Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
Hi everyone.
I haven't posted on here for a while as I've been trying a 'reverse your diabetes' site and trying to eat loads of fat, and less protein.
It has been a disaster!!!
I've put on 10 lbs ... even though my blood glucose readings haven't risen too much ... I'd say from about 6.3 following a meal to about 7.6 - 7.9 ish
My tummy is feeling thicker and I'm unhappy.
I think I should give up with the fat diet and go back to my more sensible vegetables, omelettes, raspberries, blueberries type of thing.
I don't touch red meat ... but do have chicken and fish quite often ... mostly vegetarian dishes though.
Has anyone else found difficulties with the high fat diet?

Reactions: Freema

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So what have you been eating? What is this site?
On any meds?
How often do you eat?
Sorry for all the questions but sounds like something is wrong..lets see if we can help..

Reactions: dbr10

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
So what have you been eating? What is this site?
On any meds?
How often do you eat?
Sorry for all the questions but sounds like something is wrong..lets see if we can help..
I found it online called Reversing Diabetes.
It suggests that eating a terrific amount of fat will reverse diabetes within a very short time, and sounded wonderful.
I still had my usual breakfast of porridge oats, with added pumpkin seeds, cinnamon, ginger, chia seeds, fennel seeds, and added a swirl of double cream. (I never get a BG rise with this breakfast) Porridge is made with coconut milk by the way.
I ate nuts as a snack, put cream and butter in hot drinks (they suggest it) ate lots of fatty foods,
They aid not to exercise ... which seemed odd, but I went with it.
I ate copious amounts of butter, cheese, extra thick cream ... you name it!
The only thing that they didn't agree with was my two squares of 85 per cent chocolate some evenings, and my porridge!

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
I found it online called Reversing Diabetes.
It suggests that eating a terrific amount of fat will reverse diabetes within a very short time, and sounded wonderful.
I still had my usual breakfast of porridge oats, with added pumpkin seeds, cinnamon, ginger, chia seeds, fennel seeds, and added a swirl of double cream and a few raspberries.. (I never get a BG rise with this breakfast) Porridge is made with coconut milk by the way.
I ate nuts as a snack, put cream and butter in hot drinks (they suggest it) ate lots of fatty foods,
They said not to exercise ... which seemed odd, but I went with it.
I ate copious amounts of butter, cheese, extra thick cream ... you name it!
The only thing that they didn't agree with was my two squares of 85 per cent chocolate some evenings, and my porridge!
I am down to one tablet of Metformin (from the original three per day a year ago) and I take Plant Sterols 800mg three times per day plus one vitamin b tablet per day.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A link to the site might be useful..
So you don't eat any food at all? just take in fat in coffee and tea?
Sounds a bit odd to me.. Why don't you just follow a regular low carb high fat diet so many here have found it works well..

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - the Reversing diabetes site is good and their ideas are sound but they are a little draconian as in it's their way or the highway. While you are still eating porridge it may not be causing a rise in blood sugar but it may well be stopping you reaching a ketogenic state where your body is burning fat for fuel rathe than carbs. While you are stuck in an in-between state it may be you are in the worst of both worlds. It is worth giving their method a go and reducing carbs to an absolute minimum and give it at least two weeks.
And even on a high fat diet it's possible to eat just too much. You eat til you feel feel and no more. Another very good site with a lot of scientific info is dietdoctor.com and you may find something there to help explain what is going on.
I actually disagree with the reversing diabetes site about exercise too - had this argument with them already. I find a brisk walk after meals is very beneficial both for blood sugar and weight loss. I tried to do 20 minutes twice a day. Very strenuous exercise on the other hand can have the effect of raising blood sugars. You really need to use your meter to test this out for yourself as people react differently to exercise as they do to foods.
you may also find intermittent fasting is useful for you both in losing weight and blood sugar control and info on this form Dr Jason Fung is also available on dietdoctor.com website.

