK recommendations. They may perhaps be ok for a T1 who can balance carb intake with insulin, but I know that if I ate many of the carby foods being shown my BG would most certainly spike. I had four chips with dinner tonight and they didn't do my BG any favours!! I am tempted to give whole wheat noodles a try, if I can find any, as it seems they have a low GI and I might get away with a small quantity.

Which just shows the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 :)

Your post caught my eye because I had chips too : D Yes, with insulin it's a different matter as we can cover the carbs we eat.

I haven't watched the programme but I might well watch on iPlayer.

Reactions: GrantGam

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I as a type 1 for 45 year eat as a normal person would - a few things but have them as a treat ie pies, chocolate etc but bolus for it, I never watched the show but will do and revise my opinion then, there is quite a difference between type1 and type2 diabetes, which even after so long I find it hard to understand at times

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My thoughts exactly... Looked like they where unwittingly "sneaking" uncounted carbs on that lad with the "LC" snacks..

& the girl (izzy?) only ate to colour.. Either red or orange. (With the pizzas, soup & "sketty" sauces.)

Interesting.. The so how was more about "budget" than diet..

Reactions: sadsocks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My thoughts exactly... Looked like they where unwittingly "sneaking" uncounted carbs on that lad with the "LC" snacks..

No the OMG was a reaction to the BBC saying that 1 in 10 people in the UK have type 1 ( as mentioned by Pinewood).

Not seen the programme yet @Jaylee

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
All in all (despite BBC lack of basic research - 1 in 10, jeesh! - and the ensuing carbs good or bad debate on here!) I thought it painted a fairly upbeat picture of a family dealing with the realities of looking after a T1 kid.

The lad Harry was kinda playing up to the camera a bit, but came across as a confident wee man getting on with testing, pumping, eating and running about like any other kid his age.

From that point of view alone, I think parents of newly dx'd kids might hopefully get some reassurance and encouragement out of watching it (although turn the sound down when mum night-tests him at 24!).

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No the OMG was a reaction to the BBC saying that 1 in 10 people in the UK have type 1 ( as mentioned by Pinewood).

Not seen the programme yet @Jaylee

Check it out! :)
The mum's well intentioned idea of "low cab snacking" was interesting... I've done a couple of experiments with the "Fridge raider" brand myself...

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Disappointed in this show tonight. The parents of the child claimed they were low carbing their Son, almost every scene (I think every scene) where the child ate was carb dominant. Further disappoint of Hala El-Shafie, she seems to adjust her views depending on the show she is on; the nutritional role she played on the last "Sugar Free Farm" demonstrated her knowledge of good fats - the farm milk supplied (under her direction) to celebrities had 3% more fat than full fat regular milk, she additionally prescribed butter and low carb meals for 15 days. I am disappointed as in Eat Well for Less tonight she only mentioned complex carbs for feeling full, when she clearly has knowledge that fats fill you up also - no balance, which was reflected in the meals the son had and which the 2 presenters took Hala's advice to run with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark_1

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Art Of Flowers . You are entitled to your opinion but as a type 1 diabetic of 27 yrs with no health issues other than being type 1 diabetic I can categorically state that carbohydrates are an essential part of my diet ( 150/180 g daily).
I have tried many diets, including the legendary LCHF, and as much as it may be a godsend especially for type 2 control , it definitely is not an option for me as an active energy burning type 1 diabetic.
They're a part of mine, as an active energy burning reversed type 2 as well.

Reactions: Pinkorchid

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well as a T2 person, I did view the show, also enjoyed the show. As I expected they were following the gov. advice for healthy eating for T1 diabetics ,,, but having said that, they had two parents that looked scared to feed their son anything, and son wanting to eat everything. .. into relaxed parents around food and a T1 son who was not starving 24/7 despite eating lots.
I hope the program gave reassurance to parents with children that are new to T1, that their child can live a 'normal' life, within the boundless set by T1 diabetes. Food can be eaten & numbers can be calculated to allow for an insulin pump to cope with this.