Disappointed..

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sudden rises in my daughter blood have led us to check the zero carbed drinks she has been having.. to my amazement and maybe stupidity I believed what it said on the label :-( we both feel dreadful that we assumed it was correct.. after checking zero carbs drinks the highest reading has been 6.8 on our spare monitor. We try our hardest at carb counting and read everything and carb everything.. tonight's dinner - cheeky lasagne.. niamh is 12 and as much as she loves salad and lowish carbs decided that is what she fancied.. home late from work and pick up a pre packed lasagne 400g so that's what we carbed.. however the pack including packaging comes in at 349 g.. am frustrated.com and need to vent with people that may have experienced this ...
do I need to complain.. has anyone complained .. or should I just stop moaning??

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well I found out that some cream-powders has glucose added to them... so when you put that cream in your coffee you are actually also adding kind of sugar ... never trust these kind of prefabricated foods... they sell a lot by adding sugar and high carbs elements

Last edited:
Reactions: alinofruit

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm not great with numbers, but...

6.8 mmol/l from the meter in the drink times 18 gives 122 mg/dl

122 mg/dl is the same as 1.2 grams per litre.

That's low, practically nil.

Whether it meets statutory definitions of zero carb, I have no idea, but given that meters are designed to measure blood, not drinks, there's probably a whole lot of things going which means the meter does not accurately measure what's in the drink, there will no doubt be specific equipment for that.

Still, I do occasionally meter a diet coke if it's come from a gun and I'm not convinced the bar staff have hit the right button, and those always show LO.

Out of interest, what was the drink?

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Diet Pepsi :-( obviously water is best but Niamh's given up so much, especially at nearly 13 she wants to drink things her friends drink

Thanks for the info

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Out of curiosity I just tested my diet coke and got 0.8 mmol/l

Reactions: Freema

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We did try it again tonight and it showed 1 maybe a dodgy batch; will just keep an eye on it