Mark_1

Sounds like your not following the diet and then saying that the diet your not following isn't working for you.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Mal37 ..
I don't know the site (or the diet) that you have mentioned but it sounds as though it's not doing you any favours. I would point out, though, that managing and controlling your diabetes through exercise, diet and testing your Blood Glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I would suggest that you read up on the Low Carb Program .. the Low Carb Diet forum .. and the following Diet Doctor websites ...
Low Carb Intro and Information
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

Hope this helps

Reactions: Mal37 and Prem51

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @Mal37 I think you are close. Your previous eating "....vegetables, omelettes, raspberries, blueberries" is what I do with the addition of strawberries, blackberries, almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts, hazelnuts, cashews (less of), macadamia and pecan nuts. The nuts and berries I top with full fat yogurt, seeds and spices (ginger, cinnamon nutmeg and sometimes strangely turmeric).

Your meat and fish seem fine as well. You might what to consider dropping the oats or maybe taking circa 25 grams only. It looks like you are not going into fat burning mode. The high fat potion of LCHF doesn't have to be literal, it is just that if you remove mainstream carbs such as rice, pasta, bread and potatoes the protein and fat portion of a meal go up just via the removal of carbs. The fats I rely on are avocado, the nuts, and in moderation olive oil, coconut / coconut oil, butter.

In addition your metabolism might be low, especially if you have dieted in the past, so if you can exercise. I would start with cardio, move to high intensity and then a combination of cardio and resistance (HiiT based, for short time and big gains). The rise you might get in blood sugar initially should if you are lucky drop after a few hours.

This is a meal my lovely wife prepared tonight from her diet and weight management program (not trying to sell this, she does this for her Physio patients and is expanding her practice after getting great results with me and others):

upload_2017-6-8_19-49-33.png

So the above is prawns on salmon with roasted vegetables, 3 sweet potatoes wedges (you might want to leave these out, I often do), avocado, beetroot and home made pesto sauce. If I am having nuts and berries after dinner I would go a bit lighter on the avocado.

Keep us updated as there is a combination that will work for you.

Reactions: Snapsy

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi everyone.
I haven't posted on here for a while as I've been trying a 'reverse your diabetes' site and trying to eat loads of fat, and less protein.
It has been a disaster!!!
I've put on 10 lbs ... even though my blood glucose readings haven't risen too much ... I'd say from about 6.3 following a meal to about 7.6 - 7.9 ish
My tummy is feeling thicker and I'm unhappy.
I think I should give up with the fat diet and go back to my more sensible vegetables, omelettes, raspberries, blueberries type of thing.
I don't touch red meat ... but do have chicken and fish quite often ... mostly vegetarian dishes though.
Has anyone else found difficulties with the high fat diet?
It may not not be just the fat content but the overall amount that you are eating. You may need to reduce your intake to adjust. If you are uncomfortable with your current weight then bring it down to where you feel more relaxed. The previous diet regimen sounds more suited to your needs,

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
Hi - the Reversing diabetes site is good and their ideas are sound but they are a little draconian as in it's their way or the highway. While you are still eating porridge it may not be causing a rise in blood sugar but it may well be stopping you reaching a ketogenic state where your body is burning fat for fuel rathe than carbs. While you are stuck in an in-between state it may be you are in the worst of both worlds. It is worth giving their method a go and reducing carbs to an absolute minimum and give it at least two weeks.
And even on a high fat diet it's possible to eat just too much. You eat til you feel feel and no more. Another very good site with a lot of scientific info is dietdoctor.com and you may find something there to help explain what is going on.
I actually disagree with the reversing diabetes site about exercise too - had this argument with them already. I find a brisk walk after meals is very beneficial both for blood sugar and weight loss. I tried to do 20 minutes twice a day. Very strenuous exercise on the other hand can have the effect of raising blood sugars. You really need to use your meter to test this out for yourself as people react differently to exercise as they do to foods.
you may also find intermittent fasting is useful for you both in losing weight and blood sugar control and info on this form Dr Jason Fung is also available on dietdoctor.com website.
Ahhhh ... someone who seems to understand my predicament and how I got there! Thank you. I was actually doing well on this site but saw the reversing one and gave it a bash for several weeks/months. I am definitely NOT going back there as to do without my porridge is bad enough ... but I miss my walks (as does my little dog) so I am back HERE to stay :)

