Exams

izzy_b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, i'm new to this forum! I'm currently taking my A-Levels and have noticed my blood sugar has been so much higher! It was high during my exam as well and I'm guessing this change is mainly due to stress. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar thing and if they found any way to reduce the impact of stress?
Thanks x

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @izzy_b
welcome to the forum !! :)
hopefully you will get some peeps your own age answering directly to you ,,,,,,,,but even though I am older I can honestly tell you that stress plays a huge part in life with D - I often experienced high BG's when the pressure was on in my job.

can you let your teachers know of your Diabetes so they can assist in provision of sweets / possible breaks -- or anything that will assist you in not being disadvantaged during your exams.

I would also discuss this with your DSN ( diabetic nurse ) as perhaps you may need to increase insulin levels

izzy_b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @himtoo ! I'm pretty sure they do know about it and I've contacted the school to ask about the exam board guidelines when dealing with hypos/hypers. I have tried using a slightly higher ratio, just worried about it going too low which would probably be worse!

Thanks for the help!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I totally get it !!! adjusting your ratios is a great idea -- but all of us D's know that madness can strike when we least want it to ( like during an exam )

this is the stupidest advice I have ever given( sorry ) but if you can try and run a bit higher on the day -- not sure where you normally run / aim for
if you aim for an 8-9 during your exam rather than aiming for a 5-6 perhaps that could help
( I wish I could just put a hex on all the examiners for you so you could do the exam and be you:) and not worry )

Rakhi_gohil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Heyy,

Yes I've experienced this before when i was taking exams, stress definitely plays a part and effects your blood sugars. I just took some extra units of insulin and once they were over i went back to my regime.

Its not a nice feeling taking an exam with high blood sugars it will stress you out more!

I hope your exams go well! Good luck

Reactions: izzy_b
Type of diabetes
Type 1
I just finished my exams (IB not A-level) and I had the exact same experience!! I do however try and stay on the high side during exams because I'm terrified of going low in the middle and everyone seeing me checking and eating! Have you ever gone low in an exam?

Reactions: himtoo and Rezvan97

izzy_b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not in a proper exam, luckily, but I did in like an internal exam a couple of years ago. Sadly I didn't properly notice until the end because I was sitting down and usually feel hypos in my legs! Let's just say I didn't do great in that exam

Reactions: Rezvan97

Miriamenily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hey love, stress is a killer with blood sugars!! This might sound so silly but it's techniques to stay calm I find help. I'm a serious stresser like it's crazy!! So tackling that made more sense for me and in turn it stops the high sugars because I don't really know how otherwise. I take a little extra insulin when I really can't get it down but others wise, green tea and breathing helps me, along side just talking myself through anxious situations. And I'm not one for holistic remedies I just dunno how else you combat stress

Reactions: himtoo and izzy_b

keitjones

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One thing I found to help with stress is exercise. Particularly when I was writing up.

pierre.jay.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just done 3 AS subjects and a full A level this year, and my GCSEs last year. I found that even though I didn't feel stressed out last year, the subconscious stress and never having a chance to relax meant my blood ran very high, sometimes above 20 through the exams. Also not exercising as much as usual probably affected this.thankfully the grades came better than I ever expected, although if I'm honest I could have maybe improved 3 of my grades which were really close with better control.
unfortunately i didn't really sort my BGs out this year either, and because of that i really struggled to revise. In my mocks I actually had a hypo, but during the main exams my blood was often high again.
Sorry I know this post isn't particularly helpful, but I figured you might like to know your not the only one t0 struggle with diabetes and exams.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Check and record your BG in the exam and at the end, as the exam boards will take sickness into account if your coursework marks (or mock mark) is more then the exam mark. There should be someone at your school/collage who deals with disabled students, they will know all the rules and who to context.

You can also ask for additional time for exams if checking and controlling your BG effect the speed you can answer the questions. Your school should also allow you to take the exam in a private room if it help and the exam boards will allow medical staff to be present for exams. There is also the option of taking papers at a different time of the day, but your school/collage will have to provide someone to guard you if you do that.

