Alcohol and pump t1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone.
I haven't posted before but I just wanted to ask a question regarding alcohol.
I've been type 1 for 13 years and went onto the animas vibe pump almost a month ago. Everything is going great!
However I have a party tomorrow night and I'm nervous about drinking alcohol and how my body is going to react now I'm on the pump. I'm not a big drinker but because of my lack of confidence in like to have a couple of vodka and diet cokes when I'm out. I knew how to make my sugars stay stable when on injections but I just wanted to know if anyone has any tips on how to keep things stable when receiving a constant flow of novorapid?
Thanks in advance for any advice given!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @Kickingitsass04 Welcome to the forum ;)

I am on a pump too, I tend to take the view that if i'm having a couple of drinks that I simply monitor my bg levels, I don't take 'quick acting' insulin for the alcohol, your pump is streaming insulin to cover your basal needs so it's fine to keep it on for drinking alcohol, however any more than a couple then I would suggest eating some carbs as your levels could dip, my advice is take it easy, test when you can but relax and have a good night :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I knew how to make my sugars stay stable when on injections but I just wanted to know if anyone has any tips on how to keep things stable when receiving a constant flow of novorapid?
Thanks in advance for any advice given!

I've found no difference whatsoever, my bg levels behave the same way with alcohol using a pump as they did on MDI (I'm a red wine drinker).

As juicy says the 'constant flow of novorapid' is just your basal injection on MDI, if after experimenting you find your bg does dip low through the night then you can always use a TBR (temporary basal rate), your pump DSN will explain how to decrease your basal rates if you do find you go low.

Just test regularly and enjoy the evening :)

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have noticed the same effects as MDI whilst drinking on a pump. I tend to dance/ stick to 0 carb drinks like vodka.
I forget to monitor but if you can please make sure to monitor your levels because vodka lowers me so much and with dancing it can get messy,.
Overall enjoy yourself and eat/check/take plenty of hypo supplies.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have a pump but I do find it difficult to drink alcohol even in tiny amounts. No - actually I don't have a problem with the drinking it's the affects . My issue tends to be the next day - about 12 hours later - my bg drops quite suddenly. I have no hope of exercise the day after an alcoholic drink, so now I tend to not bother drinking - I do miss a good beer or two with friends and try to keep a weekend free of exercise every now and again to have a little drink

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a 'drinking' profile on my pump.:) Reduced by 10% so I don't hypo, I stay on that profile the following day unless I see it climb a bit. I have to say my BG is fabulous when I've had a drink. It doesn't budge over night, made my DSN laugh when she could see the nights I'd been on gin and slimline!
I wish places would have a better selection of sugar free other than bloody Coke or tonic though. Gets boring after a while.
I'm ok if I stick to spirits and a mixer, if dancing is involved, I'll stick in a regular tonic.

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hello @Kickingitsass04 Hope you had a good night - let us know how you got on ? :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My DSN also approved of my red wine therapy nights too - as it also has a noticeable effect on my BG levels, my concern is always the next day - proceed with caution..

Reactions: Bon83

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My DSN also approved of my red wine therapy nights too - as it also has a noticeable effect on my BG levels, my concern is always the next day - proceed with caution..
I totally agree next day definitely requires caution. 12 hours approximately I think