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
It may not not be just the fat content but the overall amount that you are eating. You may need to reduce your intake to adjust. If you are uncomfortable with your current weight then bring it down to where you feel more relaxed. The previous diet regimen sounds more suited to your needs,
Yes it does ... and is. It's just the idea of actually reversing the diabetes got through to me and I jumped in there expectantly. Should have known there would be catches! LOL :D

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
Hi @Mal37 I think you are close. Your previous eating "....vegetables, omelettes, raspberries, blueberries" is what I do with the addition of strawberries, blackberries, almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts, hazelnuts, cashews (less of), macadamia and pecan nuts. The nuts and berries I top with full fat yogurt, seeds and spices (ginger, cinnamon nutmeg and sometimes strangely turmeric).

Your meat and fish seem fine as well. You might what to consider dropping the oats or maybe taking circa 25 grams only. It looks like you are not going into fat burning mode. The high fat potion of LCHF doesn't have to be literal, it is just that if you remove mainstream carbs such as rice, pasta, bread and potatoes the protein and fat portion of a meal go up just via the removal of carbs. The fats I rely on are avocado, the nuts, and in moderation olive oil, coconut / coconut oil, butter.

In addition your metabolism might be low, especially if you have dieted in the past, so if you can exercise. I would start with cardio, move to high intensity and then a combination of cardio and resistance (HiiT based, for short time and big gains). The rise you might get in blood sugar initially should if you are lucky drop after a few hours.

This is a meal my lovely wife prepared tonight from her diet and weight management program (not trying to sell this, she does this for her Physio patients and is expanding her practice after getting great results with me and others):

View attachment 23100

So the above is prawns on salmon with roasted vegetables, 3 sweet potatoes wedges (you might want to leave these out, I often do), avocado, beetroot and home made pesto sauce. If I am having nuts and berries after dinner I would go a bit lighter on the avocado.

Keep us updated as there is a combination that will work for you.
Yes. I haven't eaten rice, pasta, bread, potatoes or cakes (other than a sliver once in a while) for over a year. I also even cut out bananas ... my favourite fruit! I do eat most of what you seem to ... and ... if I'm honest FAR too many nuts (my passion) but I have bacon and eggs cooked in olive oil sometimes as well as the avocoda like you do. I had been told that I could eat until I was full and yet I never did feel full, strangely enough! I only weigh 10 stone (140 lbs) now so not overweight as such, but felt happier with a slimmer waist since I'm thick waisted ... so this is why I dislike having gained some pounds on the reversing diabetes way of eating.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Combining fat and carbs is not a good thing for most people - the grains and seeds you are eating could be enough, particularly at the start of each day, to increase insulin and so prevent the weightloss you wish for.
Perhaps take a look at the Atkins rules of induction and the list of foods for doing that, as I dropped half a stone in three days - far too fast so I had to eat more of the same foods to slow it down, as that might give you a better range of foods and also start weightloss.
What has always been emphasised, right from the days of William Banting is that it is the quality of the foods eaten which make the difference. I notice that people who are making progress, both as 'victims' and 'facilitators' in weightloss often echo the same sentiments as the originators.

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
Hi @Mal37 ..
I don't know the site (or the diet) that you have mentioned but it sounds as though it's not doing you any favours. I would point out, though, that managing and controlling your diabetes through exercise, diet and testing your Blood Glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I would suggest that you read up on the Low Carb Program .. the Low Carb Diet forum .. and the following Diet Doctor websites ...
Low Carb Intro and Information
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

Hope this helps
Thank you for the links ... and advice. I will look at all those links x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Whilst it's OK to have a sensible amount of fat when low-carbing that doesn't mean having loads of fat; you will put on weight with that approach. Just low-carb and have enough protein and fat to keep you feeling full. BTW porridge is not a good idea for breakfast. Oats as part of muesli and cold milk etc is better if still carby so keep the portion size down.