(A long time ago I worked at a collage for disabled students, and the exam boards at the time would agree to any reasonable request.)

izzy_b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just done 3 AS subjects and a full A level this year, and my GCSEs last year. I found that even though I didn't feel stressed out last year, the subconscious stress and never having a chance to relax meant my blood ran very high, sometimes above 20 through the exams. Also not exercising as much as usual probably affected this.thankfully the grades came better than I ever expected, although if I'm honest I could have maybe improved 3 of my grades which were really close with better control.
unfortunately i didn't really sort my BGs out this year either, and because of that i really struggled to revise. In my mocks I actually had a hypo, but during the main exams my blood was often high again.
Sorry I know this post isn't particularly helpful, but I figured you might like to know your not the only one t0 struggle with diabetes and exams.

After my first exam I really tried to get it under control. I found the best way to do this was to increase my lantus (long-lasting insulin) by only about 1 or 2 units as I found this actually really helped! My levels were still on the higher side but not crazy high like they had been in my first exam. You could maybe try this next year and see what happens? Can't let diabetes get in the way of good grades!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How are people coping the GP monitors and pumps that need a mobile phone to operate, as clearly access to a smart phone will no be allowed without a very good case and carefully control measures in place.

(It is 25 years since I worked with disabled students, a long time before we even had the web! So some modem issues we did not get. But even in those days I was supporting students with systems like what Stephen Hawking has.)

pierre.jay.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After my first exam I really tried to get it under control. I found the best way to do this was to increase my lantus (long-lasting insulin) by only about 1 or 2 units as I found this actually really helped! My levels were still on the higher side but not crazy high like they had been in my first exam. You could maybe try this next year and see what happens? Can't let diabetes get in the way of good grades!
Ok thanks, I'll try that! That's so true for sure

pierre.jay.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How are people coping the GP monitors and pumps that need a mobile phone to operate, as clearly access to a smart phone will no be allowed without a very good case and carefully control measures in place.

(It is 25 years since I worked with disabled students, a long time before we even had the web! So some modem issues we did not get. But even in those days I was supporting students with systems like what Stephen Hawking has.)
I have the libre and use the app on my phone. I had finger test strips and my phone in my locker at school so i could check before I went in but during the actual exam had no way to check.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Thanks @himtoo ! I'm pretty sure they do know about it and I've contacted the school to ask about the exam board guidelines when dealing with hypos/hypers. I have tried using a slightly higher ratio, just worried about it going too low which would probably be worse!

Thanks for the help!

Hi. I saw the word "exams" on the main forum page while I was bored and thought I'd check it out. 55 does not count as a "young person" I know..that went out the window decades ago! I was, however, a teacher for years (from wee kids to A level students) and was well involved in exam invigilation. The advice from @himtoo is very good, as I'd expect from him, and as a Type 1, he knows better than I do how to approach that. What I have noticed in your own post and replies is that you are healthily concerned, naturally stressed (by exams and by worry over the diabetes) and that you have a very mature and sensible approach to it, asking good questions and informing yourself (eg. pushing the school to ask for exam board guidelines). I never once had a kid with a serious diabetes related incident in class never mind in an exam...and I never did see any guidelines for exams that dealt specifically with diabetes....but, I do know that invigilators should/and will let you out of the room if necessary (recording it). If I was on my own as an invigilator, I would have called for back up so that I (or another teacher) would have sat with you until you felt up to going back in (if it wasn't too long)...kids can be in and out to the toilet (and that gets recorded too)...you can certainly have sweets/drink on your desk...If I noticed a pupil looking unwell or far too stressed I would approach them quietly to make sure they were ok...I would also do this is somebody dozed off (which happened...and not due to diabetes!). You would get noticed quickly if you were unwell.You could speak to the invigilator at the start of each exam so they are conscious of you, but an easier way is to speak to your Director of Studies or the member of staff who oversees examination process and it could be written on a note on the invigilators' desk. A note relevant to the days exams was common practice were I taught. Ask. Anyway, just thought I'd share the perspective. Chat to the young people here and listen to what they say. I am willing to bet you'll be fine and that you will do well regardless. Good luck.

izzy_b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the libre and use the app on my phone. I had finger test strips and my phone in my locker at school so i could check before I went in but during the actual exam had no way to check.

If you let them know, they will give you rest breaks. This way you can put your hand up if you ever feel "off" and they will let you check. They should then give you as much time as you need to deal with it

pierre.jay.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you let them know, they will give you rest breaks. This way you can put your hand up if you ever feel "off" and they will let you check. They should then give you as much time as you need to deal with it
ok thanks, I will do that next year!